Over run??

MERC210

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS 200 CDI AND e 320 cdi sln 2006 facelift
Hi all l just got my first v6 e class 2006/7 reg great car went out last night with my mate who also has a v6 and he tells me that I should let the car run on for a few seconds after stopping and not turn the v6 off straight away when parked as it can blow the turbo is that correct ???:confused:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Hi all l just got my first v6 e class 2006/7 reg great car went out last night with my mate who also has a v6 and he tells me that I should let the car run on for a few seconds after stopping and not turn the v6 off straight away when parked as it can blow the turbo is that correct ???:confused:

newer engines are not as prone to turbo failure after stopping but yes your friend is right to suggest to wait 5-10 seconds after stopping to allow the turbo to spool down on its own.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Actually the engine is at virtual idle while you are parking up, and even after a motorway run you still cannot park up without getting to a parking spot, so there again its not being used during this maneuver.

In general for the whole engine after a high speed run one should always do the last section slower to allow some cooling to take place

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
Wasn't it a problem with early turbos that there was a lack of oil supply to the turbo after switching off the engine resulting in wear to the bearings (as well as the temperature issue mentioned earlier) ?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
It's a problem with all turbochargers.
Always best to let the car run on idle for a little while before turning off the engine.
This keeps coolant flowing through the turbocharger whilst it spools down and cools.
Otherwise you can get premature bearing failure as the lubricating oil gets cooked and carbonizes.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Your friend is correct.....if your car was built in 1965.

As regards your car, a lot of people posting are missing an important point:

The turbo on your car is wholly electronic and will only spool when the ECU tells it too.

No damage can take place by not switching it off straight away. If the engine is not above 1700rpm, there is no turbo actuation anyway so by the time you have parked on your driveway or maneuvered into a space it hasnt worked for 30 secs or more!

There is no need to idle or cool it after. Simply switch it off. You will do no damage.

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom