Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Car: M class
Default ML270 driving in snow

Hi guys, apparently we will all be getting some snow in the next few weeks. The missus drives the ML more than I do. She is quite a nervous driver at best of time. Is there any special consideration needed reference the traction control on the MLs? Am I right in thinking that braking can be worse because of the effect of the ABS and gliding over icy surfaces? Any tips appreciated.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:54 AM

Car: Vito115 ExLWB (07)

Mud and snow rated tyres, of no more than a few years old (6 years considered to be max) with adequate tread (4mm legal limit for Germany) make a big difference even on a 4x4.
All driving smooth. erratic actions cause loss of traction.
Switch off traction control if having difficulty setting off but restore when moving above a few mph.
ABS can only help.
Not sure if the 270 has low drive with locking diffs, but when extreme can be useful. But will scuff tyres if used on bends at more than a few mph.
If problems in snow letting air out of the tyres can help.

Often it's the people that are nervous that get their car stuck. Misplaced over confidence of course can be dangerous. Skid / drift practice in a safe area is excellent experience, I could never get Larisa to try it though.
Jeep Grand Cherokee 03.

Last edited by M80; 11-01-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:54 AM

Car: W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition

As with anything very torquey, SLOW and STEADY wins the day. Change up early using tiptronic to keep revs low. Drive in W mode if you have it. Remember stopping distances are TEN TIMES those of dry conditions.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:09 AM

Car: R320 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2k7 View Post
.... Am I right in thinking that braking can be worse because of the effect of the ABS and gliding over icy surfaces? Any tips appreciated.
Nearly ..... they say that you can stop sooner in soft snow without ABS than you can with, because the snow builds up in front of the locked up wheel.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 AM

Car: W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

On a steep icy/snow downhill slope use the gears to set a lower gear to provide a drag on the car that avoids braking ....probably 2nd gear but if very steep or icy maybe even 1st gear .
Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Threadstarter

Car: M class

Thanks guys, can't remember if I read the handbook right, I will read again but I seem to recall it mentioning turning the ESP off completely in the snow. Anyone recommend this or disagree?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 AM

Car: '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe

When slowing down in snow or ice conditions with a 4x4 let the transmission do the braking as much as possible.

In an automatic it can be beneficial to knock it into neutral as you get close to a full stop as the transmission will attempt to push forward and can overpower the front wheels pushing the vehicle into intersections (more an issue in RWD cars).

If conditions are very bad don't use 'D' - force the gearbox into a lower gear and use it to slow down. If you have a manually operated diff lock use it but remember to turn it off if you can see black tarmac with no snow or ice covering.

Its better to go slowly under control than too fast and skid off the road. Everything needs to be done a smoothly as possible. Treat every control as though it was connected to you through an egg.

Beware of stopping on a steep hill and exiting the vehicle. I have seen a 'parked' vehicle lose grip and slide down the hill with no one at the controls as the driver has got out to check something.

If you have a transmission brake ensure the diff locks are engaged before getting out. Remember to disengage them when not needed. A transmission brake only works if both wheels on the rear axle have good grip. If one can slip it will allow the vehicle to roll down the hill as the slipping wheel spins in the opposite direction on the ice through differential action.

Think about the route you use. If you go into a valley are you sure you can get back up the other side?
The Following User Says Thank You to LostKiwi For This Useful Post:
Wighty (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:50 AM

Car: W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2k7 View Post
Thanks guys, can't remember if I read the handbook right, I will read again but I seem to recall it mentioning turning the ESP off completely in the snow. Anyone recommend this or disagree?
You only turn it off briefly if you are struggling to gain grip on starting or on slow up hills in snow/ice . If you don't turn it off the wheels keep sensing that they are slipping and keep cutting the drive off to each wheel that slips ....letting you go nowhere
Old 11-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Car: Ml320CDI 2007

It's the increase in stopping didtsances that catch most people out.

Basically, just keep a More-than-generous gap between you and the car in front. Then Double it!

Insurance rules still apply in icy conditions.....if you hit another car because you slid into it, the insurance company will still say it's your fault.

There was no snow in my area last winter, so I don't know yet how the ML performs. But before that, I had a 4WD Audi Allroad. It used to be able to accelreate pretty much as fast on snow as on a dry road.....problem was, you couldn't stop it!

Last edited by PaulG; 11-01-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:29 AM

Car: 2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio

I remember years ago I had a Suzuki Vitara, my first 4 wheel drive.
Upon the first snow fall it was brilliant, I couldn't believe how I was travelling every where with complete ease. How ever the road approaching home is downhill and we merrily slid straight past the drive. Luckily there was an open farm track at the bottom and we went off roading. That was fun!!!