Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums > General > General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Car: 1987 W124 300D 200k

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemercedes View Post
Most cars make me happy to be in a MB.
- Except most new MB's!
Exactly. I mean the Serena/Prius maybe ugly but atleast they're cheap utilitarian, practical and do a job. I'd rather have either than something like this.

https://www.google.de/search?q=merce...q=mercedes+cla
Old 12-01-2017, 03:35 PM

Car: W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by d215yq View Post
Exactly. I mean the Serena/Prius maybe ugly but atleast they're cheap utilitarian, practical and do a job. I'd rather have either than something like this.

https://www.google.de/search?q=merce...q=mercedes+cla
Yeah, who'd want one of THEM?

I saw two yesterday, one saloon and one estate parked next to each other. Very pretty cars indeed, but just looked a bit cramped.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:45 PM

Car: C250 W204 Petrol Coupé

This came out today

https://www.petrolprices.com/diesel-...69b7f34cb7e688
Old 12-01-2017, 03:49 PM

Car: W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Seeing as Petrolprices originally started up to increase the buying power of motorists, failed totally and catastrophically- I joined up in its first year, it never produced a brass ha'poth- and now exists to do generic editorials, I don't put that much credence to its work.

That said, current diesel technology will continue to evolve to meet whatever political consideration is given to pollution for whatever year the car is built in.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Car: Mercedes ML 270 CDI 2002 Comand,Parktronic,Memory seats,family pack,Tiptronic.
Default I love euro vans !

I had a 2.0HDI of these for 6 years, it was one of the best cars I ever owned
Old 13-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Car: C Class 220 CDi & CLK 200 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiglxviii View Post
And that... is a classic case of not understanding what EVs can do at their current state. Where I work now there are 40 various EVs, including Leafs (Leaves?) that are all used as commuting & family cars, the owners all think that they're superb and do exactly what they want them to do. One chap who's about 6 foot from me now, a very highly outspoken engineer, hated his for the first week. Then he adapted his driving style to suit and now wouldn't change back.

Remember, 80 years ago trams were called "silent killers" for the same reason, but there wasn't a call for trams to be banned for it...
I'm not sure if that's a criticism or not. I have to deal with the situation I am faced with. The leccy cars on offer at work are all several years old now, one owner, great condition, low mileage. They're probably fairly low tech compared to what we can get now.

I'd love a Tesla. I can't afford one. Neither do I want to put my life savings into a new / nearly new leccy car which might be much better than I imagine they are. I'm quite happy to pay the tax to drive something I know I like at reasonable cost.
Old 14-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Car: 2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
The really noteworthy point in this article is the likelihood of increases in both the vehicle and fuel tax. Given the UK financial situation, Hammond will be over the moon to be handed a god-given (with a small g) opportunity to rape and pillage the diesel-driving motorist and hide behind the 'good for the planet' label, just like all two-faced politicians seize the moment. No doubt he'll be able to say it wasn't him or the Tories who fed the false information to the public.

The motor and fuel industries should working 24 hours a day to find solutions for the existing vehicle parc - where many owners - yes like me, switched to diesel because I was fed the "it's cleaner and greener now" message by government.

Like Craig, I jioned up to petrolprices.com for the same reason - in the anticipation of saving money. The only thing it really does for me nowadays is provide a point to check local prices if we're travelling.

Last edited by davemercedes; 14-01-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 15-01-2017, 01:46 AM

Car: 97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.

The common denominator as Naraic said is "Overpopulation", too many on this tiny island, NHS full, roads full, schools, dentists , the list goes on, "Brexit" came 10 years too late, they are all here now and they reproduce quickly encouraged by the good old Brits welfare system. Diesel cars etc are just a diversion from the real problems we will face, also the issue should only apply to heavily overcrowded cities on still air days, which are few and far between. Herbie.
Old 15-01-2017, 09:24 AM

Car: '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERBIEMERCMAN View Post
The common denominator as Naraic said is "Overpopulation", too many on this tiny island, NHS full, roads full, schools, dentists , the list goes on, "Brexit" came 10 years too late, they are all here now and they reproduce quickly encouraged by the good old Brits welfare system. Diesel cars etc are just a diversion from the real problems we will face, also the issue should only apply to heavily overcrowded cities on still air days, which are few and far between. Herbie.
Who are "they"?