W202 rear door panel removal

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Hi, my W202 facelift rear electric window stopped working and the glass seems to be detached from the mechanism as I can move it up and down by hand pressing on the glass now.
So I am trying to remove the door panel but can't get the door pull cover off. Should I start at the bottom or the top? I have been levering about with screwdrivers and its starting to show signs of damage from my efforts but the darn thing won't come off. Any tips?

Also the mechanism will move down but not up; is it knackered?

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
The door panels usually slide upwards.

If all of the door furniture has been removed try pulling using the door handle/rest.

This is for a S124 of 1996 vintage but hopefully should be the same.

OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Thanks but it was the handle cover I was having trouble with. After messing around for the best part of an hour I found you have to lever it off from the very top horizontal edge. Unfortunately the bottom plastic clip still broke so now it is only held on at the top; cheap, tacky design!
The electric window cable had rusted and snapped. As the mechanism is rivited in (cheap, tacky design), I have wedged the window up with wood.

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
door pull

Hi, my W202 facelift rear electric window stopped working and the glass seems to be detached from the mechanism as I can move it up and down by hand pressing on the glass now.
So I am trying to remove the door panel but can't get the door pull cover off. Should I start at the bottom or the top? I have been levering about with screwdrivers and its starting to show signs of damage from my efforts but the darn thing won't come off. Any tips?

Also the mechanism will move down but not up; is it knackered?

yeah the door pulls ,its as if mercedes made them a throw away item either that or they knew the cars would rust away before anyone would need the panel off

last time I suggested using a well known search engine to pull up all the answers out there already the post got deleted, so Ill post longhand

using a largish flat blade screwdriver and a bit of stiff plastic to lever against to avoid panel damage prise the top of the pull away from the door then you can coax it off at the bottom , once off youll see the two lugs that held it on have vertical faces (if theyre still intact) when you put the pull back give these faces a slight chamfer to make it easier next time,
the way I put glass back in the runners is to spray the runner rubber with WD40 etc then whilst guiding the runner use the motor to wind the window up to the top and if that doesnt reseat it just give it a lever up from underneath
as to why the motor will only go one way I dont know, do the others work ok, if so swap a switch to start also with the glass doing what it did is it stiff in the frame cos if so youll have to sort that otherwise itll pull off again especially with the rubber lubed

OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
I'm just leaving it wedged with wood thanks. I can't deal with rivets.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom