Downloading Routes to Comand.

W1Z

Reaction score
The Comand online Nav units allow you to navigate a pre-planned and saved route. This is a great feature if you go on motoring holidays because most people never want to take the shortest or quickest route, but rather a pre-planned scenic one, with perhaps some interesting stops along the way.

Google maps used to allow you to plan a route and send it to the car (albeit someone complicated to do) but the new Google maps has dropped this feature and you can now only send a single waypoint, so no more routing :(.

Anyway, I really wanted to be able to do this as having well-planned routes all preloaded into your car before you set off on holiday really makes for a relaxing time. So, having given up on Google, I've written a small program which converts a .gpx file (currently tested with Garmin format) into a Mercedes Comad formatted .gpx file.

Basically, this allows you to pre-plan your route in Mapsource or Basecamp (a Garmin mapping program which is pretty easily found on the net) then convert the file into one you can save to your SD card, pop it into your Comand Nav unit and hey-presto, the Comand unit then let's you navigate the precise route you created on your PC, so you can pre-plan all your routes before you go :D.

It's at V 1.0 stage, which means it'll only convert a single route at a time (the next version with convert gpx files with multiple routes in) so if this means something to anyone and they'd like a copy just message me and I'll send you one.

Last edited:

ppat25

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200/2012
The Comand online Nav units allow you to navigate a pre-planned and saved route. This is a great feature if you go on motoring holidays because most people never want to take the shortest or quickest route, but rather a pre-planned scenic one, with perhaps some interesting stops along the way.

Google maps used to allow you to plan a route and send it to the car (albeit someone complicated to do) but the new Google maps has dropped this feature and you can now only send a single waypoint, so no more routing :(.

Anyway, I really wanted to be able to do this as having well-planned routes all preloaded into your car before you set off on holiday really makes for a relaxing time. So, having given up on Google, I've written a small program which converts a .gpx file (currently tested with Garmin format) into a Mercedes Comad formatted .gpx file.

Basically, this allows you to pre-plan your route in Mapsource or Basecamp (a Garmin mapping program which is pretty easily found on the net) then convert the file into one you can save to your SD card, pop it into your Comand Nav unit and hey-presto, the Comand unit then let's you navigate the precise route you created on your PC, so you can pre-plan all your routes before you go :D.

It's at V 1.0 stage, which means it'll only convert a single route at a time (the next version with convert gpx files with multiple routes in) so if this means something to anyone and they'd like a copy just message me and I'll send you one.
Hi M1Z,

I'm really impressed by your work. I am facing the same problem, I am not able to export the route from Google Maps to my Command Line. I own C-200 2012, but I am not sure about the command line model number. Please can you send me the guidelines / app that you have developed to upload the route into the car system? I stay in Australia, by the way. Thanks in Advance.

Prakash

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi M1Z,

I'm really impressed by your work. I am facing the same problem, I am not able to export the route from Google Maps to my Command Line. I own C-200 2012, but I am not sure about the command line model number. Please can you send me the guidelines / app that you have developed to upload the route into the car system? I stay in Australia, by the way. Thanks in Advance.

Prakash

Have you got a cold ?

Jac Zwart

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 / 2013
Hi W1Z,

I am new to this forum. Where can I find your program? I would love to be able to use my Basecamp-created routes in my R231 (SL 500).

Greetings,
Jac

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom