Hollow whine at 45mph

ABLDR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 906 2008 311
Hi guys.

This one is really bugging me.

Got a 2006 56 plate 315cdi Sprinter. 240000 Miles

Parts replaced on this car, well it's basically a new van if i am honest!!

It's had:-

2 NEW, not second hand, not refurbs, NEW engines, both from the main dealer
New gearbox (Main dealer)
New Alternator (Main dealer)
4 new injectors (Main dealer)
DPF (Main dealer)
Cat (Main dealer)
Propshaft (rebuilt..All new UJ's and both bearings)
EGR (Aftermarket)
Viscous
Air con pump
Rear half shafts
etc etc etc

So as you can see, we do not skrimp and scrap on it.

However, over the past 2-3 weeks it has developed this funny whine and only at certain speeds and regardless of accelerating or de accelerating. In fact when the noise comes we can turn the engine off and coast and the noise is still there.

When the vehicle is cold the noise starts at 20mph and stops at 35ish mph
As the car warms up the noise then starts at 45 mph and stops at 55mph. If you go above these speeds the noise stops. I thought maybe it was the wind whistling through a vent or something first, but if i put my head to the back board whilst the noise is there it sounds as though it is coming from the rear. Could be wrong.

Wheels up spinning each one, nothing seems to be the problem. Had a stethoscope on the hubs, no grinding noises

All that is left is to disconnect the abs, jack up the rear and stick it in gear and drive it, but the fact that when the noise comes i can dip the clutch, turn the van off and the noise will still be there until it drops under the speed it usually comes at leads me to believe its not diff.

Any takers?? LOL

Cheers all

Jason

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Wowza ! how did you manage to get through 2 engines and a gearbox in 24 K !! you are harder on machinery than my other half ;).
No idea whats causing your noise btw, although if anyone says "whine" I always think diff.

OP
A

ABLDR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 906 2008 311
Wowza ! how did you manage to get through 2 engines and a gearbox in 24 K !! you are harder on machinery than my other half ;).
No idea whats causing your noise btw, although if anyone says "whine" I always think diff.

240K, not 24K :D

First engine went in Austria at 179,000
Second engine went in Hungary at 225,000

Second engine was out of warranty by just 1000K and Mercedes couldn't have given two craps about it!!! :) They did a Lewis Hamilton on me i think!! Gave me duff engines :D :D :D

Last edited:

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Aaaahh fair enough ! my mistake. Diesels are not indestructible, I lost a con rod on a 1 year old Nissan Navara with 40k on the clock, they were a bit perplexed but did replace it under warranty.

OP
A

ABLDR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 906 2008 311
Aaaahh fair enough ! my mistake. Diesels are not indestructible, I lost a con rod on a 1 year old Nissan Navara with 40k on the clock, they were a bit perplexed but did replace it under warranty.

Mercedes point blank refused to do anything. I was in a massive tackle with them for around 2 weeks waiting for them to do something. In the end we just bought a new engine from them and my colleague fitted it. From that day onwards we refuse to buy another Sprinter. We now use Crafters and although I hear some horror stories, our ones are running very well and only the usual problems. Egr, DPF that sort of thing.

Oh also forgot to mention, we also had a new turbo fitted 2 years ago and 2 days out of warranty it blew up!!! Again they refused to do anything about it. Worst customer aftersales i have ever known in my life, honestly :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The only thing that I know that can make a whine is the diff, but these mainly whine when pulling lightly, and not on the over run.

OP
A

ABLDR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 906 2008 311
The only thing that I know that can make a whine is the diff, but these mainly whine when pulling lightly, and not on the over run.

Yes that was my thinking too. This happens even when you get to the speed it happens, then dip the clutch and turn the engine off. It continues the same sound until the speed drops below what it usually comes at. Very strange noise.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What causes the whine in a diff is when the pinion goes out of mesh with the crown wheel, I wonder if a bearing is damaged rather than worn and its out of mesh all the time

OP
A

ABLDR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 906 2008 311
What causes the whine in a diff is when the pinion goes out of mesh with the crown wheel, I wonder if a bearing is damaged rather than worn and its out of mesh all the time

Would that not be at all speeds though??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These faults do not start to make any noise until about 40mph,,, I see that you have had new drive shafts, I wonder if a bearing in the axle.

OP
A

ABLDR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 906 2008 311
These faults do not start to make any noise until about 40mph,,, I see that you have had new drive shafts, I wonder if a bearing in the axle.

The half shafts were done around 2 years ago by Mercedes in Austria.

Recently the prop was done, around 1 month or so ago. I was wondering if it could have been a duff centre bearing or something like that. I do have a little vibration at 50mph, very slight. I'll jack this up tomorrow and get under with a stethoscope and see if i can hear any noise on it then. Problem being by jacking it up you take all the load off the axle, mind you, the load is also taken off when you dip the clutch and the noise is still there then

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
By leaving the car in P and jacking one wheel at the rear and rocking the wheel you will see if the prop shaft moves and for free play in the center bearing.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Also check for lateral and axial motion in the pinion bearings.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Think about tyres too. They will make noise regardless of in gear or on power etc.

Ian.

With all that work is it possible that a directional tyre has been fitted the wrong way round (rolling in the wrong direction ) ?

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
My money's on the diff..

Maybe damaged when the halfshafts were fitted?

Always eliminate the tyres by swapping front-to-back before you open your wallet..

Last edited:
Top Bottom