Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Old 25-10-2008, 08:03 PM

Default 230E Cold starting probelms

Hi. I suspect that I might not be the first person to start a '230E cold starting problems' thread on here so forgive me if I'm covering old ground.

My Mercedes is a 1988 230E saloon and it is very difficult to start from cold. It will start eventually but it takes a lot of cranking on the starter - the colder the weather, the worse it is. When it does start, it'll settle into a smooth idle after about a minute or so.

I thought it might be the cold start valve but it hasn't got an electrical feed - tested with the ignition on but not cranking the engine, I was working on my own.

I thought it would be the thermostatic switch (the two pin coolant sensor to the front of the head on the near side) so I fitted a new one but there is still no feed to the cold start valve.

Is the cold start circuit controlled by a relay? I've removed the fuse/relay box cover but there isn't a fuse/relay list on the inside of the list. I don't have the hand book for the car and the Haynes manual doesn't have a fuse/relay list - surprisingly.

I would be very grateful of any advice, it's rather spoiling an otherwise brilliant car.

Thanks
Old 27-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Car: C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency

Hi Flemo,

Welcome to the forums. Hope you have found some answers to the problems you've been experiencing. If not, check out this search...

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/se...archid=1092516

Best of luck,

Blakey.
Old 27-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Car: nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994

Make sure your spark plugs are in good order before you spend money on anything else.
The leads, distributor cap and rotor arm can also be trublesome after a few years of life.

It may be the fuel problem that you suspect but without a good ignition system starting problems will manifest themselves.
Old 31-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Threadstarter

Thanks for the two posts.

wireman - I agree, starting is problematic without a good spark but the plugs and leads are new (replaced just before I bought the car last month) and the distributor cap etc is in good condition.

Blakey - thanks for posting the link to the search for me, I found the answer in your list of posts. My basic problem was no feed to the cold start valve. There is a relay (possibly a surge protector?) next to the ECU behind the plastic panel that fits behind the battery. There is a 10 amp fuse in the top of it and has someone had posted, the fuse had blown. Pop a new fuse in and all is well.

Thanks.
Old 31-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Car: 2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

That will have been the fuse on the OVP relay

Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time