Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Old 17-02-2017, 03:01 PM

Car: clk 280

Agree with Crash1, stick to standard OEM filters
Old 17-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Car: C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Matty View Post
thought so, but they were the only two that I knew for certain.
They are odd as in the filter is fixed in the housing and comes as 1 part, there are 2 (left and right)

Old 17-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Threadstarter

Car: c350cdi

ordered new standard now thanks
Old 17-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Car: R320 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sus View Post
ordered new standard now thanks
You know it makes sense
Old 18-02-2017, 07:14 AM

Car: C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
You know it makes sense
It's the only choice
Old 18-02-2017, 06:21 PM

Car: 97' C250TD Sport

Just my 2p, I replaced my standard MB filter with a K&N one 2 years ago and I only had it in a week before selling it on. No increase in power, I actually experienced an increase in fuel consumption and a decrease in torque, once I got a new standard filter and put it back in my car was back to normal.
Old 24-02-2017, 04:47 PM

Car: 2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate

I've replaced standard paper filters with "High Performance" versions on several cars - not the Merc, like the OP says there isn't one for the newer 350's it seems.

Using the filter on my Impreza as an example:

- It provides better filtration, more "bits" get stopped by the filter, less chance of crap getting sucked in. Can't be a bad thing.

- It's MUCH better build quality, less chance of it flexing in the air box and not sealing properly & allowing crap to be sucked in. I've seen paper filters get bent / split due to being quite weak - my filter is strengthened with a wire mesh.

- Air filter can be re-used after a quick clean, potentially saving a little money. I've had the same Greenstuff filter in my Impreza for many years now, still going strong.... though Impreza paper filters aren't the most expensive if I'm honest lol.

- Air does flow better through it, meaning the engine wastes a fraction less power pulling air in. Negligible, especially if boosted, however...

- While peak numbers on a dyno don't appear to change - at least not outside a possible margin of error for the most part - the initial throttle response can seem improved and slightly more crisp.

A quality air-filter - so better filtering and flow properties - is often just a small part of lots of other tweaks. I've seen modded cars running poorly after just replacing an after-market filter with a standard paper one, as it was part of the overall package so to speak. Doing just a filter - either swapping to or from an aftermarket - would likely make little difference alone. Like any hardware mod, combined with tweaks to the map, even just a filter can make a difference to how a car feels, if not give the "20bhp just from a filter" that some might claim

As an aside, I've done a fair bit of mapping - not for a couple of years though -and you can often see measurable differences after relatively small hardware changes. A friend and I actually fitted an after market top-mount intercooler to his Impreza. We were told I'd not make a difference, we needed a front-mount etc. but we changed a fair few peoples minds with the measurable improvements we got from this relatively straight-forward mod.

Anyway, sorry, I can ramble on about this stuff...

Scoob.
Old 24-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Car: W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition

Do you think your experience and level of detail in measurements exceed those of the design and development teams at the OEM..?

Seriously we get asked this all the time. The only way "performance" air filters improve volumetric efficiency is by reducing the vacuum barrier they present to the intake manifold. That's it. That means less filtration. There are no two ways about it. In addition, cars not remapped and modified to require much greater mass air flow cannot take any advantage of the reduced vacuum barrier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craiglxviii For This Useful Post:
rorywquin (02-03-2017)
Old 24-02-2017, 05:48 PM

Car: '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe

Aftermarket 'performance' filters do not filter better.
There are numerous independent tests proving this. Paper element filters still provide some of the best filtration available.

The only way to increase flow without sacrificing filtration (like for like physical is to increase the surface area and the only way to do that is increase the size of the air box.

The 'performance' filters industry is built on some of the most successful snake oil marketing on the planet.

Last edited by LostKiwi; 24-02-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 24-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Authorised Forum Supporter

Car: CLK 430 BRABUS Plus A170 CDI BRABUS

Guys come down to me and i will take you for a ride in my CLK430 which runs a few little tweeks nothing you cant carry out yourselfs , but i do run green filters and have been for 2 years now, i get 28 mpg on a run even at 80 mph and as the 430 is known to be sluggish on pull away and power this car is only 4cars behind an M3 and still gaining pace

Unit 1EB, Whitehouse Farm,Pages Lane,Tolleshunt D'arcy. Maldon. CM9 8AA
Tel : 07861 745402