Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Car: 1999 CLK430,2007 VITO 3.0V6 120CDI Dayvan , 1997 C240 Saloon (hers ), 1993 W124 220TE (hobby? )
Default personal Number Plate Spacing??

Just bought a plate that I want to use as a personal plate It does however require a bit of non legit spacing to work best . The Plate is J80 YDT and is required to be J 80YD T I dont want to do anything with the Font just the spaces. I am aware of the new anti enjoyment /pleasure legislation on number plates which is partially about them being able to be read by ANPR , cameras and suchlike, the rest being Envy politics . I also know that at MOT Time I will probably have to put a properly spaced Plate on to Pass as this is now a big brother check item ( nothing to do with roadworthiness ) So I am wondering, any reccomendations on how to get the plate done as all the halfords type places will only do correct spacing.......... show plates ordered via the web ?
I am hoping that as long as I do not "put myself in the frame" with any road traffic police that it I should be able to get away with it and would be surprised if an ANPR couldnt still read it
Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Car: A diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjamesbo View Post
So I am wondering, any reccomendations on how to get the plate done as all the halfords type places will only do correct spacing..........
Weired, that....

Just buy a plate that is suitable, instead..as whatever you do it will only read one word...and that wouldn't be one that I would want to be known as...
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Car: A car

If you're caught by the police after having messed with the spacing, your plate can be taken off you and it doesn't matter how much you paid.

XX - Helen - XX
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 100%Bitch For This Useful Post:
hawk20 (07-07-2010), tjamesbo (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Car: Mercedes 190e 2litre auto 1990/Renault Clio 1.2 2010

You're right, ANPR cameras struggle with non-standard fonts/spacing. You'll be able to get some plates made up online without too much trouble. If the police do stop you you'll probably be given a VDR (Vehicle Defect Rectification) notice. You'll then have 14 days to change the plate and get an MOT station to endorse the VDR. The MOT station will charge you for doing this. You'll then have to take the completed VDR to a police station for the paperwork to be completed. Seems like a lot of hassle to me just for a bit of posing.
Of course if you're one of the 'Haven't you got anything better to do with your time' brigade, then expect a fixed penalty without being given the option of displaying the plate legally.
Personally I don't get the obsession with personalised plates, after all they don't make the car any better do they?
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffP For This Useful Post:
tjamesbo (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:56 PM

Car: 2005 CL500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjamesbo View Post
Just bought a plate that I want to use as a personal plate It does however require a bit of non legit spacing to work best . The Plate is J80 YDT and is required to be J 80YD T I dont want to do anything with the Font just the spaces. I am aware of the new anti enjoyment /pleasure legislation on number plates which is partially about them being able to be read by ANPR , cameras and suchlike, the rest being Envy politics . I also know that at MOT Time I will probably have to put a properly spaced Plate on to Pass as this is now a big brother check item ( nothing to do with roadworthiness ) So I am wondering, any reccomendations on how to get the plate done as all the halfords type places will only do correct spacing.......... show plates ordered via the web ?
I am hoping that as long as I do not "put myself in the frame" with any road traffic police that it I should be able to get away with it and would be surprised if an ANPR couldnt still read it
It's also about a member of the public being able to read them if an incident occurred. Wrong spacing can be and often is very very confusing. The reg. mark is there for a reason, not just as your personal signature.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Threadstarter

Car: 1999 CLK430,2007 VITO 3.0V6 120CDI Dayvan , 1997 C240 Saloon (hers ), 1993 W124 220TE (hobby? )

They're such killjoys arent they bureaucrats ! I agree It doesnt make the car any better, but there again neither does polishing / washing it ,its just a bit of fun / personalisation
I have often thought that if they untied themselves a bit from bureacracy and legitimise DAVE 1 DAVE 2 etc they could easily sell them and make an absolute mint and you would have to be illiterate to not be able to remember the number of the car that was driven away I mean what is easier to remember for the average joe public in an accident situation a personal plate or X 639 MDT ???? I agree it has to be readable by ANPR so no silly Fonts .

Last edited by tjamesbo; 04-07-2010 at 02:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjamesbo For This Useful Post:
television (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Car: 2005 CL500.

How long do you think it would take someone to read and work out your reg. mark if you space it the way you'd like? Remember that when Halfords etc make up a plate for you they also add their details, and thus they also would be in trouble if the spacing is deemed illegal.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Car: Mercedes 190e 2litre auto 1990/Renault Clio 1.2 2010

I agree tjamesbo, I think it'd be a money spinner. The problem is that many people buy a plate like yours and then not only do they mess with the spacing but they fettle the '8' so that it looks like a 'B'. Give them an inch and they take a mile. That's why the government decided to 'get tough' on illegal plates. I believe the rules were tightened in 2001 when the year identifying system was changed. Another favourite is to put black and white plates on a vehicle registered after the 1st January 1973. I just don't know what difference people think this makes, it must be a total bind having to swap them every year for the MOT. Always assuming of course that the MOTer knows the law.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffP For This Useful Post:
tjamesbo (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Car: 2010 (60) C200 Exec SE Est 2010(60) Lotus Evora Fully Loaded

You can have show plates made up on line. Ebay have plenty of examples.

These are on mine and are very nice:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-MERCEDES-B...item35aa81aab1

Legally the manufacturer of the plate has to put their details on. For show plates they don't. This makes the plates illegal for a second reason (ie no manufacturer details).

Legally you cannot change the spacing. The maximum penalty is a 1000 fine and lose the right to the plate.

Do the police bother is another question, and I suspect the answer is - not unless they are bored or you have upset them for something else.

Whether you take the risk is your decision, but that is what you could be in for if you re-space the plates.

You can always add the translation of the plate underneath in the footer. Those that know will notice, those that don't wouldn't have noticed the plate anyway.

I do understand the private plate thing, but IMHO only really for hiding the age of a car, which tends to lead peope to keeping it longer and hence actually saves you money in the long run.

BTW, the CLK has the plate L80 OGS - legally spaced
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Car: C220 CDi (09)

You'll be ripe for a pull over by the boys in blue, everytime you hit the road ..... so I would'nt bother.

And also ........... you hav'nt bought a personal plate ...... you've purchased the right to display a cherished plate ....... that still belongs to the Secretary of State for transport ........................ you dont own it me old mucker..... sorry !!

The lord giveth ( for some green wedge) ............ the lord can taketh away !!