M6 Toll Road- unmarked car?

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Hi all,
Just popped down to Birmingham for a meeting and made use of the M6 Toll's nice clear lanes. I was tailed/tailgated by a Crysler 300 estate which seemed to have some strange electronic kit in it, couldn't see for sure as the windows (including driver windows) were so heavily tinted I couldn't see in. I was going under the magic number! But perhaps strayed above a little trying to shake him off his lodged place on my bumper.
Couple of questions:
1 Any local knowledge as to whether the police do use this vehicle on the toll road?
2 Would they have had to pull me over if it was a police car?

Unbelievably I still have a clean license and quite keen to stay that way. I thought the Police had decided unmarked 5 series were the future a while ago?

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
its unlikely to be police as they would be driving an illegal car if the front windows were tinted.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Pretty well very time I use the toll road (couple of times per month) I see an unmarked Volvo S60 on the hard shoulder having stopped someone. There's at least two of them, one dark blue and the other dark grey.

I'd be pretty certain that the car the OP saw wasn't a police car.

Aitch55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
Beware as you approach the north bound services (and possibly south). I've seen the situation where the speed trap is up on an approach bridge and a number of traffic cars, sat in the on-slip, picking off the unfortunates. Also seen a 4x4 unmarked police car but can't remember what.

Try to ensure you're not the fastest and beware the services bridges :)

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Unmarked cars tend to be odd colours too not silver or white. Beige bmws, blue volvos can pounce.

Brum isn't the most salubrious of places. I often thought delimiting the M6 toll would give it a much needed attraction other than cadburys world

BAD Arrows

Reaction score
Website
www.performance-blue.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (W211) + SL 350 3.7 (R230)
I'm part of a car club who do a charity run down the toll road once a year to raise funds for the midlands air ambulance, each year the fuzz meet up with us at the services and let us look around the patrol cars marked and unmarked and I can safely say they definitely don't use Chrysler 300C's. Mainly Volvo's, 5 series, X5's, Discos, Audi A6's. In fairness they are always a good laugh and a lot of them are car enthusiasts, last year we had a Ferrari Enzo with us and the boys in blue were joking telling him to go as fast as he likes as they'd never catch him :shock::lol::lol::lol::D:D:D

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
You tend to get the urban grape vine relating what the bronze are driving, on any particular motorway stretch.

I've not heard of a Chrysler 300, though that's not definitive of course.

He probably wanted a gander at your lovely W218, as there aren't many around.

Last edited:

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Bad Arrow ties in with my knowledge - I have seen Volvos and Audi A6s with lights going.

Dave

BAD Arrows

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
You tend to get the urban grape vine relating what the bronze are driving, on any particular motorway stretch.

Sorry to hijack a thread but I've just seen the picture of your W211 E John......that car looks absolutely stunning.......have you any more pictures of it if it's not to cheeky to ask?

I've been contemplating a W211 as my personal smoker for a while but I'd want it to look like yours.

Regards,

Colin

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Hello Colin,

Have a look at the albums in my profile, particularly those of the 19" CLS wheels, which give it the purposeful stance.

Thanks for the compliment.

Sorry Neil H.

OP
Neil H

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164

That used to be the case! Since I bought mine there have been 4 more bought in my village...

OP
Neil H

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all, I shall breathe more easily. I always have the good grace to overtake and bugger off if I'm behind someone!!

BAD Arrows

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Hello Colin,

Have a look at the albums in my profile, particularly those of the 19" CLS wheels, which give it the purposeful stance.

Thanks for the compliment.

Sorry Neil H.

I've just had a look, stunning car. I was contemplating getting a 2003/2004 E55 AMG on the grounds that it looks so much meaner than a standard 211 but if I can get a diesel to look as good as yours it'll sway me.

I agree to wheels finish it perfectly, I've just bought CL63 style 5 arms for my CLS but I'm maybe regretting not buying the same as yours......hmmm.

What do you think of the Brabus tuning box?

simon1argyle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing yet. hopefully not long
In Cornwall, there are 5 series, S60/V70, Octavia Vrs, 3 Series, Range Rover, Discovery 4, Freelander, and............. an 03 plate Mitsubishi Charisma

christopherwk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E220d SE
P I see an unmarked Volvo S60 on the hard shoulder having stopped someone. There's at least two of them, one dark blue and the other dark grey.

I was on the M6 Toll Road yesterday, saw the dark grey one sat on the hard shoulder with just its' flashing rear reds on.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
i think i would be tempted to call the police and inform them of this car if it was deliberately doing what you think it was...

cant be too careful....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom