SBC! - reset

JamesSD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320/2004/Estate
Hello all, My S211 320 2004 now has the dash warning "SERVICE BRAKES - VISIT WORKSHOP". Like so many others it seems.

The car has been diagnosed by my local main dealer and it apparently needs the SBC unit replaced. I have since read about an awful lot of people having the same issue. The dealer has been good about it, but essentially the decision on whether or not to replace it FOC is MB uk's, and they certainly won't play ball. No good will contribution at all unfortunately. The reason being, the car has not been serviced by a main dealer since 2007, even though MB UK admitted main dealer servicing would make no difference to longevity of the unit, grrr!

Anyway, i want to get the unit counter reset rather than shell out and replace the unit, so my question is, who will reset it in the Midlands area? Any recommendations from people personally getting it done would be great. Thank you!

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
You need to be aware that there is no guarantee of success with a reset procedure. Only in specific circumstances can it be successfully achieved, as I understand it.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I have to admit that's the LAST thing I would do . For the sake of a some money you are risking your life and the life of others.

You won't know its not been worth it until you end up dead ....

Foolhardy in my view and inconsiderate....

Whilst this is a major bug bear of anyone with SBC brakes I really think brakes are not things to be ignored.. No half measures...

==========================

OP
J

JamesSD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320/2004/Estate
hi thanks for the responses, and i am aware of the consequences of the reset, (but not the success rate of resets - perhaps if there is someone who does them i can talk to them and work out my chances of success.)

I am not going to replace an item that is 100% functional just because it has reached a conservative limit set by MB.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it was 100% functional you wouldn't get a warning.... But if you know better than MB then fair enough... You are taking a risk with people's lives ...

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
If it was 100% functional you wouldn't get a warning.... But if you know better than MB then fair enough... You are taking a risk with people's lives ...

Not as I understand it.
The warning is triggered by an activation counter. These are based on a rough estimate of lifespan but as we all know, mechanocal things can often last much longer without harm. Full failures are extremely rare. More likely as it wears it will run longer and longer and eventually fire up the warning again. but that may not be for several more years. I'd be amazed if it catastrophically failed altogether.
Always best to replace with new but if funds don't allow, I'd chance a reset. After all, it self monitors so if something isn't right, it will soon let you know.

Last edited:

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well maybe its just a sign of different strokes for different folks. I would rather fork out than take a chance.

OP
J

JamesSD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320/2004/Estate
great discussion, but any recommendations for someone to help me with my reset??

thank you!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Not sure if any one will take it on to reset the SBC unit, especially on an open forum, I've no doubt it is being done to try and sell cars on.
It would be good to get some input from our excellent pack of resident indies on here on their views as to how a reset would pan out.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We would not reset an SBC pump, we would do the star test (foc) to see if if recommends a reset and then point them to our local dealer. The OE kit cost about £1500 and is not economical for us to purchase. Then there is the liability of something going wrong etc etc.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder if the unit was reset and it failed who would be liable for any accident?

I imagine your insurer would say you didn't follow manufacturer guidelines and so modded the car and thus they aren't liable to pay out.

Whoever mods it will probably have a disclaimer somewhere as well so they wont be liable.

Thus leaving you uninsured should something untoward happen.

Still want to take that chance?

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
Thought MB dealers did the reset first if that was OK anyway nowadays. If the OP's dealer is recommending replacement I'd guess they think resetting isn't an option in his case.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
IIRC when the unit is interrogated by STAR it will show if the service count has been extended already. If not then STAR can extend to the new recommended limit. If it has already been extended it will not be able to extend again and require replacement.
I don't know if this can be "overridden" or not but I for one will not be going down that path should the SBC on my CLS require attention

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IIRC when the unit is interrogated by STAR it will show if the service count has been extended already. If not then STAR can extend to the new recommended limit. If it has already been extended it will not be able to extend again and require replacement.
I don't know if this can be "overridden" or not but I for one will not be going down that path should the SBC on my CLS require attention

The star test will tell you if a reset is possible, but an additional piece of equipement which connects on to star is req to reset sbc.

OP
J

JamesSD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320/2004/Estate
Thanks for everyone's input, technical and moral!

I'll get in touch with my dealer again, to check over what they think about a reset, and also find out exactly what the error code was. I also have a great indie looking into it. Fingers crossed for a good response!

Does anyone know if the SBC unit is purely monitored by this counter, or is there another sensor in the system that provides feedback - hydraulic pressure generated or similar? Relying purely on a counter seems rudimentary at best.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
The star test will tell you if a reset is possible, but an additional piece of equipement which connects on to star is req to reset sbc.

I thought it's only developer mode needed according the instruction I have?

OP: at least the pressure is monitored because failing accumulator (there is a test procedure in star if I recall right), air in the system or leaking pipes are detected.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought it's only developer mode needed according the instruction I have?

OP: at least the pressure is monitored because failing accumulator (there is a test procedure in star if I recall right), air in the system or leaking pipes are detected.

When going through the fault read, star will tell you the extra piece of kit required and part number. Never used developer mode.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
When going through the fault read, star will tell you the extra piece of kit required and part number. Never used developer mode.

Oh yes, I remember seeing that SBC unit programming kit in WIS documents or somewhere. But I'm sure it can be done via developer mode coding too, just not so simple ;)

Top Bottom