Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums  

Old 26-10-2011, 12:33 PM

Car: From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
Default CLK 350 Cabriolet AMG sport gone!!

Sold Mercedes 350 Cabriolet AMG Sport.
Mercedes dealership werenít interested in doing any kind of deal, they offered me £14750 for my 25,000mile FMBSH mint 350 CLK Cabriolet, nor did they romance me into keeping it. So Iíve sold it for £22,000 and Iím now going to buy a Porsche Boxster 3.4 S.

The Porsche dealership conversely are interested in my business, and even lent me a car for a weekend with a full tank of petrol. They simply asked me to signed on their insurance, handed me the keys and said go - enjoy!!! Which I did.
In short a Fab car handled as you would expect, on rails (being mid engine). Havenít had so much fun in years....and with 310Bhp on tap its nearly as quick as the 911 Carrera

The disappointing thing re Mercedes dealership, was I was their easiest customer, been using them for 10 years and bought three cars off them in that time, not to mention all the associated service work they have had out of me. They just didnít bother, either in test drives or inform me of any deals that couldíve been had, or low mileage part exchanges that have come in. They were only prepared to give me a quick 10 minute spin in the new E-class cabriolet along the Dual carriage way, as per new SLK.
I asked for an extended road test and I was told we canít put the miles on the car. Well Iím not prepared to buy a car based on a 10 minute road test so its game over tilt as far as I am concerned.
When asked to demonstrate the new SLK to my better half, the response was it works just like MR Morrisís slk32s, they couldnít be bothered to even press a switch.

Iíll keep my SLK32amg, but it will be a snowflakes chance in hell Iíll go back and buy another car off them again, and I'd question if I'd buy another new MB period sad to say.
Old 26-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Car: S500/2002/V8

Shame as most MB dealers are seen in this light. Uncle in California has a C320 from new and says that the dealerships are made to bend over backwards for their customers, can't be too long before it gets to a point where MB realise the errors of their ways and adopt a similar approach. But how many customers do they have to lose to realise?
The Following User Says Thank You to SSR S500 For This Useful Post:
Matt32AMG (26-10-2011)
Old 26-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Car: SLK 2001 3.2

Feel,for you, although I agree with your decision. MB often don't seem to be with it when it comes to customer loyalty.

I have enjoyed a Boxster for many years - the most beautiful deep maroon paint job. No spare wheel or space-saver, dreadful satnav, awful access to just about everything, with parts prices that make MB look cheap - but thoroughly enjoyable to drive. Enjoy yours.

Baz
The Following User Says Thank You to umblecumbuz For This Useful Post:
Matt32AMG (26-10-2011)
Old 26-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Car: CL216 with everything, CL420 140 with everything, V70R with everything

The daft thing is that the dealers keep demonstrators, but the salesman use them going backwards and forwards to the job.

Pleased that you will be staying with us

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Old 26-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Threadstarter

Car: From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by television View Post
The daft thing is that the dealers keep demonstrators, but the salesman use them going backwards and forwards to the job.

Pleased that you will be staying with us
Daft isn't it Their loss.

Yes I'll still be around, as the 32 is going nowhere.

The sad thing is I liked the CLK, but having spent nigh on 40K on buying the car and then to be offered what can best be described as an insult, I had no option other than sell while I could still realise some money in the car. In short I am appalled with the way as a long standing customer, I've been treated, well no more.
The sales staff just want to do nothing to earn their crust, other than take your money.
television (26-10-2011)
Old 26-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Car: Mainly Mercedes

