Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums > Technical > Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU

Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 PM

Car: R320 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiglxviii View Post
On the LED ILS lamps they are completely symmetrical and can be changed via the dash menu from RHD to LHD.
What's changing then if they're already symmetrical
Old 11-01-2017, 06:16 PM

Car: CLK 220CDi & VFR 800 Fi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
That's just bone idle & besides, not all cars have a 'lowest setting' on the lights .... mine doesn't (Airmatic) and HIDs have auto levelling so they don't have a manual setting either. It takes two minutes to lift the bonnet, stick your hand in the back of the head lamp & move the shutter if you have asymmetric lights

because they're very often symmetrical beams that don't need stickers.
How's it bone idle? I don't have any adjustment other than the thumbwheel on the dash and on the lowest setting they do not blind anyone and more importantly still comply with the law. The only other option is stickers on the headlights which I've used a few times and thought they were crap.

Russ
Old 11-01-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf065 View Post
How's it bone idle? I don't have any adjustment other than the thumbwheel on the dash and on the lowest setting they do not blind anyone and more importantly still comply with the law. The only other option is stickers on the headlights which I've used a few times and thought they were crap.

Russ
it's bone idle because you're just tipping the beam downward for the easiest.
Of course they'll blind people when you're on the wrong side of the road ... they have a lick up to the left .... exactly where Pierre & Helmut are! If you have projector lights, there's very likely going to be lever & shutter inside the headlight. I agree, stickers don't work ... that's why we have shutters to make your asymmetric headlights symmetrical ie a flat beam

And how doe it comply with the law? You're blinding others on the road. You'd be better off leaving the beam symmetrical over here too

Last edited by EmilysDad; 11-01-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:36 PM

Car: '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe

A little word of warning about not doing anything about your lights beam pattern - the finest can be very stiff. Up to 500! They were running an article in the ferry magazine on our last trip warning about it.

http://www.motoring-into-europe.co.uk/faq.html

OP, given you'll be spending some time over there from thd sounds of it why not source a set of LHD lights and swap them over?

Last edited by LostKiwi; 11-01-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
it's bone idle because you're just tipping the beam downward for the easiest.
Of course they'll blind people when you're on the wrong side of the road ... they have a lick up to the left .... exactly where Pierre & Helmut are! If you have projector lights, there's very likely going to be lever & shutter inside the headlight. I agree, stickers don't work ... that's why we have shutters to make your asymmetric headlights symmetrical ie a flat beam

And how doe it comply with the law? You're blinding others on the road. You'd be better off leaving the beam symmetrical over here too
Firstly, I'm not bone idle because I only have two options, turn the headlights to the lowest setting or use stickers. Using stickers results in other cars flashing me because they are blinded and turning the lights to the lowest setting means no one flashes me at all. How is that bone idle?

I don't have shutters or fancy lights and as long as I don't blind oncoming traffic then I'm complying with the law, which merely states it is an offence to blind oncoming traffic. It does not mention how you have to do this and does not state that stickers have to be used or anything else.

Russ
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostKiwi View Post
They were running an article in the ferry magazine on our last trip warning about it.
That would be the same ferry companies that tell you to buy breathalyzer kits as you need them when the law was never passed in France, very convenient as their shop must have thousands of them left to sell. The same magazines that tell you to buy stickers for your lights and claim you need them too. Not sure I would pay much heed to their articles.

Russ
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 PM

Car: '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe

Quote:
That would be the same ferry companies that tell you to buy breathalyzer kits as you need them when the law was never passed in France, very convenient as their shop must have thousands of them left to sell. The same magazines that tell you to buy stickers for your lights and claim you need them too. Not sure I would pay much heed to their articles.

Russ
Google search reveals similar information from several other sources (that don't sell stickers).
Old 12-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Car: W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition

Quote:
What's changing then if they're already symmetrical
The road they project onto is not symmettrical, there is a bias that needs to change. Otherwise we'd all drive down the middle of the road both ways
Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 AM

Car: W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition

Quote:

Russ
The law was passed and enforced for about 18 months. What was then changed was the ability of the police to issue on-the-spot fines for those people not carrying breathalysers..........
Old 12-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I don't have shutters or ....
I'd be very surprised if you didn't. My 07 with projector headlamps does

Last edited by EmilysDad; 12-01-2017 at 08:49 AM.