Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 PM

Car: Triumph Spitfire
Default W203 disconect battery.. bad??

Hi ‘ya all again,

My recent research has led me to believe that disconnecting the battery on a w203 might cause a tow to the dealer.

I did a search on this forum, but could not find a definitive reason why disconnecting the battery may be bad.

The purpose of disconnecting the battery would be to perform various engineering measurements and connections. Primarily the safety of the cars electrical system is in concern. We wouldn’t be using a slave battery because of the potential of shorts would still be present.

Anyway if the battery were disconnected without a slave battery, it looks like there is the possibility of recalibrating the seats and other interior devices. Doesn’t seem too bad.

We have a Star Diagnostics on hand if required.

Could someone take a moment and list all the bad things that will happen if the battery is disconnected (without a slave battery).

Currently We don’t have a W203, however one will be procured soon.

Thanks again
Old 04-03-2009, 08:28 PM

Car: 2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Its all here for you young man

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=37364

Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time
Old 04-03-2009, 08:49 PM

It does seem strange to see that disconnecting battery may cause lots of problems. The othe week when i had a suspect flat batt, the indie took out suspect batt fitted new one only to find same symptom. He then refitted original without doing any of what is stated in your link Malcolm. The problem however was the stater motor. But, whilst batt was being removed/re-fitted, i was starting car for the tech and didn't notice any failures light up on Assyst. Was i just lucky?

Keith

Keith

2002, W203 270 cdi Avantgarde, 170,000 Mls, COMMAND, Phone
Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Car: 2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikw2124 View Post
It does seem strange to see that disconnecting battery may cause lots of problems. The othe week when i had a suspect flat batt, the indie took out suspect batt fitted new one only to find same symptom. He then refitted original without doing any of what is stated in your link Malcolm. The problem however was the stater motor. But, whilst batt was being removed/re-fitted, i was starting car for the tech and didn't notice any failures light up on Assyst. Was i just lucky?

Keith

You were just lucky, this is why the article was written out, so many SAMs going down

Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time
Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Threadstarter

Car: Triumph Spitfire

Thanks for the heads up!

I spent the day using the Star tekinfo and Wis system. I got to say the newer Mercedes are complex!

I think I'm all set (for now).

Thanks again!