This is sad to read. Earlier this year my wife and I each had an extended road test in a c63 estate, with a view to replacing our much loved c32. I had at least thirty miles of accompanied road test, my wife slightly less. After being left alone for half an hour with coffee to discuss, the salesman reappeared, to say "you don't love it, do you?". Unfortunately we had to agree with him. Sadly we were both unmoved, but we parted on good terms, and in fact a month later I received a phone call from the same salesman inviting me to a track day at Goodwood that they had arranged.
They are not all bad!
Old 27-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
This is sad to read. Earlier this year my wife and I each had an extended road test in a c63 estate, with a view to replacing our much loved c32. I had at least thirty miles of accompanied road test, my wife slightly less. After being left alone for half an hour with coffee to discuss, the salesman reappeared, to say "you don't love it, do you?". Unfortunately we had to agree with him. Sadly we were both unmoved, but we parted on good terms, and in fact a month later I received a phone call from the same salesman inviting me to a track day at Goodwood that they had arranged.
They are not all bad!
It gets worse in as much that the S.O.B. sales team treated us like low life & third class citizens. We enquired about the finance deal we would be offered using the CLK as a part exchange against an E-class Cabriolet (using the sharp pencil I said optimistically). I was told itíd only be a gesture! This on my car with a FMBSH as maintained by them! So they know all about the cars history. In short they tried to steal it. Not impressed

When we called in again personally to see what was what, he swore blind he had sent us the figures (which we hadnít received), to which he replied oh yes I have sent them! To which I replied that being the case, why do you think I am sat at your desk asking what the deal is? He then went off and disappeared somewhere only to return with the very paperwork he said heíd sent us. Did we get an apology? Nope. Did we get any indication of contrition Nope. Did he treat us like third class citizens? Oh yes you bet he did.

Did I get the same level of antipathy at the Porsche Dealership? No the exact opposite! They admired both of my cars, (We turned up twice in as many days), and the question was raised why weíre changing being clearly you like your Mercedes? I said no, the 32 is a keeper but the CLK is going, and went on to explain why. They were horrified moreso being we were such long standing clients of MB, but also went on to say in their experience, more and more people are migrating from the Marque. He also commented how well they were kept. (ok maybe some flattery but hey Iíd say a fair appraisal of what he saw).

In summary nothing was too much trouble at the Porsche dealership, they were helpful, polite and welcoming, and best of all there was no Hard sell, they let their products sell themselves is the impression I got, and to my mind exactly the right approach. Ok we wore the right badges one may argue, and turned up in the right mode of transport, indicating clearly we were obviously not tyre kickers. Shame Mercedes dealership didnít read the same signals, given I have two of their cars

As I often say, ď it takes twenty years to build a reputation and 5 minutes to ruin it, think about that youíll do things differently.Ē MB have had more than their five minutes worth of my time in my book, clearly they put little value on my custom or future custom. Well screw them.
Old 27-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Car: 2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt32AMG View Post

The disappointing thing re Mercedes dealership, was I was their easiest customer, been using them for 10 years and bought three cars off them in that time, not to mention all the associated service work they have had out of me.
I've told this story before, but I was sitting in my dealership last year while MOT was being done and an older guy brought his CLK in for 3yr service and first MOT. He asked the service advisor for the lastest brochure so she walked him over to the brochure stand where the sales manger was standing, leaned in front of her, took a brochure and handed it to him. He popped it into his bag and sat down in the waiting area.

The astonishing thing is the sales manager seemed not to notice any of this. A lot of older people like to change their cars every 3 years so what could have been a more perfect opportunity to engage with the guy and get him into a new car? Just staggering.

I noticed on my last trip that she wasn't there (she's been there for some years). Bit of Googling - she's now at the new Porsche dealership in the area!!
Old 27-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Car: CLS55 AMG '05

Perhaps the Sales manager was disappointed in the way her MB service colleagues did not interact with her (department)?

I think if I were the service adviser I would have introduced the gentleman to the sales manager as a pro-active opener to the conversation..
Old 28-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umblecumbuz View Post
Feel,for you, although I agree with your decision. MB often don't seem to be with it when it comes to customer loyalty.

I have enjoyed a Boxster for many years - the most beautiful deep maroon paint job. No spare wheel or space-saver, dreadful satnav, awful access to just about everything, with parts prices that make MB look cheap - but thoroughly enjoyable to drive. Enjoy yours.

Baz
Thanks Baz I know I will, I used to drive Porsche about 20 years a go now, I'd forgotten how good they are.....

Sorry about the Rugby BTW your chaps were unlucky in my view to be treated that harshly.
umblecumbuz (28-10-2011)