Performance Brake Pads (here we go again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
Ok, I'm well aware of how many brake pad/disc threads exist, and the notable, if not significant differences in perceived performance between the usual Eicher quality through to the OEM Texar/ATE, with everything Pagid in between. But...

Having run Pagid all round on our W220 S320CDi for a few years, the level of fade when they (often) get hot is just too bad. Where we live there are plenty of opportunities to need to really push the (standard) brakes on this already heavy car, and we cant afford to put '600/AMG stoppers on it at present.

I want to avoid EBC Yellow, because from experience on other cars, they need too much warming up, and even though they are 'R90' and work really well when hot, i dont feel they are safe for UK road use, such as needing to do sudden stops on the Motorway when they have cooled right down.

So, simply, can anyone suggest other manufacturers who make 'performance' pads to fit the W220 S-class for us to try, without me having to wait for 4 weeks and £200 later for CarboTech to make me some pads!??

Thanks!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
EBC changed the formula for the reds 3 years ago, they are amazing, I had them on my SL and now have them on my CL and the stopping power is amazing from ice cold, a good life as well

N

npuk

I had Tarox 'fast road' pads and discs on a previous car which I thought were very good, not cheap though. Black Diamond, Ferodo etc should all have upgrade 'fast road' pads.

Last edited by a moderator:

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Surely if you're driving an S-Class to make the brakes fade, you're in the wrong car?

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Ok, I'm well aware of how many brake pad/disc threads exist, and the notable, if not significant differences in perceived performance between the usual Eicher quality through to the OEM Texar/ATE, with everything Pagid in between. But...

Having run Pagid all round on our W220 S320CDi for a few years, the level of fade when they (often) get hot is just too bad. Where we live there are plenty of opportunities to need to really push the (standard) brakes on this already heavy car, and we cant afford to put '600/AMG stoppers on it at present.

I want to avoid EBC Yellow, because from experience on other cars, they need too much warming up, and even though they are 'R90' and work really well when hot, i dont feel they are safe for UK road use, such as needing to do sudden stops on the Motorway when they have cooled right down.

So, simply, can anyone suggest other manufacturers who make 'performance' pads to fit the W220 S-class for us to try, without me having to wait for 4 weeks and £200 later for CarboTech to make me some pads!??

Thanks!

We took the 221 to the Pyrenees last year, where there was nothing but snaking mountain roads, and we had no problems with the brakes. Maybe you should be using the gears more ?

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Having had a set, I'd try the Carbotechs. I assume you've checked the discs, calipers & wheel bearings and changed the fluid already

Nick Froome

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
We took the 221 to the Pyrenees last year, where there was nothing but snaking mountain roads, and we had no problems with the brakes. Maybe you should be using the gears more ?

As the OP says, he wants brakes that work now and not in a second or two time so, when having to brake heavily from very high speed, changing down just may not be an option.

I cannot understand why MB brakes are so average when Porsche brakes of the same spec - disc diameter and number of pistons in the caliper - are so damned good. Even allowing for the weight difference, my CLK55 has about two thirds of the stopping power of a 996 on the same spec system. I, too, am interested in changing and was considering EBC Yellow but will now ponder the Red again.

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Odd. As I found the brakes on the 996 (turbo variant) to be lacking.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
Odd. As I found the brakes on the 996 (turbo variant) to be lacking.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Never had a problem with 911 brakes at all - 3.2/964/993 and 996. My last one - 996GT3 - had immediate bite, a high pedal and pulled the car down from 175mph at Bruntingthorpe 40 times in one afternoon - the discs didn't look good mind, but there was absolutely no loss of confidence that they would stop every time. Same size disc and four piston caliper, as per the CLK55. There was one there that day, stripped out and delimited, which was just the same speed as my car but he was constantly limited by his brakes which did not have that initial bite which allows you to leave it to the last minute. Ultimate braking was there but the first phase was very sadly lacking - I know, I tried it.............

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
GT3 may have been different brakes from what I recall! The 911s I have had, the brakes felt wooden! They did stop you in the end, but very different from most modern cars, where you feel the bite!

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
GT3 may have been different brakes from what I recall! The 911s I have had, the brakes felt wooden! They did stop you in the end, but very different from most modern cars, where you feel the bite!

I think the 996 turbo had 6 piston calipers and a bigger disc than the GT3 so you might expect it to feel about the same I guess, given the weight difference - about 300kg I think. I think the way we all perceive this stuff is very different and one person's immediate bite is another's delay. Ho hum. I shall try Red Stuff pads anyway before chucking £3000 at bigger brakes.........

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
As the OP says, he wants brakes that work now and not in a second or two time so, when having to brake heavily from very high speed, changing down just may not be an option.

I cannot understand why MB brakes are so average when Porsche brakes of the same spec - disc diameter and number of pistons in the caliper - are so damned good. Even allowing for the weight difference, my CLK55 has about two thirds of the stopping power of a 996 on the same spec system. I, too, am interested in changing and was considering EBC Yellow but will now ponder the Red again.

The OP did not seem to be complaining about lack of response, but of "the level of fade when they (often) get hot is just too bad, and I would have thought they can only get really hot after prolonged use.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do not think the the reds will ever fade,but I have never pushed my cars that hard

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm out of this one :D

I know how you feel, crazy that we are the only forum in the world where some things cannot be discussed, but this one is going OK so far :D:D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I know how you feel, crazy that we are the only forum in the world where some things cannot be discussed, but this one is going OK so far :D:D

It is a shame how some members cannot accept another's opinion without having to constantly come back trying to have the last word .. :D :D :D

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Which are best. Standard, Red, Green or Yellow?

If I knew how to create a "Poll", I would. Maybe a moderator could start a poll to see what everyones experiences are?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Which are best. Standard, Red, Green or Yellow?

If I knew how to create a "Poll", I would. Maybe a moderator could start a poll to see what everyones experiences are?

The pads have different characteristics for different applications and cars, most have never used them and they would vote against them.

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
The OP did not seem to be complaining about lack of response, but of "the level of fade when they (often) get hot is just too bad, and I would have thought they can only get really hot after prolonged use.
..but he did mention Yellow Stuff pads not being suitable as they had no bite when cold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom