barrel bush?

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
car was checked over at Merc dealers today, various snags listed, all at ridiculous prices. I tried to get some more details on the offside rear 'barrel bush' that is worn, but all I was told is that it looks like a barrel.....as do pretty much all the bushes listed for the rear suspension.
Anyone help me out here?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Unclear on what you mean, where is this part please

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Were you given a written estimate of costs? Perhaps that gives more information as to what needs replacing.

OP
R

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
Unclear on what you mean, where is this part please

errrr? that's what I'm asking!
The quote says- 'o/s/r barrel bush has play...'
He did tell me it's the body end of whatever suspension component it is, rather than the wheel end.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I suggest asking them to get their parts department to print off a picture for you.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Just guessing, but perhaps its the bushing on the chassis end of the lower "wishbone" as many of the other items in the rear suspension don't have replaceable bushes.

Other than that, assuming that you took it in for a problem with the rear end, what symptoms were you experiencing? Maybe that will aid us in pinpointing what they're on about.

OP
R

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
If you mean what is called the 'spring control arm' i.e the sprung bit that lets the wheel go up and down (bizarre name for it) what would be a wishbone on most other cars, that's what I'm thinking too. It was just that the guy at the dealers called it a barrel bush like that's what everybody did...
I'm busy doing the front at the moment, will have an investigate at the back soon.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Spring control arm?
That's probably it.
It's only got the one bush and so isn't shaped like a wishbone, hence the quote marks in my last comment.
Off hand it's the only replaceable bush in the suspension, apart from the rear sub-frame bushes, but I don't think that they're referring to that.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I must admit, I couldn't see an item 80 in that picture. I'd have gone for item 410 myself.

OP
R

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
I must admit, I couldn't see an item 80 in that picture. I'd have gone for item 410 myself.

If you click on the blue '1' near the top left of the screen it opens the first picture, showing the lower numbered items, sorry, my mistake

memoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL63AMG
It's probably the lower hub bush where the lower connects to hub. A special tool is required to remove and refit

Top Bottom