Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums > Technical > Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust

Old 29-09-2009, 08:09 PM

Default C230 sport Kompressor gear change problem

Hi guys
Me again. Finally sorted my non starting ( brain ) and poor pick up ( MAF sensor) now all I have to do is sort the gear change issue.
Manual gear change is perfect most of the time but every now and again it will jam in gear normally after selecting reverse and disengaging while under load like if I reverse up hill to park it will jam in gear.
I have released it twice by loosing off the gear lever mechanism under the centre console and "wiggling it" but the last time it took ages and I had to get a tow in reverse to release it.
The clutch is fine as the car will start with it depressed but releasing it the car stalls.
I love this car but its driving me mad.
Also the gear knob is starting to decompose now its all sticky. Does anyone have a spare I can buy.
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Old 29-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Authorised Forum Supporter

Car: W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree

there is a known fault on this gearbox with an easily replaced part. it bolts in the side and is designed to prevent the selection of more than one gear. the one on your car has a plastic body and the replacement is aluminium - says it all really. part number 26 in the picture...

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp...SGR=590&SGN=05
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Crow For This Useful Post:
monumen (08-10-2009)
Old 30-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Threadstarter

Alexander,
Thank you so much. I will do that this weekend.
Can it be that simple ?????.
Watch this space.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Threadstarter

Hi
Went to MB Newcastle and ordered the part which will take a week to get as there are none in the UK.
I also enquired about the gear knob and when they said it would be 140. Ha ha NOT. So looking for one on the net.
Just one question.
The part i've ordered, is it easy to change on axle stands from underneath and where is it.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Car: W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree

it is just a bolt on to the box - 2x 6x1.00mm bolts, there is a also paper gasket btw. if i remember correctly there is just enough room to slide it in/out, only just. when you get the plastic one out have a really close look at it for cracks etc. hard to fathom why they went to a plastic one, you will note the new one comes with a 123 part number from way way back!! not like MB to revert to older part designs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Crow For This Useful Post:
monumen (08-10-2009)
Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Threadstarter

What can I say boys.
Got the car up on a ramp. Managed to get the lower bolt out easily but had to weld a nut on the back of a 10mm socket and squeeze a ratchet spanner over it to get the top one off.
A quick tap and the cage fell out but lo and behold minus the balls.
I had a quick feel in the hole but the balls have dropped into the box. Will this be a problem ????.
I have owned dozens of cars and been on loads of forums but must say this one is the business.
Let us see just how good ha ha.
I now have an intermittent starting problem which I am putting down to the immobiliser. Is there any way to disable this to prove if it is this.
Thank you in advance.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM

what kind of key do you have, what age car is it? also, describe in detail the starting problem, ie hot/cold, starts eventually or you have to try later, runs rough after starting, fails to turn over etc etc.

as for the missing balls, take out the drain plug and hope!! you do not want them lingering in the box.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Threadstarter

I have the oblong key with one button and the blade folds into it.
I try to start it and its not interested. Come back later and it may start. When it does eventually start its perfect.
As soon as I try to start I can tell it wont fire as it normally starts first hit.
I have tried reprogramming the key, battery off hundred clicks battery back on key to pos 2 click twice turn off, press button turn to pos 2 wait for bleep then start.
NOWT !!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM

do you have the red/green leds in the rear view mirror? if so what do they do? do you have any silver stickers in the side windows?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Threadstarter

Hi,
Forgot to add in last post. It is a 1997 model. I have red and green lights in the mirror and they flash as I try to start. No difference to these when it starts or doesn't.
Lock doors and red light flashes, open doors and green light flashes.
No silver stickers on windows.