A couple of questions about 2013 E-Class

aquiss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDi AMG Sport
On my C-Class I currently have Xenon Headlights with DLR and Intelligent Lighting System which is really good. On the E-Class, the ILS is an option, which I can see, however I can't see in the E-Class pricelist if it has Xenon Headlights or if I would have to upgrade them? After having these lights for the past 3 years, I could never go back a step.

I am debating if to go for a 220CDI or 250CDI. I have currently have a C250CDI because I found the 2 turbo's better. Is this also the case on the E-Class that the 220CDI lacks an 2nd turbo?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
No. The OM651 engine is two turbo in 220cdi and 250cdi, the 250cdi being in a higher tune.

I'd recommend an E250cdi or E350cdi as an E220cdi will be slow after a C250cdi.

I think you have to now upgrade to ILS on the new E class now, a shame but worth doing

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
You're right, the brochure isn't very clear. It says standard spec has "Partial LED headlamps – indicators and high-beam are halogen". Then for the ILS upgrade it says "LED Intelligent Light System; High-performance headlamps, including Active Light System, cornering light function and Adaptive High Beam Assist". No mention of Xenon anywhere, and no clear explanation of whether the ILS has LED only or a mixture of sources.

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In answer to your question on 220 vs 250, I've said this before and I'll keep saying it: as much as I otherwise like my car, I do slightly regret having chosen the 220. The 250 gives more or less the same fuel economy but is more powerful, hence would seem better choice (although for me not important). But what I really dislike is the roughness of the engine, especially at low speed and under acceleration - although I'm told the 250 might be marginally worse still in that respect. I think for me the choice for my next engine will be (somewhat contradictorily) either the eco-friendliness of the 300 hybrid or the (alleged, haven't tried myself) smoothness and power of the 350.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I agree.
The 2 things I am missing most from my CLK are Xenons and a smooth engine.
I think the torque band is wider on the 220.

OP
A

aquiss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDi AMG Sport
Why not do a search "reviews and test 2013 E class"

I have to be fair and thus why I have come here to get a couple of questions asked that I need help on. I'm sorry if my questions appear dumb :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You are a wise man asking all you can before a purchase of a new car :D

These new LED headlamps only have 1 lamp and shutters are used to dip, it is a new concept, and too early to get much feedback

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Care to elaborate...?

Too technical, maybe. If you have the brochure, it's worth reading as that will help answer your own question. On a second thought, take a trip, to your nearest Mercedes dealership, take the car in question for a test drive and seize that opportunity to bombard them with questions relating to so so so and so. They are there for that.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Too technical, maybe. If you have the brochure, it's worth reading as that will help answer your own question. On a second thought, take a trip, to your nearest Mercedes dealership, take the car in question for a test drive and seize that opportunity to bombard them with questions relating to so so so and so. They are there for that.

When ever I have tried that it turned out that I knew more than them about the car

OP
A

aquiss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDi AMG Sport
I agree with television here....I do not claim to be any form of expert of Mercedes, but 3 years ago I was knew loads more than the sales rep.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Care to elaborate...?

I do not think that st4 knows on this.

They give out a light somewhere between a halogen and an Exnon , they are expensive to make, they can get hot where all the electrodes join up, they offer car makers the chance to use smaller headlamp, thus change the design of the cars. Toyota use them on their electric cars.

I can see wiring and connector problems in the future, one or 2 LEDs may fail and near impossible to get to the rear owing to the construction

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Too technical, maybe. If you have the brochure, it's worth reading as that will help answer your own question.

Too technical for who? Granted, I'm not an engineer, but if people explain things to me like I'm a 2-year-old, occasionally I may understand.

Anyway, my question was whether st4 would like to offer any evidence for that statement? I'm not entirely sure I'll get the answer to that from the brochures...? :confused:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
What this doesn't mention is that LEDs are adaptive for different speeds and road conditions by varying pattern and throw of the lights

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/battle-of-the-headlights-halogen-vs-xenon-vs-led-26530.html

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/ne...oins-adaptive-led-headlight-research-2013-05/

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500741

http://forums.audiworld.com/archive/index.php/t-2807699.html

So a very bright lamp like a xenon one, or one that comes closer to natural light that can adapt...

However, the Adaptive LED Headlights are about more than just looking good; they also ensure the driver can see well. Their bright white light provides an intense and even illumination of the road ahead. From a colour perspective, the light comes much closer to natural daylight than that created by conventional halogen or xenon headlights, lending even reflective objects far greater contrast. The cornering element of the Adaptive LED Headlights is also tailored to the car’s speed, steering angle and yaw rate, allowing the pivot of the headlights to adapt automatically to the line of the corner

I know what I'd rather have.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom