renrutp76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
X218/2014/CLS250CDI_W211/2005/E500 Avantgarde
Just got my car back after 5 weeks! The reason it went in was that I snapped a glow plug. Rather than drilling and pulling out, I opted to have the head removed. My reasons for this were:-

1. Paranoia (not wanting to drill through a coolant channel)
2. To see what state the internals were in (car has done 230,000)
3. To clean and modify the inlet manifold.

Prior to the work being started, the car would be difficult to start, and would also cut out on EPC if I was a bit too heavy footed, I could also smell the fumes passing the plug.

Now, car wont restart first time when warm (2nd/3rd time it fires). I can also smell exhaust fumes in cabin. Car is going back in on Tuesday, any ideas anyone?

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Injector failing or fuel pipe seals.

OP
renrutp76

renrutp76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Richard,

All fuel line seals replaced while head was off. Injector is a possibility, but starts fine when cold, and runs ok when hot, just won't start if hot. I was more concerned about the fumes, I have blanked off the air intake with cardboard so the heater only draws from the cabin. One suggestion is that the timing chain has stretched , and inlet valves are slightly open on the combustion stroke.

Does this sound plausible?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
EPC with heavy foot usually points to injector leaking off excessively, possibly creating more of a hot start issue as the fuel will be warmer and therefore thinner and flow through the leak-off system easier than when cold, hence taking a couple of attempts for the fuel to get to the right pressure when on a hot start but no issue when cold

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interesting one on the chain, 230,000 miles is some mileage in 4 years.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Interesting one on the chain, 230,000 miles is some mileage in 4 years.

If his profile is correct its a 2002, Malcolm, so 12 years old and thus normal annual avg miles.

Fumes must indicate that something somewhere is leaking. Are the plugs fitted correctly.

OP
renrutp76

renrutp76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all for your replies. Cold start this morning was fine as usual, but rather than go to work, I had a doctors appointment, which involves a 1/4 mile steep climb. as I accelerated up the hill the car had no power, and was surging, classic torque converter failure. Doctors appointment over, car had cooled sufficiently (good old NHS). Got it home, and decided to check ATF level, before I took it back to the garage for them to take a look. with ATF temp at 79'C the ATF level was on the minimum mark for 20'C scale :-o. Topped the level back up, and just as I shut the garage door, the engine stopped. I got back to the open bonnet just in time to see the fuel heading back to the filter. lots of cranking and fuel lines still wouldn't fill. After 5 mins of checking everything was tight, I noticed the filter to LP pump plastic hose was trapped by the HP pump discharge line and had been squashed. I rerouted the line and reshaped, but still couldn't get it to draw fuel. Had too much to do so had to leave it there. Mechanic coming out tomorrow!!!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom