Red battery visit workshop message

kalsingh1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
Hello all

I bought a mercedes SL500 R230 2002 about six months ago with a red visit workshop message. It was checked at time do sale by WDM in Birmingham with the stars system, and was advised it was not a serous issue and to carry on with the purchase.

To date I have replaced both batteries from Merc. Red message still there after reset. Code pointed to K57 battery relay. Replace with new relay yesterday from Merc. Havnt been for reset yet but red message still there.
I am a bit confused now, car seems to be working properly, I am just fed up of seeing this red message.
Can anyone help please and tell me what to do next to switch this message off. Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the batteries have been disconnected its important to re connect in the right order, starter battery first, then the rear one. Doing it the wrong way can put the lamp on (not every time)

OP
K

kalsingh1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
The starter battery was the first one to be replaced and then the battery in the boot 4 weeks later.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The starter battery was the first one to be replaced and then the battery in the boot 4 weeks later.

It is the order in which you connect them that matters. if you remove the front one and you did, the rear one should have been disconnected first.

So do try this now, disconnect both batteries, then join up the front starter battery, then join up the rear one.

You will have to reset the windows and the ESP lamp will go away as you drive.

OP
K

kalsingh1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
Thanks I will try that and report back. Silly question how do I reset the windows?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Turn the ignition on, raise each window in turn on the slow lift (switch not fully pressed) and hold the switch for 4 seconds once closed.

OP
K

kalsingh1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
Ok tried that. The light went off for a while and didn't come on for several starts. When I left the car parked for a while the red message came back up.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then it looks as thought the N82/1 battery inverter module has failed.

OP
K

kalsingh1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
Is that a expensive item.

Where do I find it and is it just a straight swap ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It sits just behind the far end of the main battery in the trunk, it fails on a similar system in the 211 much more than on the 230, it could be damaged being left so long with the batteries incorrectly joined up.

It could be worth putting the car on STAR to double check, it is CAN operated.

Price I do not know, but nothing is cheap on these cars, it should be just plug and play as it should come coded to your car from the factory.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Excellent Malcolm..
Damned good to have you back.:)

OP
K

kalsingh1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
UPDATE.
Convinced now that it must be the Battery Control Module, took it to a local garage who is good with electrics. They just happened to have a spare BCM and swapped to try. The red battery warning message went away. They put the old one back and left the car for 30 mins and the message came back. They rang me to collect car in morning and they would check for battery drain over night. In the morning they started car and the red message disappeared and they reported no battery drain. Been driving for a few days and all is well. To think I was about to but another used Battery Control Module for £250.
What the hell is going on here?

OP
K

kalsingh1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
Guess what, after a good few days the red warning battery message is back on. Can anybody with experience advice please.

OP
K

kalsingh1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
Just to update this old thread. I ordered a used BCM module from the USA with an updated part number. The problem is solved.

r129MAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500-2004
Red battery warning message.

Hi, had a similar problem with my SL500, had to have 2 off relays replaced as noted below.

Hi All - as promised update on my problem. Got car back from Pentangle MB yesterday all fixed. Issue was with K57 & K75 relays, both replaced, red warning on dash display gone & malfunction all cleared. Hope that is last problem for my car for while, now going to enjoy driving it in the sunshine. Again thanks to all for replies & advice.

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Hi, had a similar problem with my SL500, had to have 2 off relays replaced as noted below.

Hi All - as promised update on my problem. Got car back from Pentangle MB yesterday all fixed. Issue was with K57 & K75 relays, both replaced, red warning on dash display gone & malfunction all cleared. Hope that is last problem for my car for while, now going to enjoy driving it in the sunshine. Again thanks to all for replies & advice.

Hi, .Same problem

Can I ask how much the relays were and if they were a DIY job.

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to update this old thread. I ordered a used BCM module from the USA with an updated part number. The problem is solved.

Hi,

There seem to be a lot of these on e-bay. Did the module need to be coded to the car or was it just a swap

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Solved my Battery light

Hi,
Just had mine checked by Clive at Benzworks. Diagnosis was consumer battery.

Bought a new one from Mercedes £78 inc VAT.

Swapped it over and the light was still there so I then disconnected both battery negative cables, left it for a few minutes and reconnected (big battery in the boot first).

All OK now and it didn't even lose the settings on the radio or seat memory.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom