Vibration between 1500-2000 rpm

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
It started a couple of days ago. Engine started to vibrate quite a lot at appr 1500-2000 rpm. It doesn't matter if it is in gear or not. A little worse when cold. No CEL. Engine has 185000 km. I recently changed the tranny mount but haven't got around to the engine mounts but it is hard to see that this could be the problem? Any suggestions on where to start looking.

It's a C55 and the vibrations feels mostly through the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Dwg_23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 C250 estate
I had the same thing... Changed tranny mount but didn't change the engine mounts.... Change these it will be a totally different car! Mine must have been gone for a while!!

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Where did you get the tranny mount from? Is the vibration the same or worse?
I would go with engine mounts next but have seen dodgy tranny mounts if not purchased from mb

OP
F

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
I bought from Mapco.

I would say that I didn't notice much difference in any direction after I changed the tranny mount. The vibrations I have now came about a week after the change. Changing the mount did raise the tranny about one centimeter compared to the old one. Plan was to change all mounts but I did not have the time to do more than the tranny and the car was raised anyway to change into summertires.

But you do believe it is the mounts? That would be a relieve since I'm having all kind of trouble with my car now: Sunroof, PDC-sensors, squeaking noise from rear suspension, no heat in either seats and head light washers only working when they want to (and that's when they aren't needed)... I also must change the front discs :-(

Dwg_23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 C250 estate
If it helps my vibration was a lot worse after a good long run, changed all the mounts and its so smooth now! I just thought it was the tranny mount..
Took it to my very good indie and he said engine mounts straight away!

Mines Manual and putting the car in reverse and letting the clutch out you could hear it alot!

OP
F

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
I have now changed the mounts but the problem is still there. No difference if car is in D or N. The engine shakes quite a lot now from tick over up to appr. 2000 rpm.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Some more possible causes,

Aux belt tensioner & damper, damaged pulley or aux belt, for that matter anything the aux belt drives. Try taking off the belt and running it for a short while to see if it goes away. Beware that there will be no water pump action and extended running will over heat the engine while the belt is missing, a minute or two wont do any harm.

And at the other end of the engine the flywheel and clutch or torque converter may be defective, try holding the clutch down if its a manual and see if that stops the vibration.

An ignition fault may be causing it to missfire due to weak sparks, plugs and HT leads may be guilty. Star might show up some faults.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
I'd say look for a misfire as a first option.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Is the vibration consistent, or is it sporadic? If sporadic then misfire as Corned says, if consistent then I had the same problem, and it was after I hit the bottom of a parking ramp which slightly bent my front subframe, allowing the engine to touch it slightly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Another here for a slight miss fire

OP
F

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
I'm also more and more inclined to think it may be a misfire. I think (attention is high now) I feel a slight hesitation during accelaration as well.

Since I don't have a CEL, is it possible to see this with a STAR?

And thanks for all answers!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm also more and more inclined to think it may be a misfire. I think (attention is high now) I feel a slight hesitation during accelaration as well.

Since I don't have a CEL, is it possible to see this with a STAR?

And thanks for all answers!

Yes star can find a misfire, but only in the ignition system, mine has a misfire caused my the maf and star doesn't detect it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

OP
F

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
I have a crack, about half an inch long, in the vent hose running from the "snorkle" between the MAF and the throttle body. Can this have affect the engine not running as smooth as it should? A new one is ordered but it will take a few days until I get it.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a crack, about half an inch long, in the vent hose running from the "snorkle" between the MAF and the throttle body. Can this have affect the engine not running as smooth as it should? A new one is ordered but it will take a few days until I get it.

Of course! If unmetered air can get in past the maf then the AF ratio will be off.

OP
F

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
Of course! If unmetered air can get in past the maf then the AF ratio will be off.

I thought this as well. I detected it today when I planned to clean the MAF and the throttle body, which I didn't got around to anyway. Might as well wait until the hose arrives.

OP
F

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
An update...
Changed the hose. Cleaned the MAF and throttle body. Things got a little better but not perfect. Engine still shakes around 1500-2000 rpm when cold. I tried running it while the MAF was disconnected but did not detect any difference. I will hook up the car to a computer tomorrow to check for codes.

Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 w204 om651 auto / 2015 om651 w204 c220 amg coupe
An update...
Changed the hose. Cleaned the MAF and throttle body. Things got a little better but not perfect. Engine still shakes around 1500-2000 rpm when cold. I tried running it while the MAF was disconnected but did not detect any difference. I will hook up the car to a computer tomorrow to check for codes.
And did you get to the bottom of this??

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom