Smoking illegal in your car with under-18-year-old "Children" inside?!!

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDi Avantgarde Estate 2002
Hello members.

This law will come into force in October: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31310685

It gets my back up because there is no such being as a "child" who is over 16 years of age, because they are classified as independent adults under UK law, so they are then able to legally turn gay, die of alcohol poisoning, leave home, report their parents to the police and social care services if they try to restrict or discipline them, have sex with anyone they like of similar or greater age whether their parents like it or not, and other ridiculous "freedoms". They are not children by any stretch of the imagination, except to silly people living in the last century.

If these "children" do object to smoking then they are also able to ask the other occupants not to smoke, of their own accord, and can even insist to get out of the car and find their own way if the smokers do not co-operate.

I totally agree for the enforcement when real children, i.e. 15 years old or less (but even 13 is border-line in real life), are in the car since they may not be able to persuade their parents or fellow-passengers to not smoke in the car, but again it gets my wick that any law should be necessary for us to fall foul of it unintentionally when any young adult of 16-18 is in the car, when only daft irresponsible parents would in fact continue to smoke these days with their or anyone else's kids in the car.

I feel very angry about this and I really want to start or get involved in a national petition to reduce the age to under-16s, not under-18s.

After all the kids also consider themselves not to be subject to any governance at that age and able to speak their own minds - ask your own if you don't believe me.

Consider the next ridiculous law which is sure to follow:- there are many complaints already about smoking in our own cars because of the few accidents caused by people fumbling for dropped cigarettes.

Once this one becomes law, how long will the global ban on smoking in our own car at all take?

Have you noticed that there are already surreptitious bans on smoking in many open areas?

Those crept up on us too.

We smokers are being harassed and persecuted more and more. I don't want to stop anyone else from smoking, it is their right if they want to risk dying in that way. I am only a casual pipe and cigar smoker myself so I can do without for long periods, but I resent these increasing nonsensical controls a lot and I am prepared to defend the rights of "real" smokers who feel they can't complete a car journey without a fag, no matter how ridiculous this may seem to the rest of us.

They should be free to smoke in their own car if the other occupants have no objection and if they are 16 or over.

No passenger will smoke in a car whose driver asks them not to. (Wifeys and hubbies excepted of course).

It's another human right removed from a diminishing minority of the UK population, and we are losing yet another unique British principle on which this nation was built: "I may disagree with you, but I will fight for your right to maintain your freedom to do so".

As long as I want to only?

The politicians have other motives. We voted for them yes (maybe) but now the 400 can do what they please without consulting us? That is not democracy, it is Oligarchy - the rule of the many by a few. Just like a dictatorship. Or the hated Communism.

Today it's one of my freedoms which is being taken away, if this is allowed to be enforced on top of the other anti-smoker harassments, then more will follow until one or more of your own freedoms which you may not realise you have are taken away too. Look back on what has already happened.

It's already bad enough that my pipe won't fit into the stupidly small ashtray on my S Type. This is the last straw!

Your opinions are welcome.

If you agree with me then what is our option to rally support to reduce the age of these hypothetical and non-existent "children" at least to under-16s?

Thanks

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 Jag XJ 3.2 , 2x Alfa spiders, 1X Alfa GTV V6 3.0.
I think to smoke with anybody else in the car who doesn't smoke, is extremely bad manners. I am all for protecting non smoking passengers from passive smoking be they 6 or 60.
I for one, would not want to have freshly laundered clothes on, whilst the driver puffs away and then get out stinking like an ashtray.

Last edited:
OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am the same.

If someone in the car doesn't want us to smoke we already know and do not.

But do you think it is right to enforce it on others?

By force, with a law, just because you happen to not agree?

That is so wrong.

Last edited:

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Partly, yes. Many people unlike yourself, have no consideration at all, and will puff away. 16 or 18 is really immaterial, and that is probably the bench mark they have set. I'm not sure that smokers need to take up arms, over a couple of years age difference. Law enforcement is probably the only way to protect youngsters from the prolific puffing of their Peers.
I remember my Father wouldn't be seen without his pipe. My mother eventually only let him smoke it in the downstairs bog, which no body else used!!:D He then fully gave up.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I read you post and bit my lip and started again,
turn gay ?
the list of "ridiculous freedoms"

The concept that a 16 year old child with a dominating parent will have any choice.

Sit on your own in the car smoke till your eyes water feel free but for just one moment stand aside and realise that people are dying horrible deaths from smoking and anything that curbs its deathly grasp should be welcomed.

I can only think the nicotine has addled your brain.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Why do people insist on making the younger generation grow up so quickly? Why can't we allow children to be children.

At the end of the day the law will be anyone under 18 (and the article classes them as young people).

Frankly, as mentioned above, anyone who smokes around any person that doesn't is bad mannered and inconsiderate of others. Smokers choose to poison themselves. I certainly don't want to be poisoned by passive smoke.

In my circle of friends in work I am one of only 2 people that don't smoke. None of my smoking friends smoke around me or the other non-smoker. If we are together and say stood in a pub garden/outdoor smoking area they will let us know they are about to 'spark up'.

I have nothing against any smoker. It's their money, body and choice. As long as they take into consideration that it's my money, body and choice not to smoke and act in a courteous manner then everyone remains happy.

Just another indication of the selfish attitude of society these days that laws are having to be brought in to protect people from passive smoking.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
The problem in my opinion is that the smokes gets into the fabric of the car and passengers can be affected by it even if the other occupants arn't smoking. Isnt this the reason its illegal to smoke in a company vehicle.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
The problem in my opinion is that the smokes gets into the fabric of the car and passengers can be affected by it even if the other occupants arn't smoking. Isnt this the reason its illegal to smoke in a company vehicle.

Probably more to do with resale afterwards. I've walked away from otherwise immaculate second hand cars due to smelling of smoke.

Even steam cleaning the whole interior doesn't rid the smell. You can mask it temporarily but to rid completely you'd need to replace all the seat cushions, covers, carpets, headlining and any door panels with fabric/leather on.

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Yes. When we have gone to buy a car, the 1st thing my wife will do is smell if it's been smoked in. Doesn't matter how much Febreze is used, it'll never hide it. Smoking in any car will devalue it immensely.

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
I think to smoke with anybody else in the car who doesn't smoke, is extremely bad manners.
I agree with this even though I am a heavy smoker.

I never smoke in the car partly for that reason but also because I know it's dangerous and because I want to preserve its resale value (non-smoking prospective purchasers can spot a smoked-in car from about five miles).

Jim is right that a total ban on smoking in cars is only a matter of time and actually I think it's pretty sensible.

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

No it's because it affects the resale value because they are sold within 3 years, and the company will be charged for additional deterioration and valeting etc.

Guys and gals, please read my post more carefully and reply more intelligently instead of launching an attack.

It is about peoples' freedoms and smokers have already been ostracised completely from all workplaces as well as public buildings, restaurants etc.

We all agree that smoking is bad for all of us. We have given in considerably already, remember that.

But it is here until we all die off. Be sure we will be replaced by drug-smokers, and those are your children who already don't give a toss about what you their parents think.

If you recall many companies allowed a smoking room and that was great, then those rooms were banned too and smokers didn't stand up very strongly against that either, since the majority of us are ordinary people and being understanding of the wishes of others as you mention here.

Now you are already banning us from smoking in certain streets, and in the open air in certain areas - and now in our own cars?

No, you have gone too far, we do need to take a stand before there is a total ban on smoking in our cars irrespective of time of day or of whether alone or with all-consenting adults.

Last edited:

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not so long back, I was asked to handle the sale of a 55 plate Toyota Yaris that had been driven by an old guy who smoked like a chimney. It absolutely reeked inside. Knowing that this car may appeal to younger women etc, I attempted to use Febreze to mask the smell. D'you know, after 3 whole cans sprayed in there day after day for a few days, the flamin thing still stunk! I did sell the car, but not for what it could have attained had it not been smoked in.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Freedom its a simple concept and not an invidious burden on society.

To let our children grow up with a clear set of lungs and good health we accept minor curbs on our freedoms, most take that modest burden with good grace.

I do hope I never ever lose the willingness to do that.

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You certainly have the right to make whatever stand/protest that you like, unfortunately all it will be...is a protest. I haven't seen anybody rush to join arms with you yet, which may send a message.
Someone in the st, scuffed my wifes clothes with a fag and scorched it. Yes goodbye smokers.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Not so long back, I was asked to handle the sale of a 55 plate Toyota Yaris that had been driven by an old guy who smoked like a chimney. It absolutely reeked inside. Knowing that this car may appeal to younger women etc, I attempted to use Febreze to mask the smell. D'you know, after 3 whole cans sprayed in there day after day for a few days, the flamin thing still stunk! I did sell the car, but not for what it could have attained had it not been smoked in.

As I mentioned above. The only way to rid it is to completely replace the interior. I've had people bring cars to me to detail and ask if I can rid the smoke smell. It's saddening sometimes to see the disappointment when I say it can't be got rid of. :(

I only ever once bought a secondhand car that belonged to a smoker. I coped for 3wks then sold it when I was asked when I'd started smoking. My clothes stank of smoke after long journeys.

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is not a minor curb, believe me. We now expect to be allowed to smoke in our cars and in open spaces - that latter is already being removed. Enough is enough.

Stand by your boasts of your "willingness" to support others' freedoms now, apply it unilaterally and fairly, look after all minorities without trying to eradicate them or their habits, not just where you are afraid of being accused of racism, bigotry or misogeny etc, because by continuing to submit to everything that is thrown at you in due course you too will be affected and will realise the true situation that your life is no longer your own to choose to be good and understanding to others, but under continual threat of penalties.

Right now the smokers are those others. They should be given the right to go into the street or a park or their garden or a field and smoke until they die. Foxes and badgers have a right to live their lives. So do smokers.

All we should ask is that they pick up their fag-ends and not blow on others. Their cars are their cars and their domain. No law is justified here.

Last edited:

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
You really are taking this to much to heart. God help you if they classify smoking as drug use! After all that's what it is. A nicotine addiction.

The solution is don't smoke. Simples.

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You certainly have the right to make whatever stand/protest that you like, unfortunately all it will be...is a protest. I haven't seen anybody rush to join arms with you yet, which may send a message.

True, it's a done deal.

But 16-18 year olds are not children, they are adults by law.

The point is I and all smokers will support smoking bans where sub-16s are inside and idiots continue to smoke without consideration, but those are few.

Think of road humps and how you in truth would prefer for the 20 or so idiot speeders per year in each area to be slapped round the head and fined £1000 a time, instead of everyone suffering damage to spoilers and suspension.

Someone in the st, scuffed my wifes clothes with a fag and scorched it. Yes goodbye smokers.

So you hate all smokers? ;)

Well, I hate all people who chew gum because one idiot spat one out. Same analogy. Or to execute all men because one killed 10 people.

Heheh, keep 'em coming, we need some humour even through this topic. :)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom