Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Old 17-02-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenluceblue View Post
First attempt a posting a photo
+1

I'd be very tempted to ask a smart repairer to sort that out it's only stone damage that's gone unnoticed you may be more disappointed with the result of changing the complete panel with colour match and panel fit
88 300TE Family transport for 12 yrs (now gone)
Old 17-02-2017, 07:43 PM

Car: '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe

Quote:
Blimey that's nothing. Quick easy repair.
Old 17-02-2017, 08:53 PM

Car: CLK 230 komp convertible w208

Quote:
Can't believe you would replace the wing/panel because of that?

as someone pointed out to you, by the time you get the fit of the new panel right, and colour match with the rest of the car it would be more cost effective / a better finish to just have a smart repair?

in my opinion, it's your car and money at the end of the day.
Old 17-02-2017, 11:39 PM

Car: S class

I wouldn't go for a smart repair if you are extremely fussy about your car, get it done properly by a good bodyshop.
Old 17-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Car: 205 / 64 / C220 Bluetec Sport

Quote:
It's a 2009 car. A magnet doesn't stick to the wings I'm pretty certain it's aluminium
Have you spoken to a MB Dealership about a warranty repair on your car...after all it's only 8 years old!

I wonder what cars like the 205 and others will look like in a few years as the bonnet, front wings, doors, roof and boot lid are all aluminium.

Isn't ally passivated to protect from corrosion...or is it anodised?

Having said that just look at some older Landie's doors and you'll see the long term effect of salt on ally.

Ernie
54 Plate C200 Kompressor, 6 Passats, Viva,
2 Princesses, 2 Maxis, 1 BLMC 1800,
Daimler Century, A40 Somerset, Wolseley 6/80
Old 18-02-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtractorfan View Post
I wouldn't go for a smart repair if you are extremely fussy about your car, get it done properly by a good bodyshop.
Yep my thoughts entirely but I was wrong the mobile guys round us are so good at paint matching the results are amazing. I put a scrape on my rear bumper on holiday last year and there was a deep rub on the front bumper when I bought the car, had them both dealt with by a recommended smart repairer and the results are perfect.

These guys make a good living nowadays dealing with traders removing dings and scrapes on forecourt cars as well as private owners I was sceptical but you do need a recommendation as with any job
Old 18-02-2017, 12:14 PM

Car: S class

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm210 View Post
Yep my thoughts entirely but I was wrong the mobile guys round us are so good at paint matching the results are amazing. I put a scrape on my rear bumper on holiday last year and there was a deep rub on the front bumper when I bought the car, had them both dealt with by a recommended smart repairer and the results are perfect.

These guys make a good living nowadays dealing with traders removing dings and scrapes on forecourt cars as well as private owners I was sceptical but you do need a recommendation as with any job
Yes I agree with you, there are some very good guys, lots have come from the bodyshop background and went on to set up their own franchises, and they do a very good job.
My problem with their set up is that they service a need for the garage trade, and their materials are thinned down more than in the bodyshop enviroment.
this is ok with paint and undercoats to an extent, but the subsequent finishing lacquers, which acts also as the element barrier and protector is also thinned down and then accelerators are added to enhance and speed the drying process.
This fast drying accelerator makes the lacquer brittle and it eventually cracks and crazes.
Also anyone who is fastidious about their cars will generally do a lot of polishing, which tends to rub away the thinner surface coatings and can give problems later on.

Last edited by Xtractorfan; 18-02-2017 at 12:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xtractorfan For This Useful Post:
malcolm210 (18-02-2017)
Old 18-02-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree with you, there are some very good guys, lots have come from the bodyshop background and went on to set up their own franchises, and they do a very good job.
My problem with their set up is that they service a need for the garage trade, and their materials are thinned down more than in the bodyshop enviroment.
this is ok with paint and undercoats to an extent, but the subsequent finishing lacquers, which acts also as the element barrier and protector is also thinned down and then accelerators are added to enhance and speed the drying process.
This fast drying accelerator makes the lacquer brittle and it eventually cracks and crazes.
Also anyone who is fastidious about their cars will generally do a lot of polishing, which tends to rub away the thinner surface coatings and can give problems later on.
As regards the products used time will tell, mine look well 6 months in and for 75 a repair I don't mind repeating the process in 3-5 years if necessary. What I really like about the service is that there has been no real molestation of the original paintwork
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolm210 For This Useful Post:
Xtractorfan (Yesterday)
Old 18-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Car: C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g

Quote:
Detailers problems starting to arise especially on edges
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithJG For This Useful Post:
Xtractorfan (Yesterday)