Not quite an Owner...Advice?

unsure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 2013 220 CDI
Hi,

New to the forum but interested in a bit of quick advice. After spending some time comparing the BMW 5 series, the Jag XF and the E Class, I decided on the E class and after a lot of price haggling agreed to buy from my franchised main MB dealer.

Having completed the ordering paperwork and providing payment details for my deposit I left with the impression that I'd bought my car (new,but existing in the system) along with my "welcome paperwork", with the final finance paperwork to be completed a few days before delivery in approximately one weeks time.

I called yesterday to arrange to head in to finalise the finance details to be told that the car I'd ordered had been sold and they're looking for another one :shock: . I've since checked and the deposit amount has not been taken from my account.

The way I see it:

I should have been contacted regarding this problem; not left to call to find out.
I'm no longer obliged to buy a car from this dealer.

As you can imagine, I'm fuming to have put a considerable amount of time into choosing a new car and to be let down by the dealer with zero communication ( I have considered voting with my feet to another manufacturer based on this issue; although not actioned ).

My current options are:

Purchase from another local-ish dealer (offer available) for a similar vehicle (larger engine).
Purchase a new build online (offer available but a long lead time)
Allow the current dealer to find a new car.

Apologies for the long rambling post, your thoughts?

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Do you mind sharing the info of the dealer, so that we can in turn take time to spit on their face. This is an affront to your personality and is completely inadmissible. Total lack of professionalism. Now, if I was the one buying a new car at that amount, I would expect Mercedes to be popping champagne for me every blessed day, right from the day the car was ordered till the day I would take delivery. Now, by doing that, they show commitment that they value their customers. Who do they take us for? Expecting one to spend close to 60,000 k on a car and have nothing in return? :rolleyes:

OP
U

unsure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 2013 220 CDI
Do you mind sharing the info of the dealer, so that we can in turn take time to spit on their face. This is an affront to your personality and is completely inadmissible. Total lack of professionalism. Now, if I was the one buying a new car at that amount, I would expect Mercedes to be popping champagne for me every blessed day, right from the day the car was ordered till the day I would take delivery. Now, by doing that, they show commitment that they value their customers. Who do they take us for? Expecting one to spend close to 60,000 k on a car and have nothing in return? :rolleyes:

It's an E class not an S class but the same principal should apply; I'm spending my money...

I'd rather not share the dealer at present as it may be one poor individual rather than the dealership as a whole. I'd like to see how they handle it.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
First thought would be to go to the other dealer, with the larger engine, if:

a You're happy with the spec;
b You're happy with the price.

I try not to do "New" cars as lead times put me right off!

On the other hand, if you have a piece of paper saying sale agreed (regardless of whether they actually managed to take that payment through no fault of your own), I may also be inclined to really push that - I believe in that instance they have entered into a contract with you (someone better qualified should be along shortly to correct me on that...). Better spec car, less cost, service package, etc, may be there for negotiating!

Last edited:

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Sorry to hear that unsure - an example of poor customer service it seems, given the money you are spending. In terms of your options I'd see what the dealer offers in terms of the next vehicle, how it compares in terms of price and spec. There's nothing to stop you looking elsewhere while they do this.

I wouldn't bother ordering completely new if I were you.

Let us know what you decide, and good on you for being objective in terms of not naming the dealer - you are a stronger man than I ;)

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
On the other hand, if you have a piece of paper saying sale agreed (regardless of whether they actually managed to take that payment through no fault of your own), I may also be inclined to really push that - I believe in that instance they have entered into a contract with you (someone better qualified should be along shortly to correct me on that...). Better spec car, less cost, service package, etc, may be there for negotiating!

This is also a valid point, if you have something signed by both parties agreeing the sale of the car - even finance documents that state the vehicle registration - then you may have a case of breach of contract.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
If you have filled all the paperwork in and agreed to buy the car then it is yours, if they have since sold it to another person that is breach of contract, I would be in the DP's office, calmly explaining my problem with them

Cossack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e coupe/2012/2200
It is my guess that somebody found a cash buyer for the car and it was sold to them on the basis that they would find the same model / spec for you in the meantime. I assume that "your" car did not have an unusual colour / interior combination or any exotic options ticked.

If you do proceed with them, as soon as they have sourced the new vehicle I would request the VIN number; that way they won't be able to let that go to someone else without you finding out. You will also be able to get full spec details from one of the kind folk on here.

I would also resist signing the new finance agreement until you have physically seen the car and, when you have seen the car, there may be an opportunity for you to extract a further discount or some more goodies (when I bought mine there was a mix up with the paperwork which caused me significant inconvenience resulting in them giving me a map pilot for nothing).

They have given you the opportunity to shop around more - it would be rude not to take it!

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
@Op,

When you finally decide on the right Mercedes vehicle, think of changing your username from 'unsure' to ' sure' or '100%sure'. Don't blame the salesman who made you to be unsure. I blame Mercedes who is paying him too much in bonus.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Executive SE Coupé ('13)
Just a quick note and may not be entirely applicable to your circumstances, but the dealer and salesman in question may be as devastated about this as you are. We have had instances within our (12 dealership) group whereby the same car is sold by two different dealerships, as all stock is joint. This can happen on the same day and be nobody in particular's 'fault' - except perhaps a fault of the systems in place.

Not saying that has necessarily happened to you; just giving another angle.

OP
U

unsure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 2013 220 CDI
I suspect that is what's happened, and I'm actually quite comfortable with that scenario. It's primarily the poor communication from the dealer that has annoyed me.

To update the story, to his credit the original dealer did eventually come back with a very good offer however, it was much later than the time I'd asked him to so I'd already agreed with an alternative.

It's a shame as the dealer had obviously put in effort (both initially and since losing the car) however I prefer to be kept informed (good news or bad) rather than have surprises.

Thanks for the advice all.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom