E Class Buying Advice Needed

SteveGoodz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Hi folks, I've just starting to look for an E Class motor, preferably an estate but would also consider a saloon. I'm thinking late 2000 to 2003 so S210/211 or W210/211 - if I read the data correctly :)

My questions really concern whether vehicles from this period in time are worth looking at (i.e. are they less reliable than others or more prone to certain problems, etc.) Also what I should be aware of so as not to end up buying a money pit as I alrready have one of those (it's called a Land Rover Discovery). I've seen some nice looking vehicles in local dealers for not a lot of money but am wary of taking the plunge without getting some advice first. I appreciate that older cars need more TLC and I'm no slouch with a set of spanners - I've kept the Discovery going for 13 years so must be pretty good - but don't want to spend every waking moment under the bonnet.

Finally (for now at least) I've seen a seven seat version of the estate car which would be very handy as I have two young (4 & 7) granddaughters who love to ride in the back seats of the Discovery. Would I end up sacrificing something else in order to get the benefit of the third row of seats?

Any views and advice would be much appreciated.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
These rust like old 70s Alfas, so check number one, but otherwise pretty ok mechanically

Buy the best condition you can afford

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
IIRC the inline 6 cylinder engines can develop problems with the injector seals/seats, causing the "black death" Essential to take the cover off and have a look.
Check all the electrics work.
They are famous the the amount of rust they can have. Wheel arches, headlamp areas, tailgate etc etc. Plenty of threads on here about it.
Headlamps are coated and that can become very opaque. An easy-ish fix.
210 Facelift models had Xenons and indicators in the mirror housings.

Aside from that they have plenty of toys and my MY2000 320 CDi went like stink! Spend some time getting a good-un and it'll repay you handsomely. :D

OP
S

SteveGoodz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Cheers for the replies so far - nothing to put me off so far :)

Regarding the dreaded tin worm: are we talking cosmetic rather than structural?

robfly

Event organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C63 AMG Wagon Edition 125 2011
The rust on mine is cosmetic , structurally , she is sound .
The doors are the worse bits on mine , but nothing that I cannot
sort out .
She has done 220.000 miles , goes like stink , regularly
get mid to high 40,s to the gallon , very comfy , no rattles .

all cars have there issues , yes I've had the injectors re-seated,
Suspension parts , etc , but at 13 years old and this mileage , one
can expect things to need replacing .

Find the best one you can for your budget , preferably with a good service
history . They are a great car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You must allow £1500 in case the SBC pump fails

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Which year did they fit SBC Malcolm? Was it facelift model around 2001?

My 1998 W210 didn't have SBC.
The petrol engines are pretty sound but obviously thirstier than the diesel.

Check for rust around the rear sub-frame chassis area, front spring perches and front cross member. All other, expected areas of corrosion are non-structural.

If you can find one that is sound rust wise then there really isn't much to worry about, other then checking that they've had a gearbox oil change at least once in their life (they were sold as sealed for life, but weren't in reality).

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
210s don't have SBC but 211s have

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
It's the braking system ..... Search these forums for SBC and see what he means....

Suffice to say MB don't use it anymore ....

==========================

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
SBC is on W211 model EClass 2002 onwards....

From the thread the op appears to want to buy a W210 (1995>2002) Eclass which did not have SBC.

I have owned a 2001 W210 E220cdi avantgarde, great car, yes they have rust issues but really make sure you check front suspension beam, you can view from front of engine (its at the bottom), MB changed mine under warranty even tho the car was 8 years old at the time, known safety issue...

Helpful link http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/e-class-w210-1995/

Last edited:
OP
S

SteveGoodz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Thanks for all the information provided so far ... much appreciated :)

I'm pretty certain that this is the car I want to buy but there are so many advertised on t'Interweb it's all getting a bit confusing :confused:

If I'm looking at photos of a vehicle, what are the visual clues as to whether it is a 210 or 211?

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stick both in Google images and all will be revealed

deejaybee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now - W210 E320cdi
I would think an early W211 could be more risk as an "old car" purchase than a W210, so it might be worth restrictiong your search to these?

The W210's are not too complicated and much of the stuff that is likely to need doing / standard maintenance can be done DIY if that is what you want.

Rust is the main issue - most of it is essentially cosmetic and can be kept at bay if it is not too bad in the first place. Doors can rust badly on the top window frame and on the door underside, so always try and lift the door rubbers on all four doors when viewing something. If they are stuck down it means that something has been done in the past and they have been sealed as part of trying to minimise water ingress under the rubber, but if it looks like it may have just been done be careful it hasn't been bodged to cover up the rust underneath!

You don't say if you want petrol or diesel, but there are plenty of both around. Just be aware that E240 petrols are rather thirsty and you would do better to go for an E200 or E320.

If you see any older pre-facelift (-99) ones around it might be worth having a quick look to see what you think. Whilst the face lift interior is bit more modern the leather interiors are inferior in my view as it is a different grade and does not wear anywhere near as well.

Good luck with your search. There are lots around, so you shouldn't need to travel too far to see a few.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I had both an E320 with the straight 6 petrol and the E430 with the V8. On a run not much to tell them apart mpg wise, but around town the V8 would give around 16-18mpg whereas the 320 would be around 20mpg.

They did introduce a V6 320 fairly soon after the W210 was introduced. I can't comment on that one.

Richie270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270CDI 2000, 612eng
Check the front subframe for severe corrosion too. Not easy to do without removing the front under skirt thing, but with a torch on checking under the radiator you should be able to see the spot welded flange seam, which on mine was no longer there!

OP
S

SteveGoodz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Well, it's off car hunting tomorrow. I've got several lined up to see both dealer and private and I'm taking a mate of mine who's a mechanic with me to give them the once over.

It's in his interest to make sure I get a good one as he'll be the one doing the remedial work :p

Anyone want to buy a 2000MY Discovery Td5?

Last edited:
Top Bottom