Which fuse can I use to power carcam CLC

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDI sport 2008, C200 Sport Estate 205 series 2015
Hi,
I have brand new Nextbase Carcam fresh out of the box which I want to hard wire to my CLC. Located fuse box in side of dash next to steeering wheel and need to identify correct fuse to piggy back power supply. Instructions suggest a power supply which is live with ignition on, but lots of fuses ! The fuses on offer are numbered 21,22,27,28,30,31,36,41and,42... but which to choice ?

The car is a 2008 CLC WDB 203 series and assistance would rely be appreciated.
Thanks. Nikki

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
How about the courtesy light? There must be both permanent & ignition live there somewhere .....

essexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 cdi/2005/2.01
Hi,
I have brand new Nextbase Carcam fresh out of the box which I want to hard wire to my CLC. Located fuse box in side of dash next to steeering wheel and need to identify correct fuse to piggy back power supply. Instructions suggest a power supply which is live with ignition on, but lots of fuses ! The fuses on offer are numbered 21,22,27,28,30,31,36,41and,42... but which to choice ?

Thanks. Nikki
Hi I wired mine into the glovebox light at the other end of the dash,The end panel comes off very easy.Look on my posts.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi,

Thanks. Nikki

With my E Class, there is a list of fuses and what they do with the "toolkit" in the spare wheel. If yours is still there, it will tell you what each number does. Then it is just a matter of finding one that only works with the ignition on - for me the obvious one would be the cigarette lighter. Hope this helps!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
...PS

For what it is worth, I have just discovered a second cigar lighter type socket in my glove box and there is a removable grommet in the side which I can use to get the wiring in from the cable run round the edge of the screen - so I think I will use that rather than use their hardwiring kit and mess around with fuses.

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the list of which fuses do which function, however the fuse for the cigar lighter and glove compartment light (fuse 47) is located in the engine bay rather than car cabin which is not ideal. The cabin fuse box does have a telephone fuse (36) which is only 7.5 amp which may be suitable if it turns on/ off with ignition. Will need to check.

Another option (suggested to me on the forum) is to wire to glove box light fitting without going to a fuse box which I will explore. If talking this route will use in line fuse to be on safe side.

Nikki

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Or just go to the back of the cigarette lighter (which is usually easily accessible inside the car.
The radio also usually has a switched 12v.

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Out in drive trying to sort wiring to hard wire dash cam on a CLC.
Just looked at glove box wiring and I have two cables to light bulb, Brown and black/yellow stripes.

Does the brown serve as the live going to dash cam red ? And where did you get the dash cam earth. Is the black/ yellow and earth feed or did you take lead and earth to the car body. If so where?

Thanks

Nikki

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Car cam successfully hard wired into glove box light so turns off/on with ignition as suggested by earlier posts. Thanks to all that made suggestions and in particular Ken R and Essexboy for their input and solution.

Nikki

essexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 cdi/2005/2.01
Car cam successfully hard wired into glove box light so turns off/on with ignition as suggested by earlier posts. Thanks to all that made suggestions and in particular Ken R and Essexboy for their input and solution.

Nikki

Hi
Sorry I did not get back to you to reply for your question I have been very busy helping my son move house and did not have pc turned on.
I am so glad you sorted things out and hope everything is working ok

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)

Nikki

Well done Nikki2512, sounds like a good job!

I'm still planning to use the 12v socket in the glove box for mine. I don't know whether it's laziness or old age but my days if pulling cars apart and messing with electrics are long gone. "In my youth" I did all sorts of things to my old Morris Marina but that came apart very easily (OK it fell apart very easily!) and everything was a lot simpler especially with the old Haynes manuals.

The problem I have now is that the 12v socket in the glove box is dead. By that I mean that I have tested two items that work in the centre console socket but get no power in the glove box one even with the engine running. Fuses look OK. May be unrelated but the glove box light doesn't work either but I read somewhere that it needs to be dark with the headlights on so it may not be dark enough in my garage.

Anyway it looks like I will have to drop in to see MBS Southampton and let Cole@MBS or one of his colleagues check it out. I want to use the camera on a forthcoming European trip so, in the meantime, I can do a pretty neat job using the centre console with only the last 15/20cm of cord and the plug showing.

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sardinia, my glove box light comes on with the ignition as soon as you open the glove box door. Having wired into the glovebox light power feed, the carcam comes on/off with ignition. Only disappointing thing is the Nextbase car cam itself in so far as you have to manually set it each time to be in standby when parked if you want it to record potential collisions, and remember to take out of parking mode before driving off. Why, or why could they not have made this automatic.

Good luck

Nikki

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
my glove box light comes on with the ignition as soon as you open the glove box door.

Nikki

Sorted - thanks to Nikki's comment about the glove box light which set me thinking.... if both the 12v socket and the light aren't working but the fuses are OK perhaps the wires have been detached. Have just taken out the glove box (and, for once, paid proper attention so that I knew where everything went back) and, yes, both the socket and light wires were not connected. Presumably some young apprentice at MB Southampton has taken the glove box out at some time to change the cabin air filter and forgot, or could not be bothered, to reconnect the wires. All functioning properly now they have been reconnected and saved me a trip to our local indie.

So now I can get on with installing my Dash Cam to use the glove box socket and no wires will be showing at all.

By the way, isn't autocorrect wonderful - I think I prefer "Sardinia" to "Srdl" as a user name!;)

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apologies Srdl, you are right auto correct stepped in to create Sardinia!

Glad you got the power sorted.

Nikki

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom