How to replace W210 ARB drop lilnks and bushes
Replacement of these parts can be performed with the vehicle on ramps, although if you have access to a lift it would undoubtably be easier.
Time taken: about 1.5 hours
drop links £6.70 +VAT each
ARB bush £3.95+VAT
Bolts 90p+VAT each. or treat the old ones with thread lock when refitting
13mm or 1/2" socket
T50 Torx bit
Silicon spray grease
Here're my pictures for this operation:
1. If it hasn't already been done place a mark on the anti-roll bar so that when you come to reinstall it you can ensure that it is located centrally to the chassis. I put a blob of paint in the middle in line with the centre of the gearbox.
2. Undo the T50 torx bolt at the bottom of the drop link. These bolts will probably have been treated with thread lock and may be troublesome to remove.
3. Undo the four 13mm bolts which attach the anti-roll bar to the chassis. Be careful, the bar is heavy and give you a good bruise if you're not ready.
4. With the bar removed you'll need to remove the old drop links from it. They are only a push fit but will probably be troublesome.
5. The main ARB bush holder will come apart into two pieces. Try and remember the location of the heat shield for reinstallation. Slide the bush off the end of the bar.
6. If it's been a long time since they were last replaced you'll probably notice some bad pitting and rust underneath the old bushes. Best to clean and treat.
7. Spray a light covering of silicon grease or something similar over the bar to make it easier to install the new bushes.
8. The new drop links are handed. It's best to install them before installing the ARB as when underneath the vehicle you may not be able to get sufficient leverage to pop them over the ends of the bar. The rubber "ear" faces away from the lower wishbone and towards the car centre line.
9. Replacement is now the reverse of removal. Don't tighten up the bolts until you are sure that the ARB is centralised.
ARB bush bolts to chassis: 20Nm
Drop link to lower wishbone: 80Nm
If you wish to discuss this thread pls post replies here
E320 CDI (W211) - Avantgarde 12/2006 - Sold
E320 CDI (W210) - Avantgarde 09/2000, 126kmiles 0-100-0 - Too good to be forgotten
CBR600 - 05/1993
2 x R1200GSA's - 01/2009 (Gone )
Caravelle - Executive 174 03/2007