W202 Xenon headlights

Duncan.ml

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi X reg
I have a W202 (1999) which has from factory Xenon headlights. One of them has just been broken and replacement from Mercedes is over £400. I have also tried pattern parts, but they also come in at over £400.
I do however, have a standard set of headlights from another W202. Is there anyway of adapting these to fit instead as the plugs are all different.

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The beam pattern is all wrong and not a good idea, is there not a lamp on Ebay cheap

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
The best thing you could probably do is remove the headlight from the car and see if you can remove the glass from it to replace the lens but for xenons the glass is not the same as standard headlight glass so you could bring the cost down a little if you can buy the glass on its own, getting the part number from the original.

OP
D

Duncan.ml

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi X reg
Nothing at all on e-bay. Would the beam pattern be ok if I changed both headlamp units? Just need to know how to alter the loom if possible?

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Nothing at all on e-bay. Would the beam pattern be ok if I changed both headlamp units? Just need to know how to alter the loom if possible?

No, the xenon lenses are specific to the light from the bulbs, using a standard lens would distort the beam pattern and dazzle other road users

OP
D

Duncan.ml

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi X reg
I did think about changing the lens only but the complete headlamp unit has been completely destroyed! So its a new unit, (which will probably outweigh the cost of the car) or different headlights.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You must find one on Ebay or a breaker

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
£400 for a replacement Xenon Headlight for a 202 from MB is pretty damn cheap incidently, as I,m sure in the past these have been substantially more expensive, these units are all but impossible to source second hand you can be waiting years before a set comes along.
What is broken on your headlight that would require it to be replaced, as the glass lens are available from MB (though they are specific to the Xenon unit) less than £100, both the ballast and ignitors can be sourced from various internet sources again for less than £100, and new lamps can be bought for £20 a pair.
Depending on what side you require Euromerc has a brand new 202 Xenon light on his website again at substantially less than the £400 quoted.
As long as you use the correct Halogen headlight (it has to have two separete round black covers on the back of the headlight) then there is no wiring difference in the cables going to the headlights as the Xenon option was designed as a retro fit option, and the standard Bosch Halogen Headlight is a direct replacement for the Xenon item, though you will have to use your electric levelling motors in the replacement halogen headlights.

Last edited:
OP
D

Duncan.ml

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 cdi X reg
Ah I see, so it is possible to fit the standard lamps that I here from another w202

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
Spend the £400, standard headlights are terrible compared to xenon

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom