Diesel leak

Neil_McLennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270cdi 02
I have just bought a 02 ML 270cdi.
It's really comfy, but appears to have a fuel leak.
It gets through a fair amount of fuel, and when I park up there seems to be a few oil spots wherever I stop, getting embarrassing!
LOL
The oil level doesn't seem to be dropping.
The injectors have recently been done and seats re cut apparently.
Having taken the cover off so could see the injectors, the second and fourth seem a little damp, so I suspect that may be the course of the leak.
The metal pipe that goes through the nut and into the other nut seems to be where the diesel is congregating, if that makes sense.
Any tips would be great!
Thanks!
:-?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
OP
N

Neil_McLennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270cdi 02
Possible fault in the pipe

Righty ho, think may have a leak in the fuel pipe from the filter, clips on boh ends are damaged so going o try and get replacements, though I suspect may end up being the hole hose!
Once replaced, how do I get the fuel flowing again back in the day you could prime a fuel system!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 20

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Its a crank over job, there is a pressure test point on the 270, your find a white/black plug of the fuel line bolted to the rail, you can pull the fuel up to this point with the right gear.......

OP
N

Neil_McLennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270cdi 02
Its a crank over job, there is a pressure test point on the 270, your find a white/black plug of the fuel line bolted to the rail, you can pull the fuel up to this point with the right gear.......
Thanks Cole, hope you don't mind have emailed you some pics and a question, before you replied on here as you have been a mind of useful stuff to others.
I am new to Mercs, think I have found the black and white do hickey on the rail, what's the right gear?
There is what looks like a plunger thing that doesn't plunge fitted to a white thing which goes into a black housing with a fuel line coming off of it. I presume that's what you mean.

OP
N

Neil_McLennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270cdi 02
Result!!!!!!
Having gone through a range of possibilities, ideas and tweaks and changes......
Changed the fuel line from the fuel filter to the front of he common rail, changed loads of o rings all over he fuel system!!
Changed high pressure pipes into alternate locations to see if the leak moved.
Finally, sitting watching for leaks with her running at hi rev, I noticed a glint between the sender unit and the common rail. So out it comes, for a clean up.
Popping it back in, it's gone a quarter turn more.
So for all that fanning about, all I needed was to tighten the darn sender unit into the rail properly, which wasnt done both. Garage that did the work for the previous owner.:Oops:

Have left the engine cover off for the time being to make sure larry the leak has made like a tree and decided to leave, then it all goes back together and I can really enjoy my ml, and get more than 23 mpg, and no stains everywhere I go!
Lol
:lol:

OP
N

Neil_McLennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270cdi 02
Just got to give it a few days and should see no more leak, may take a few days for all that's hanging around to drop down!
Certainly nothing round the areas that were dripping. Hopefully!

Top Bottom