replacing step plates

orc2707

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl550
i want to replace the steel mb step plates as you enter the car. are they easy to remove and install

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your car sir is it a 230

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK You just pull up hard and they all unlip, do the inner one first.

To refit just place over the clips and tap down with the palm of your hand :D

When you get the new ones,,, cover them with a wide plastic clear tape, I did this and it stops them from scratching so easily and looks OK

Last edited:
OP
O

orc2707

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl550
do you have to pry them up with a screwdriver or something similar

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just start at the rear end, and lift up. Something plastic might help to start it off.

Please not that some of the clips may lift out from the metal sills, just push them back down, you do not need the new clips.

Take care that the rear most one is also holding the rear side panel with a little U shaped piece, so just make sure that this clip is holding the rear side trim panel.

Also when re fitting get the front in place first so that it sits where they old one was, mark the end on the car with a bit of sticky tape as you cannot slide them along.

N

npuk

Search ebay for helicopter tape, I use it on my sills to stop them getting scratched.

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Search ebay for helicopter tape, I use it on my sills to stop them getting scratched.

Too late for mine on the CL and like the ones for the "New SL" above they are very expensive at £70 each, the SL uses stainless, the CL uses plastic

Nice to know though and thanks

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom