Steering Wheel Buttons or Paddles ...

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Just been out for a burble in the CLS and not for the first time, managed to catch the downshift button behind the steering wheel whilst negotiating a roundabout. Now the exit from the roundabout was, erm, spirited and the sound was majestic but I'd rather it happened when I wanted it to, not by accident! :Oops:

Anyone else occasionally catch the steering wheel shifter buttons? Would this not be so easy if they were the paddle type?

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just been out for a burble in the CLS and not for the first time, managed to catch the downshift button behind the steering wheel whilst negotiating a roundabout. Now the exit from the roundabout was, erm, spirited and the sound was majestic but I'd rather it happened when I wanted it to, not by accident! :Oops:

Anyone else occasionally catch the steering wheel shifter buttons? Would this not be so easy if they were the paddle type?

Don't have them on mine, sadly.

Makes for one heck of an excuse though... M'lud! :lol:

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Not me, I do not have them

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I have paddles - though I don't use them much - catching them by mistake isn't a problem.

Is there a mod you could do Peter - a later wheel perhaps?

Some nice alu paddles ones around.

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

Smacsor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 C250 CDI AMG Sport Plus; 2011 C220 CDI Blueefficiency 125 Edition - SOLD; R230 SL500 - SOLD
I've never inadvertently operated the paddles and I know I'm in a minority but I find them a pointless novelty unless its a Ferrari!

.....I'm not completely sure I'd notice much difference on a roundabout if I inadvertently downshifted with my 2.0 ltr diesel! :shock:

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Are you saying the paddles are less prone to being 'nudged'? 'Cos the buttons are only just proud of the rim surface I do find my fingers brush over them easily. Perhaps with the paddles being stood away it would be ok..

Here you go:

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Thanks John. If you were to shave off the paddle you'd be left with, what on my wheel is, the button. Too easy for fingers to press whilst spinning the wheel!

N

npuk

The paddles attach to the steering column, is that where the button is?

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Both paddles and buttons attach to the exact same point on the rear of the steering wheel boss. It's just that the paddles are lifted away from the steering wheel rim and so (I assume) fingers would pass underneath them.

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Thanks David, I had seen that some time back. TBH my wheel is rather tired looking, so I think I may use this "problem" as an excuse to buy a new wheel with paddles ;)

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
This looks good, reasonable price, better than the wood/leather version anyway!
$(KGrHqV,!p0E8WVtCs3ZBPRVL+PR1w~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfb24732a

aquanaut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 C63s AMG
yes, did that a few times on my C55 buttons. Never, so far, with the paddles on the C63

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
just ordered one of these from Germany... :cool:

£299 on an exchange basis, not cheap, but I want a quality product.

2 weeks & counting !!! I must have fallen in love with my E class again ( I blame my Audi, as i just changed the wheel on it & refuse to drive the "E" until it's wheel is swapped out !! )

Much thicker & a nice gentle flat bottom touch to it.

001.JPG

HTH :)

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
This looks good, reasonable price, better than the wood/leather version anyway!
$(KGrHqV,!p0E8WVtCs3ZBPRVL+PR1w~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfb24732a

I've just bought one of them, wanted the all leather one but none appeared for a few months so bit the bullet. Wheel itself is lovely, the improvement over the old 55 one is massive, much thicker in all the right places which is what I hated about the original one, it really is like driving a different car. The alcantara does feel special too and matches the seats and gear knob obviously.

Now to the paddles. First off be wary of the Polish guy, he is not Swedish and not in Sweden, he sends out wheels with knowingly knackered paddles and I'm currently waiting for replacements. Compared to the buttons they project out from where the buttons are and towards the rim so could potentially get in the way depending on how you hold the wheel. To press they are very firm compared to the buttons so not sure you could just nudge them but equally I don't know how you manage to accidently press a button :)

Hope that helps.

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
saw that seller, he is a liability ! and a knob.

Asked for a different colour, guess what, sold out, didn't ever have BLACK for sale, but sold out anyway...

LOL...

:D

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
Received my replacement paddles and fitted them this afternoon. Obviously they don't do anything different to the buttons which I never touched after the first day but I went for a quick spin and found my self naturally using them, perhaps because they feel more mechanical and therefore subconsciously atttached to the gearbox.

Silly I know, but I've read of others who didn't use the buttons but make regular use of paddles after changing them.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom