Numberplate Dilema

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
Hi guys I have just received my numberplates that I ordered yesterday but there is a problem. I have a screw set with them but there doesn't appear to be any holes in the numberplate to insert the screws through and there is also no instructions on how to assemble the screws thus enabling me to fit the numberplates.

What on earth should I do? Surely I am not expected to drill holes into my numberplate?

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
The normal method to drill them is use the old ones as templates for the holes ---or stick them on with double sided backing tape if you do not want holes in them ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You either buy the holders for the plates or you use the sticky pads, please note that for the rear on if you car has stand off pillars you need the pads 4 to 6 mm thick. If you buy the holders, these fit the holes already there, and the number plate clips in.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
The normal method to drill them is use the old ones as templates for the holes ---or stick them on with double sided backing tape if you do not want holes in them ?

Hello and thank you for your reply. I assumed that they would provide the plates with the holes already drilled into them but looks like I was wrong.
So I may now try and acquire some sticky pads/tape in order to fit my plates. Where can I get some? Will I have to contact the company that provided me with the plates in order to get some or can I pick some up at Halfords?

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
As Malcolm says above, you can buy Holders for them, get Sticky Pads or just drill them as per your original ones.

I went with the holders on mine. I have a spare set you can have if you want to pay the postage, though probably cheaper off the bay by the time the Post Office have finished with their charges.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
As Malcolm says above, you can buy Holders for them, get Sticky Pads or just drill them as per your original ones.

I went with the holders on mine. I have a spare set you can have if you want to pay the postage, though probably cheaper off the bay by the time the Post Office have finished with their charges.

Hello, they have sent me 6 little holders I believe. 2 are yellow, 2 are white and 2 are black, there was 5 nails with these. Are these holders?

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
You either buy the holders for the plates or you use the sticky pads, please note that for the rear on if you car has stand off pillars you need the pads 4 to 6 mm thick. If you buy the holders, these fit the holes already there, and the number plate clips in.

What are stand off pillars?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are stand off pillars, not holders

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
On you boot lid there will be little round things fixed to the boot lid where the screws go into.

:shock: This is getting confusing! I will take it to my local car shop and see if they can fit them for me, I will pay for sticky pads and fitting charges.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Silly you, you forget to order the holes.

I think they sell them on ebay.

Very sarcastic :D

Seriously though what was this company thinking sending me plates with no holes for my screws to go through??? I mean what on earth do they expect their customers to do? We can hardly take out a Black and Decker and start drilling into a numberplate without cracking and destroying the quality of the material it is printed on. Or am I missing something here???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very sarcastic :D

Seriously though what was this company thinking sending me plates with no holes for my screws to go through??? I mean what on earth do they expect their customers to do? We can hardly take out a Black and Decker and start drilling into a numberplate without cracking and destroying the quality of the material it is printed on. Or am I missing something here???

Ignore his remarks :D Number plates cannot be sent out drilled as not all people want to use screws to hold them on plus very few cars have the holes in the same place.

I for one will never use screws, they make the number plate harder to wipe clean.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-2x-Bl...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19e12fadef

6mm thick sticky pads holding this rear one on

This one has a holder as the link

A holder in chrome

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
This entire post has to be a wind up

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
Duh.

The poster is a wind up.

And the same people fall for it time & again. Never mind, it's amusing to watch.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
love this thread made me giggle.

go for plate holders and the hole drilling holes thing goes away and i find them better than sticky pads HTH

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
This entire post has to be a wind up

No not at all. Tell me how I can fit my new numberplates then without taking a drill to it and creating uneven holes or damaging the plastic surface of the numberplate.:neutral:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
No not at all. Tell me how I can fit my new numberplates then without taking a drill to it and creating uneven holes or damaging the plastic surface of the numberplate.:neutral:

How many times .....

USE A FRAME OR STICKY PADS!!!!

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom