Security issues

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CL600 / 2007 / 5.5 litre
After issue after issue I'm now wondering whether my CL600 is one of those bad luck cars. With the ongoing issue of the leaking roof, this morning I was presented with the latest issue.

As I went out to my car I noticed the door locks were up, and then as I looked inside there were receipts all over the floor, and the elbow rest compartment was open. Someone had broken into my car, luckily there was nothing of value left in the car, and it appears nothing was taken.

I know I locked the car yesterday evening. I know I did the OCD extra lock of it when I went to bed. And today I've done a test of the delayed self lock the car does itself if you fail to lock it, and it works, probably lying the car about 20 seconds after closing the door.

So it looks like someone out there either has something to block the locking signal, or maybe something that can clone the code from the key to the car. Has anyone come across this in the past? I now wonder if they may have been disturbed and left in haste, and could return with their widget, and if it's cable of starting the engine then it could be the next time. Right now there's no then I can do about it, but thought I'd ask if anyone out there is aware of these things?

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the self lock only works if no door has been opened IIRC.

is it possible that you have thought it was locked when it wasnt, then locked it at bedtime thinking it was an OCD thing when it was actually THAT locking that locked the car?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
sorry to say new to me but I would not be surprised at all to hear there are such things as you mention....

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
its not a new thing to have these electronic boxes that can grab codes or block doors from being locked. its a first for me on MBs though

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
sorry yes, Pete that's what I meant, not on MB's...

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
What about one of these on the steering wheel for peace of mind

Alarm Padlocks and Security Alarms

Alarm Padlock

XL505 Alarm Padlock

XL507 Multi-Purpose Alarm Padlock

XL902 Heavy Duty Alarm Padlock

XL802 Alarm Disc Lock

XL101 Thin Shackle Alarm Padlock

XL202 Alarm Bicycle Lock

XL303 Alarm U Lock

XL707 Alarm Cable Lock

XL808 High Security Alarm Disc Lock

XL505LS Long Shackle Alarm Padlock

XL505KA Keyed Alike Alarm Padlocks

XL902KA Keyed Alike Heavy Duty Padlocks

XL505CH Alarm Padlock + Chain

XL902CH Heavy Duty Padlock + Chain

CH80HS Heavy Duty 80cm Chain

XL802CH Disc Lock + Chain

CH802 High Security Disc Lock Chain

XL505D Motorcycle Disc Alarm Padlock

TXL404 Mobile Alert Alarm Padlocks

High Security Alarmed Padlock

This lock can be used as an ordinary padlock unarmed or armed by simply taking out the shackle and inserting it back into the lock the other way round. When the lock is armed, a single beep will be heard.

Once armed it has a unique program that controls the sensitivity, this is very important, as you don’t want it going off all the time when its windy. Kabrus locks are designed with a unique microchip that controls the sensitivity, there are similar looking products on the market but none that have this technology built in. The lock has three sensitivity levels LOW-MED-HIGH

This heavy duty innovative padlock is a high security multi-purpose locking device with a built-in tamper-proof ALARM SYSTEM. Its uses range far and wide, and the most popular applications seem to be:

• Manufacturing Plants
• Shipping Container
• Jewellery Shop
• Art & Antiques Shop
• Retails Shops
• Warehouse Security • Hotels
• Banks
• Prisons
• Used with High Security CHAINS
• Secure Roller Shutters

The lock is designed to ensure minimum exposure to the hardened shackle. A high security alternative to the standard steel padlocks. Enlarged walls protect the lock from force and saw attacks. The hardened casing and mechanism also make it highly resilient to all types of weather.

Live chat by BoldChat
Live chat by BoldChat

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the self lock only works if no door has been opened IIRC.

is it possible that you have thought it was locked when it wasnt, then locked it at bedtime thinking it was an OCD thing when it was actually THAT locking that locked the car?

So you think if I've opened the door, got out the car, closed the door, then the self lock doesn't work? Interesting. I'll give that a try in the morning. After a bit of reading in the Internet, it seems there's all sorts out there to block, duplicate, dummy, the codes from our keys.

I've now taken the Go button out of the car, and the spare and regular keys are now wrapped in tinfoil to block any attempts to capture their codes. I think a wheel lock or an extra independent alarm might be next. Or maybe a CCTV camera.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Bad luck chap. It's horrid when one's space gets violated by thieving scum!

If it's any consolation, I'd doubt proff. tea leafs would be looking to steal it.
If they had the means to gain entry and start it with their 'gizmo', they'd surely be looking at newer cars?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
So you think if I've opened the door, got out the car, closed the door, then the self lock doesn't work? Interesting. I'll give that a try in the morning. After a bit of reading in the Internet, it seems there's all sorts out there to block, duplicate, dummy, the codes from our keys.

I've now taken the Go button out of the car, and the spare and regular keys are now wrapped in tinfoil to block any attempts to capture their codes. I think a wheel lock or an extra independent alarm might be next. Or maybe a CCTV camera.

yip, thinking on the self locking feature, normally it's to relock the doors if it's been unlocked and no door opened within a time period- maybe 1 or 2 minutes, not sure exactly

dozypillock

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Elegance 2002 C209
Mine will only self lock if it has been unlocked by the remote, and nothing opened. Takes about a minute.
It also self locks once moving above about 4 mph.
Pretty certain it will not lock itself under any other circumstances as it would be too easy to lock the keys in?

Neil

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Yes mine will only self lock if unlocked and no doors opened but not sure of the time delay.
Of course it does self lock when driven.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is one thing that can happen on these cars, the doors have opening and closing motors. It is possible that you locked the car and the passenger door opened in the process. Mine had a spell of doing that.

I would lock the car and walk away, come back to find the passenger door ajar.

I always check now.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's how my CL operates. It will not self lock under any other circumstances apart from the 4 mph lock.

my 203 was the same. and i believe the Mondeo will also self lock (not tried it) if unlocked and nothing opened within a certain time

antigon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Coupe/2014/E250 CDI
If this is a key blocker issue, I had this on my BMW last Christmas. I was parked on a square in central London for lunch after doing a lot of christmas shopping almost filling the whole boot, whilst paying by phone for parking a guy came up to me and said to move my car closer to curb as he got a ticket there previously. I unlocked car, moved it and pressed to lock and walked off to lunch. When I came back, opened the boot and it was completely empty.

I realised the guys who came up to speak to me must have got me to switch the car on again so that they could block the signal once I locked it again, and the car ended up being unlocked.

The police had no results on this.

I contacted BMW and they did a software update that reprogrammed the car so you could not stick a blank key in and switch the car on to steal it, but they said they couldn't do anything about the signal blocking. They said as long as it is locked for at least 2-3 seconds, there is no way of then unlocking the car without the key. Therefore they said to lock and pull the handle to make sure it's locked, then you should be safe.

Never heard of this affecting Mercedes though...

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would lock the car and walk away, come back to find the passenger door ajar.

I always check now.

I always make sure the indicators flashed three times, telling me the doors are all locked.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I always make sure the indicators flashed three times, telling me the doors are all locked.

This does work on the CL but the door can open seconds afterwards, it is the only car that I know of that has electric motor to open the doors

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom