Old 16-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Threadstarter

Car: c350cdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Matty View Post
K&N or BMC don't do a filter for the 350
looks like i have no choice but new standard ones then
Old 16-02-2017, 11:03 PM

Car: Peugeot 508 RXH (His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)

Afraid not, I had a BMC with my 270 and will admit I didn't get much extra induction noise but I did get a nice amount more waste gate chatter, and it may have been ever so slightly better on throttle response but it was only slight,

Oh I did also clean and oil mine every 5k any more and I think as the others say your running the risk of allowing more crap into the engine.

Matt
Old 17-02-2017, 06:10 AM

Car: W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sus View Post
cars already mapped,just thought id put k&n in as you can clean and re-oil so no need to buy filters again
Sus,

I work in automotive design and benchmarking. We test these things regularly. K&N filters make zero, say again zero impact on engine power. We have tested on dozens of cars over a decade and found no effect whatsoever. Put bluntly the OEMs are better and have more experience and money to spend on developing intrinsically-safe engine parts than aftermarket companies do.

What they do do however is contribute significantly to particulate buildup and associated wear patterns in the intake...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiglxviii For This Useful Post:
geraldrobins (17-02-2017), Kersidan (17-02-2017), LostKiwi (17-02-2017), sus (17-02-2017)
Old 17-02-2017, 07:07 AM

Car: C220CDI W204 Elegance with Comand

The only time oiled filters are better than paper is when both are dirty. Just change paper regularly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yugguy For This Useful Post:
Craiglxviii (17-02-2017)
Old 17-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Car: W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition

In terms of noticing a difference in engine power, something else of interest is that human response feedback mechanisms are logarithmic. Hold a one kilo and a ten kilo mass each in different hands and you can obviously tell the difference. One and two kilo you can tell the difference. One kilo and 1.5 kilo and you can just tell the difference... as the differences between two things that you're comparing reduce down, your ability to perceive those differences reduces in sensitivity at a rate that very closely approximates a log curve.

So 150:152bhp, you would not be able to discern any difference at all. 150:160 you might, might just notice it, assuming that no-one had told you that there was a difference. The key here is that if you've been told about it, you'll go looking for it. And what is amusing is we find that people will swear down blindly that car XX is noticeably faster/ better performing etc than car YY even though there are no differences at all to them (except for the driver comparing them being told beforehand that XX has been uprated, tuned etc).

The placebo effect is responsible for a lot more in one's perceptions of how things perform/ handle than you might think!!!
Old 17-02-2017, 09:23 AM

Car: '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiglxviii View Post
In terms of noticing a difference in engine power, something else of interest is that human response feedback mechanisms are logarithmic. Hold a one kilo and a ten kilo mass each in different hands and you can obviously tell the difference. One and two kilo you can tell the difference. One kilo and 1.5 kilo and you can just tell the difference... as the differences between two things that you're comparing reduce down, your ability to perceive those differences reduces in sensitivity at a rate that very closely approximates a log curve.

So 150:152bhp, you would not be able to discern any difference at all. 150:160 you might, might just notice it, assuming that no-one had told you that there was a difference. The key here is that if you've been told about it, you'll go looking for it. And what is amusing is we find that people will swear down blindly that car XX is noticeably faster/ better performing etc than car YY even though there are no differences at all to them (except for the driver comparing them being told beforehand that XX has been uprated, tuned etc).

The placebo effect is responsible for a lot more in one's perceptions of how things perform/ handle than you might think!!!
The rule of thumb I found was 10%. Very few drivers will detect a 10% increase in power. Interestingly we are more attuned to when things get worse as almost all drivers will detect a 10% drop in power.
Old 17-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Car: C220CDI W204 Elegance with Comand

I will say that back in the day on my Vec B V6 that had a badly-routed inlet to the airbox, replacing the airbox completely with a BMC CDA closed kit did help it rev more freely.

If I look at the Merc airbox though I don't see how even a closed aftermarket kit would improve it.

Although I do wonder why they route the inlet pipe across the front of the engine to the passanger side cutout instead of using the shorter route to the driver side cutout. I can only assume it's to do with noise reduction.
Old 17-02-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostKiwi View Post
The rule of thumb I found was 10%. Very few drivers will detect a 10% increase in power. Interestingly we are more attuned to when things get worse as almost all drivers will detect a 10% drop in power.
If you look at the natural log curve you'll see at 100 (1% of total) is where a change is just discernible, and 1000 (10%) is around the apex of the inflection point. Everyone is slightly different of course but this is a good approximation of the human ability to discern change in physical stimuli.

You are right though on things behaving worse than we are accustomed to! Odd one that, the curves when plotted together have a disctinct separation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	log curve.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	33457  
Old 17-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Car: C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Matty View Post
K&N or BMC don't do a filter for the 350
No one does
The Following User Says Thank You to JBell For This Useful Post:
V6Matty (17-02-2017)
Old 17-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Car: Peugeot 508 RXH (His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell View Post
No one does
thought so, but they were the only two that I knew for certain.

Matt