Car is wobbling.

berg101

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 280 / 2008 / 3 Litre Petrol
Hi Guys

First timer on this site but I have been having trouble with my car for ages now and nobody can seem to sort and thought you guys may be able to shed some light on the issue.

I have a 2008 CLK 280 and I ****** love it. Recently however my car has been wobbling so much when I drive - I'll hit the throttle and the back end will wobble and it just feels so unstable and horrible to drive. Over the previous few months I've been pretty strapped for cash due to having to buy my partner out of the business and it's meant that instead of spending the usual £250/£300 on good tyres I've been spending about £70 on just budget tyres for the rear of the car. I've had several different tyres on the back (all either budget or part worn tyres) but nothing seems to do the trick. It's getting to the point now that I don't even want to drive the car - it's alright at slow speeds but get to about 50mph and over and it just wobbles like crazy.

I've been to the Merc garage and they said there is nothing visibly wrong with car and they've done all the appropriate checks etc.

If you guys could give me any advice it would be a huge huge help. I just want to be able to drive my car the way it's meant to be driven.

Look forward to your response.

Ben

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The car is a bit new to have sub frame problems unless there are some loose bolts holding it, a bolt may even be broken, this has been known to happen.

Brianooo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E300TD Avantgarde estate 1998
Have you had the front wheel balance checked? Or you could try swapping the wheels front to rear, then drive the car to see if the issue is resolved or changed. If the concern does change or resolve by swapping the wheels front to rear at least you will know the concern is related to the wheels rather them the vehicle its self.

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Hi Guys

First timer on this site but I have been having trouble with my car for ages now and nobody can seem to sort and thought you guys may be able to shed some light on the issue.

I have a 2008 CLK 280 and I ****** love it. Recently however my car has been wobbling so much when I drive - I'll hit the throttle and the back end will wobble and it just feels so unstable and horrible to drive. Over the previous few months I've been pretty strapped for cash due to having to buy my partner out of the business and it's meant that instead of spending the usual £250/£300 on good tyres I've been spending about £70 on just budget tyres for the rear of the car. I've had several different tyres on the back (all either budget or part worn tyres) but nothing seems to do the trick. It's getting to the point now that I don't even want to drive the car - it's alright at slow speeds but get to about 50mph and over and it just wobbles like crazy.

I've been to the Merc garage and they said there is nothing visibly wrong with car and they've done all the appropriate checks etc.

If you guys could give me any advice it would be a huge huge help. I just want to be able to drive my car the way it's meant to be driven.

Look forward to your response.

Ben

Badly balanced rear wheels - take it somewhere else than where they were fitted and sure you will find out that they are out. I had same problem, new tyres, took them back, said balance ok, away i went, problem remained. Took the car somewhere else and was re-balance, no problem - this was on a car i had years ago

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
My w124 gets part worn and these have various traits and failings.

Most obvious one that happens on my heavy old w124 is that they go out of round as they get close to the limit before they are changed. Odd weird wobble that you only notice after traveling in another car and this is mostly noticeable when moving off at a few mph when stuck in traffic.
Jack the car up and get the wheel just off the floor so it can turn,get a brick and put it across the tread just touching and then turn the wheel slowly and watch the gap between brick and tire alter.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I would agree with Malcolm, that age would rule against a sub-frame issue, but you never know.
If when travelling in a straight line the car wants to veer to one side when you accelerate and to the other when you remove your foot from the accelerator then that would normally indicate a rear sub-frame issue.

Tyres may be an issue here, but so too could broken springs (it's not uncommon for these to be missed as it's only the last few inches that brake off). Park on level ground and measure from the top of the wheel arch to the ground - it should be the same on each side.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Also remember when getting wheel alignment you need 4 wheel alignment
And it needs to be done right or by by tyres . I agree with what's been said but best bet is put front wheels on rear in case you have a buckled rim , costs nothing to check this .

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom