Tougher punishments for inconsiderate driving

NP46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY16 GOLF R DSG: C220 Gone.
Great news :D

Saying that though, can't remember the last time I spotted a patrol car so how's anyone going to get caught :confused:
The illegal use of phones has been around for a while now and I still see several users a day, both private car drivers and commercial, obviously not deterred by fines and points.

Nik

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Phone use whilst driving should lead to a 3 month ban.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Great news :D

Saying that though, can't remember the last time I spotted a patrol car so how's anyone going to get caught :confused:
Exactly.

The illegal use of phones has been around for a while now and I still see several users a day, both private car drivers and commercial, obviously not deterred by fines and points.

Nik
I see loads too, recently it seems to be 'white van man'

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think the "middle lane hoggers" and "tailgaiters" could be dealt with by camera.
That is an automatic revenue stream.
Still I don't have a problem clamping down on whats essentially inconsiderate driving with all its inherent dangers.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You're right - I stand corrected.

I was thinking of the phone to the ear brigade, and the texters.
Is it still ok to update your facebook status and tweet?

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Phone use whilst driving should lead to a 3 month ban.

Why? In an automatic car (or a manual one on a motorway/a road) there is absolutely no need for the left hand at all (mine just sits on the armrest for hours), so if you're allowed hands free/to talk to a passenger why can't you talk on the phone.

You'll probably find that's why lots ignore the rule, because it's stupid and blanket. Sure, using it while trying to park/in somewhere requiring tight manouvering should be banned but not always.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Pointless, as said it can't or won't be policed.
I would prefer those that demonstrate that they don't drive to the rules to be caused to go through the test again, they would understand them then.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Why? In an automatic car (or a manual one on a motorway/a road) there is absolutely no need for the left hand at all (mine just sits on the armrest for hours), so if you're allowed hands free/to talk to a passenger why can't you talk on the phone.

And texting?

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabriolet 2004, R 230 SL 500 2005, new A class AMG Sport.
Isnt using a hand held phone more about the distraction factor ? Yes I know hands free could be viewed as just as distracting but then so could smoking.
We should all take as an example drivers of police cars talking into their lapel mounted radios ...... such a good example of one rule for us ........
Overall this must just be a revenue generator as tailgating is an offence anyway and heaven knows how poor lane discipline would be policed but like tailgating must also be "driving without due care".
Texting while driving needs no comment.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition

You'll probably find that's why lots ignore the rule, because it's stupid and blanket. Sure, using it while trying to park/in somewhere requiring tight manouvering should be banned but not always.

Doesn't the left hand help the right hand to hold the steering wheel, operate indicators/wipers etc.?

Mine does.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Many years ago as a young apprentice working in Belfast, on my very infrequent trips home I used to get a lift with a guy who had prosthetic hand..left hand..he would place it on the steeering wheel with his right hand, and then change gear with his right hand, and even operate the centre mounted handbrake with his right hand...

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 S320CDi Auto with Toys...
Driving down the M20 today I was surprised how many people WERE pulling back into the nearside lane after overtaking, guess they had heard the news and didn't know it comes into force in July, iirc the French had a purge on lane hogging a while back with big fines & points, now over there it is a pleasure to drive, they overtake (granted they just pull out) then pull back in.

As far as the Police over here it is still perfectly Legal for anyone to hold and use a two way radio, it doesn't come under the phone law, you will get stopped but just INSIST they they put it was a two way radio on the ticket, it will be rejected automatically.

Last edited:
OP
properwounded

properwounded

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
unfortunatly none now
I think cars capable of 70mph that are doing 60 or 50 in the left lane should be fined for taking the pssss and get the ffffffff out of my way :)

Biggles299

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 CLS SB, 2008 CLS, 1999 C Class Estate, MINI MOKE
I drive a Mercedes - these new rules do not apply to me, or anybody else driving a premium German made car for that matter.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
While i like most agree in principle, it does seem a 'law' there only for when needed.
(what happened to highways 'rules' or 'codes'? Now its become a law.
I dont get it??

The problem with middle lane hoggers, with out getting in to arguments or debates, is rather blinkered.
I totally agree people should keep left. But so so often getting trapped or boxed in by a slow moving traffic stream or finding yourself suddenly in a lane thats about to turn off, can be equally dangerous. As it means you if unfamiliar with the road will need to hop in to the middle lane amongst faster moving traffic, when you can, and also means others will no doubt be doing the same.
There are times when planning ahead and 'apparently' sitting in an empty middle lane is safer than following the letter of the 'law'.

But I doubt if revenue collectors will ever see it that way.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom