R230 Keyless Go - Upgrade?

Lowe712131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 / Aston Martin DB9 Volante
Hi - my 2003 SL55 has Keyless go but I have no key-card for it. Is there any way of upgrading the keyless go to the more modern, sliver key fob type? (i.e. no separate card required?). I've seen a couple of past threads on this but no definitive answer. Would the Keyless go module need replacing and new keys programming? I do have STAR but I'm guessing key programming might be more a main dealer or big indy job?
Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
From what we understand for Keyless go mercedes provide the first generation of chrome keys, the latest chrome key are too small to get the keyless part inside, so when you ask at the dealer, tell them that you want a key for the keyless go, and not a normal key.

As I understand things the cards are no longer supplied.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup
I can confirm that the cards are no longer available.
Been back today to MB, now got the service manager involved and he knows jack all, I don't think I will trust them with servicing, cant even get me a key :shock:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Been back today to MB, now got the service manager involved and he knows jack all, I don't think I will trust them with servicing, cant even get me a key :shock:

I spent ½ hour on the phone to the Exeter branch, I know them very well, I will ring him in the morning and ask about these keys.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I spent ½ hour on the phone to the Exeter branch, I know them very well, I will ring him in the morning and ask about these keys.

You are an absolute star young man, I cant wait to here what they tell you, Plymouth MB are a bunch of half wits :evil:

OP
L

Lowe712131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 / Aston Martin DB9 Volante
You're a gent Malcolm, thank you :D
Rang MB Derby this afternoon to order some parts (actually gave me a discount before I asked for it! Thanks Peter!) they said similar, but he did say they could get me a new key (black one, not chrome), for £230 ish (ouch) - if my keys can't be coded to the KG system, without the card. I thought the black keys weren't KG ready, but Peter said he has an 03 E Class with the same type of key and he just had that key coded to KG and it worked. I'll keep you all posted on findings
Cheers
Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is was black keyless go key supplied from late 03 to 06, when you get the key, the key must be placed in the car and plugged into STAR where the key can be activated, I did not know that this key was still supplied, I would have thought that the early version of the chrome Key would have been the one supplied these days, do let us know what you get.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Well,:Oops: I had a call from the service manager today, they have been I touch with Mercedes in Germany and spoke to a different person.

Now apparently the credit style keyless go cards ARE still available, still the same price so no refund, Germany said they will take the wrong supplied one back (very nice of them :rolleyes:) so now I am waiting for the card to turn up and I have to take the car back again to have it programed.

will keep you informed

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They should be £150 but good news :D:D still left with the question of the older larger chrome key, if they will not work, then I was right in saying that not possible to upgrade.

Make them program it all in for the £150

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I asked him the price and I got told they are all the same price £297 :confused:
How can the card, black or chrome key with or without keyless go cost the same.

perhaps I should phone Exeter MB and ask the price.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I asked him the price and I got told they are all the same price £297 :confused:
How can the card, black or chrome key with or without keyless go cost the same.

perhaps I should phone Exeter MB and ask the price.

I paid £150 from Exeter no more than 2 years back, I know the spares guys well and I will call in the morning and speak to them about it if you like..

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I paid £150 from Exeter no more than 2 years back, I know the spares guys well and I will call in the morning and speak to them about it if you like..

That would be great, thanks.

If I have already paid that money they can send me two :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The cards cost £163 now plus VAT

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are a star Malcolm, guess I will be speaking to Plymouth BM tomorrow :mad:

He started off by saying "I do not think they do them now" but I assured him this was not the case and there we are :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom