Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums > Technical > Suspension, Steering & Brakes

Old 10-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Car: CLS320 CDI 08 (C219)
Default CLS 320 CDI (C219) Pads and Discs Upgrade

The life of my discs, both front and rear, are over. I'm looking at changing over to EBC Ultimax Slotted Performance Brake Discs, with either EBC Redstuff or EBC Yellowstuff pads.

I have a few questions regarding this upgrade, as to be expected.

Will this upgrade make a significant difference in braking performance, and which of the two brake pad sets would be better for road use? I don't plan on going on any track days, so I'd like a balance between performance and durability.

I'm also very confident with the procedure for changing both rear and front pads with discs, so I don't need any guidance in those areas. I am however confused with the EBC brake disc pictures I've seen online (links below).

Rear:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...d-300mm-x-22mm

Front:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...d-312mm-x-28mm

Mercedes OEM discs have 4 holes on the disc for alignment and fitting, whereas EBC discs have 6, 4 of which are in line with the OEM discs but 2 smaller holes offset, opposite one another.

What's the reasoning for this and will I have all the necessary parts to fit the EBC discs hassle free?

Any information or experiences on the EBC discs and pads would be greatly appreciated,

Mike.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Car: CLS55 AMG '05

Those discs had better be significantly better than the originals as you appear to be paying approx 100 more for the rears and approx 60 extra for the fronts!!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 PM

Car: CLS G-E , ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock

Why not go the whole road and fit these , you may even get a bargain as they have been for sale for a while.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-C...item3ce2b9ef61

Kenny
Old 10-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Threadstarter

I've read reviews on the brake discs and pads I'm looking at buying, across a number of cars and CLS320's alike. I'm just curious as to whether or not they would be a worthwhile buy for typical road use. It would be nice knowing I have anchors as brakes if a situation arises where heavy braking is needed.

I've found that the Mercedes OEM brakes fade quite significantly under heavy braking on my car, I really want to move away from that. The EBC brake discs with pads are a noted improvement from my research and some people have even gone on to say that the OEM suspension on the CLS320 isn't quite adequate enough, for the EBC upgrade.

Kenny, just had a look at the Brembo brake calipers/discs set, they look ideal but I haven't got that sort of budget to fork out at once. Plus the brake pads and replacement discs for Brembo = when the time for replacement inevitably comes around. Overall, I feel the EBC system I've chose is ideal for my budget and is a much better compromise than the Brembo brake set listed. Thanks though

Any information on the above questions, in my last post, would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM

Car: CLS Grand Edition 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDMorris View Post
Mercedes OEM discs have 4 holes on the disc for alignment and fitting, whereas EBC discs have 6, 4 of which are in line with the OEM discs but 2 smaller holes offset, opposite one another
Isn't it 5 holes on the OEM and another 1 for the retaining screw. I'm looking at replacing mine and haven't seen any 4 hole ones, want to make sure I'm getting the right ones
Old 10-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Threadstarter

Ah that's my bad, I meant to put 5, one of the torx bits is for retaining and alignment, I was just curious as to why the EBC brake discs had two of those retaining bits, rather than one.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Car: CLS Grand Edition 2009

Could be the wrong photo or just an example of the style of disc
Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Car: CL500 - 2004 model with loads of toys

I have Ultimax discs fitted to the fronts, but am using MB pads so can't comment.
Run the pads and discs in properly and no problems. Stopping power is noticeably better than with the old discs.

CL500 2004
E430 Avantgarde Saloon 1998 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Threadstarter

Thanks for the input on the EBC discs went and ordered the discs with Redstuff pads, Yellowstuff pads eat through discs apparently, so I decided against them. Will let you know how they feel and run once they've been fitted and bedded in properly.

Thanks again for the input and help guys.

Mike.
Old 13-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Car: Saab 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDMorris View Post
Thanks for the input on the EBC discs went and ordered the discs with Redstuff pads, Yellowstuff pads eat through discs apparently, so I decided against them. Will let you know how they feel and run once they've been fitted and bedded in properly.

Thanks again for the input and help guys.

Mike.
Red stuff are the best pads I have ever used and with a lot less dust..
I highly recommend them.