Cold Start Problems

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180 Kompressor Coupe (57 reg)
Hi All

Playing whack-a-rat with problems on the old jalopy.

Now we've cured the blocked cat it goes like stink.:D but the next niggle to pop up is reluctant starting in the morning.

Usually it starts first time, except when left overnight. It fires up, dies, and then takes a fair bit of cranking before bursting into life. After that it will keep going fine and start first time all day. This morning (-3C) I thought I was going to kill the battery.

The obvious culprit is air in the fuel line from knackered O rings on the plastic pipes (I'll check that tonight) but I read somewhere that some W203 cars had a pump in the fuel tank that runs from Position 2 on the ignition. If this is the case, should I be able to hear it, and how could I check that mine is a car with a pump? Apparently it is if the oil filler cap is nearer the windscreen than the radiator? (mine is).

We'll get to the speed-dependent "wub, wub, wub" noise from the offside rear (that according to my Indy isn't a bearing) later!

All advice, speculation etc welcome.

Last edited:

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
have you checked the glow plugs for operation ? it does read like a fuel issue ? i presume it doesnt belch smoke out when it does finaly burst into life ??

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Im no expert but I had trouble with my old C270 W203. In the end I replaced the plastic fuel lines on top of the engine that had gone hard and brittle, new pipes from MB not too bad a price and job sorted no more problems.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the wub wub wub noise is probably the parking brake cable clips broken and the cable rubbing on the propshaft

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL203 C220 CDI SE Sports Coupe. 2002.
Rolfy, sounds like you may need to run some injector cleaner through.
My coupe is going to get some next week in the hope it cures her issues. I intend to use this http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/shop-by-brand/archoil/fuel-treatment-cleaners/archoil-ar6400-d-pro-diesel-cleaner-pea-concentrate-639.html, Or Millers is highly regarded by some members here.

Don't forget to ensure the air cleaner is not clogged as it badly affects running, I know from experience.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted quickly

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
I believe 2002 model has no fuel pump in tank but 'draw' aux pump in front of the engine. Like you suspected, probably air in fuel (o-rings, you may see bubbles in clear lines), filter rubber lines or filter housing (if this model had not metal covered filter), or excessive tank leak of injectors, or worn hp pump. Pressure regulator and its o-rings worth to check too.

As it is temperature related first thing is change o-rings and perhaps whole return fuel lines. Next I would go first direction of injectors and after that hp-pump.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Usually it starts first time, except when left overnight. It fires up, dies, and then takes a fair bit of cranking before bursting into life. After that it will keep going fine and start first time all day. This morning (-3C) I thought I was going to kill the battery.

The obvious culprit is air in the fuel line from knackered O rings on the plastic pipes.

Exactly that, the o rings perish in time and allow air into the fuel lines when the engine is stone cold, usually overnight, made even worse if rhe vehicle is parked nose up.

Once the air is cranked through the engine will start and run ok for the rest of the day. Mercedes should have put out a service bulletin on the renewal of these pipes as they deteriorate with age, but as it is the whole world has to find out the hard way, you could fill a book on the discussion of this one topic

OP
rolfy

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all

Bembo - no- starts as normal when it eventually fires up.

Denchen/Malcolm - was too late to check last night but will have a proper look before starting the car tomorrow. I'll be surprised if I don't see air in the fuel lines and will just replace the whole lot from the filter forward.

mersum1es - I think you're right mate - starting it this morning I left the ignition at 2 for about 20 seconds before turning the engine over. Could hear a faint hum from the front of the car over the click-click-click of the broken heater flap actuator (more on that later!). Bingo! Started first time - and no battery-draining cranking.

turbopete - thanks for that tip - I'll check that tomorrow.

Dogfish - Hope yours responds to the injector cleaner - mine's probably due something similar and is definitely overdue for an air-filter change after payday - another job for the weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone.

OP
rolfy

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the wub wub wub noise is probably the parking brake cable clips broken and the cable rubbing on the propshaft

Pete - a quick question - will the cable be fouling the half-shaft near the wheel or the main prop shaft?

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Pete - a quick question - will the cable be fouling the half-shaft near the wheel or the main prop shaft?

Main propshaft the clips break in the middle of the car above the propshaft.

Alfie;)

jon baker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 estate 2003 diesel
Just a thought but on my c220 as well as the rubber washers in fuel pipes being worn i also found the little tiny rubber rings in the leak-off connections (on top of the injectors) were also in need of replacing.Maybe worth checking these as well?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom