Am I a mug?

Glasseyefong

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 350 d 2018
On Monday and Tuesday last week, ASSIST told me I needed to fill up the AdBlue within 500 miles or the engine wouldn't start. Then the error message stopped. I phoned the local MB outlet for advice and to see if I could check the reservoir but was told it was not easily accessible, so being a cautious chap I took it in for a check. Bearing in mind that my car has only done 14000 miles and is still under warranty I was surprised and disappointed to be given a bill for £63 for labour and 10 litres of AdBlue (and a wash). So it still had 20 litres left and it was obviously a gremlin in ASSIST. As I only do about 7000 miles a year I will be very careful to make sure they don't charge me for this in the next service in 4 months time. I will ignore any non-persistent ASSIST messages in future.

Am I being too harsh on MB?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Not at all, no such thing as any goodwill these days

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
the "we'll give the car a wash" trick...

they gave me that rubbish when I booked my car in for the SBC....

I said if I wanted it washed, i'd do it a home & a better job off it ! lol :D

All a way of adding up the labour charge ( even if the labour rates don't include it ).

Lesson to be learnt here is to find the adblue container & keep an eye on it & the top it up yourself ( or however WIS says you need to ).

To be honest, for a bit of searching on the web, you can get yourself a FOC copy of EPC & WIS....

invaluable for these small issues :)

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
On Monday and Tuesday last week, ASSIST told me I needed to fill up the AdBlue within 500 miles or the engine wouldn't start. Then the error message stopped. I phoned the local MB outlet for advice and to see if I could check the reservoir but was told it was not easily accessible, so being a cautious chap I took it in for a check. Bearing in mind that my car has only done 14000 miles and is still under warranty I was surprised and disappointed to be given a bill for £63 for labour and 10 litres of AdBlue (and a wash). So it still had 20 litres left and it was obviously a gremlin in ASSIST. As I only do about 7000 miles a year I will be very careful to make sure they don't charge me for this in the next service in 4 months time. I will ignore any non-persistent ASSIST messages in future.

According to the Mercedes maintenance chart, the Adblue should be 'renewed' at each visit (so once a year). They are supposed to throw away the old and renew with fresh.

At my first visit, I asked about this, and was told that it looked as though there was enough, and to wait for it to run out. Maybe they are more pragmatic over here.

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Er... do all new diesel Mercs need Adblue?

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011

Just an after-thought: I gave the car a good clean-out the other day, and on lifting out the spare wheel, I found the mysterious Adblue tank hidden underneath it. Found the filler-cap, but didn't think to look if there was some sort of dip-stick. :Oops:

Last edited:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Anyone mind telling me what 'adblue' is ???

Never heard of it :rolleyes:

N

npuk

Collection only and if you dont have a local place see below.

£16.95 here with free delivery. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AdBlue-10...ltDomain_3&hash=item53f9153438#ht_3010wt_1399

But from watching that video are MB forcing you to buy their own one due to the connection they use? As no one else seems to have the type of bottles in the videos.

http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&keyword=adblue&page=shop.browse

Last edited by a moderator:

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Collection only and if you dont have a local place see below.

£16.95 here with free delivery. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AdBlue-10...ltDomain_3&hash=item53f9153438#ht_3010wt_1399

But from watching that video are MB forcing you to buy their own one due to the connection they use? As no one else seems to have the type of bottles in the videos.

http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&keyword=adblue&page=shop.browse

I think the "special connector" is just to avoid any nasty smells. :rolleyes:

I would imagine that if you're careful, you could just pour it in. (?)

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180 Kompressor Coupe (57 reg)
The active ingredient in adBlue is urea - found in human urine and more commonly used in farming as a fertilizer.

AdBlue is 40% urea/60% water.

Human urine is about 5% urea/95% water.

Are they literally taking the p**s?

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
The active ingredient in adBlue is urea - found in human urine and more commonly used in farming as a fertilizer.

AdBlue is 40% urea/60% water.

Human urine is about 5% urea/95% water.

Are they literally taking the p**s?

32.5 %, actually (if you want to try making your own ;) )

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Mercedes adblue is cheap enough (£11.69 inc vat for 10L), and a full tank usually last far beyond the expected time - fluid use is very dependent on the nature of journey the car does.

As above, the fluid has a shelf life (marked as 18 months on containers), and Mercedes are supposed to empty/refill rather than top it up.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom