W210 320 CDI fan belt snapped

andyains

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W210 E320 CDI
On my way home tonight my 2001 E320 cdi estate started to overheat, lost power and the steering became very heavy. The battery/Alternator indicator also came on. Pulled over straight away (in the rain on the M56!) and Mr RAC diagnosed a snapped fan belt and I was towed home.

I'm assuming this is a fairly straightforward thing to fix. I have a good indie nearby. Also assuming that that the other symptoms are as a result of the fan belt snapping. However, I would appreciate any advice or other issues to consider.

Mr RAC seemed to think everything else looked ok on his fairly cursory inspection (even used my favourite MB-related phrase 'bombproof' when talking about the engine!). It's an otherwise reliable motor and it all looks pretty clean under the bonnet. But I have an untrained eye so I'd appreciate any additional comments from the much more experienced and knowledgable members of the forum.

R

Ringway

Changing the poly-belt isn't difficult and shouldn't cost more than £100 including parts and labour.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do check the condition of the idler and alternator pulley, the alternator pulley has a clutch, these fail shredding the belt.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Do check the condition of the idler and alternator pulley, the alternator pulley has a clutch, these fail shredding the belt.

Yes - you have to ask why the belt snapped. I'd suspect there is a problem somewhere

Nick Froome

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
When the V-belt went on my old E430 I found it to have been caused by the idler pulley failing - I found it lying on the engine under tray!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When the V-belt went on my old E430 I found it to have been caused by the idler pulley failing - I found it lying on the engine under tray!

Very hard to put a new one on without that ;):D

R

Ringway

The idler pulley was the cause of the belt shredding on my LWB Sprinter.
The 10 miles drive home without power steering was great fun, especially at mini-roundabouts which took 3-4 attempts to turn right at.

I had a high-pitched whine from the engine that followed the rev pattern and it was cured when I fitted the new pulley.
The noise had been there for well over a year and I just couldn't fathom where it was coming from. :confused: :rolleyes:

OP
A

andyains

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W210 E320 CDI
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like an old belt but going in tomorrow morning to a local independent. £60 to replace the belt. I'll have him check the integrity of the alternator pulley too

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
He needs to check everthing the belt runs on.:lol::lol:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom