What to look out for

Samwilde681

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum, im currently selling my Clio V6 to make way for a bigger family car which ive decided is going to be the E class. I'm looking at an 03-05 320 CDI which seem to be reasonably cheap. Is there anything I need to look out for, or be careful of? Obviously theres the service history etc but in relation to the E class is there anything specific?

Thanks guys, been fun reading some of the posts, and im 29 so is the E class an old mans car? maybe but IMO its a young mans car with taste too.

Sam

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The car will have SBC brakes, if the pump fails it will be a costly repair, good car other than that bit

GordonTarling

Reaction score
Website
www.hackerbrushless.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2007 E63 AMG Estate
If you can, go for a slightly later facelift model - no SBC and a host of other improvements. Facelift was around mid '06. SBC is a ticking time bomb and best avoided if you possibly can. These models can also be found with the additional rust feature, so check thoroughly.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum, im currently selling my Clio V6 to make way for a bigger family car which ive decided is going to be the E class. I'm looking at an 03-05 320 CDI which seem to be reasonably cheap. Is there anything I need to look out for, or be careful of? Obviously theres the service history etc but in relation to the E class is there anything specific?

Thanks guys, been fun reading some of the posts, and im 29 so is the E class an old mans car? maybe but IMO its a young mans car with taste too.

Sam
Go for it, I was 27 when I got my e class estate and from one Clio V6 owner to another it's a great car, I will have it for quite a few years and even though that will probably mean a sbc replacement at some point (maybe not as not everyone knows why or when they will expire) I think it's still cheaper than buying another new car and keep something I know and love.

On another note was your Clio a phase 1 or phase 2? Mine was a blue phase 2 and plate number 003 I was a very proud owner back in 2003 :)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
rust! particularly on pre facelift models

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
^ Front edge of the rear arches, above the sills.

Can happen at almost any age it seems, unfortunately, but the later the better.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom