What is the best valeting products?

TazK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w163 ML 2002 270
H Guys,

I use Maguire's and autoglym aqua wax. Autoglym I feel leaves a residue whereas for the wax, what do you guys use?

Thanks

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Best Valeting Product - elbow grease! Believe it or not, years ago my children actually found a tin of it from Body Shop!! Special "grease" for dry skin on elbows, of all things, think I still have it somewhere!

Try reading on detailingworld - when you have lots of spare time!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Valeting, for what? Interior- Leather, cloth, bare plastic, painted plastic, lacquered wood... Exterior, painted plastic, painted metal, lacquered metal, bare plastic?

There are products for each...

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
There is no best product as each of us had different opinions and will get on differently with any given product.

There are products designed for the novice to use and there are products designed for a professional to use.

The novice products are very forgiving of mistakes in application. The professional ones aren't and some require EXTENSIVE work to correct if you get it wrong (Crystal Serum as an example)

If the Autoglym is leaving a residue it means you're using too much of it, or applying it incorrectly (to hot a panel, uneven coverage etc).

OP
T

TazK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w163 ML 2002 270
Thanks guys yeah its just for interior and exterior like wax. I find autosmart have so good products for interior too :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
For the outside of the car I use Armorall Shield. The main reason being that it doesn't leave any residue on the plastics or rubber seals etc. It is very easy to use and has excellent beading qualities that seem to last for months. Used it for quite a few years now and am very reluctant to change. :)

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
I use Carlack products in conjunction with Collinite 915, as two of my cars are dark. This gives a nice finish, goes on easily and beads nicely. I never achieved a nice finish with Autoglym Aqua wax, found that it left patches and took a lot of work to remove.
Just my preference and as said above, there is a lot of stuff on the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
There are a bewildering variety of products out there, with claims as wildly differing as their prices.

The UK is the global centre of detailing products now so every man and his dog is setting up as a supplier, most rebottling bulk trade products or importing an overseas-made product of questionable provenance and self-labelling. There are also some new brands which are genuinely far better than the old established household names.

We have been retailing valeting/detailing products since 2003 and have seen brands explode onto the market and whimper out of it. None have a complete range to suit everyone in the same way as no car manufacturer has, nor is 'the best'.

We try to offer good products to suit a variety of needs, budgets and abilities and I have built the business on offering proven products and advice.

So please have a look at our offerings, I use/d most of them myself and will gladly make individual recommendations.
www.morethanpolish.com

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
Have a look at Bilt-Hamber. Despite the name they are a British company who make their own products. I have their Auto-Wash and Auto-Wheel and find them superior to anything else I've used.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
H Guys,

I use Maguire's and autoglym aqua wax. Autoglym I feel leaves a residue whereas for the wax, what do you guys use?

Thanks
If I've done a full Monty on the car (ie clayed & polished), then I use Natty's Poorboys - intended for darker cars, goes on fairly easily and buffs off well.

For more routine, shorter TLC sessions, I use Armourall Armour Shield. As above, it goes on easily (even in sunlight), buffs off easily, and does seem to give a robust protective finish. (Seems pretty effective against bird bombs!). Can also wipe it over the plastic parts without it leaving white residue. Looked like this afterwards:

After basic washes, I often just dry the car, then give it a wipe-over with Sonax BSD.

Last edited:

Sylar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2006/180k
You wont go far wrong with Maguire's products. I like the ultimate wax, its a synthetic wax that stays on for around a year. I only use the ultimate shampoo but at near 20 quid its expensive! But the rain beads well after a wash....

I use Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax for the "made of glass" look. Only last a few days but that stuffs awesome for show.

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
Meguiars is very much an enthusiast, mid-market product that is worth buying to cut your teeth on.

The products do what they say and are well-enough engineered, but there are far better products out there which you will see the benefits of once you have learnt how to use the more forgiving, mass market ones.

But you do have to pick carefully as there is so much bull out there and opportunistic pricing. Stick to the established brands, companies with a proper website (not just ebay), landline phone number, a number of years experience and a reputation beyond a few bloggers who've been 'bought' with some free products. After all, if the product goes wrong and you have a claim you need to know there's substance behind your supplier - be it advice, assistance or more.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Autoglym was my favorite .But as one of the posters above said it leaves white powder in any crack it can find .Just had a few containers of Williams Wash And Wax .This is the easiest polish I have used so far. It treats all the car including the glass and trim ,other than front window . But I find it beads ok for a day or so would be good if you keep it in a garage .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I have some Autoglym stuff , but I've had good results with Dodo juice ,Collinite,Chemical Guys , Poorboys ,Meguiars ,Sonax . All worth trying , things have moved on since Autoglym SRP

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Is there a preferred polish for silver cars? My car actually has a faintly blue hue, but close to silver. I'm intending to clay the car, then polish, then wax. It would be helpful if I knew which products would work best for my car. I've got the Bilt Hammer clay. I'll probably be doing it all by hand, though a friend has offered his DA polisher, so maybe...

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Is there a preferred polish for silver cars? My car actually has a faintly blue hue, but close to silver.

Short answer - No.

Any polish will work the same on black, blue, red etc as silver.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I like the Bilt-Hamber Double Speed wax as it is really easy to apply and reasonably priced.

I use it and their Clay, really easy to use and works well

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I like the Bilt-Hamber Double Speed wax as it is really easy to apply and reasonably priced.

I too think that is one of the best out there. Gives a nice deep shine and as said easy to use. Voted top product by Auto Express :)

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Okay, thanks Guys.

On another page Wighty has championed Dodo juice as a polish and AnthonyUK and JBell's recommendation for Bilt Hamber double speed wax seem like good endorsements, so I'll order them today. Just need slightly cooler, cloudier day at the weekend to get on with it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom