Engine oil creeping up

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Hello all,

Over the last few months of ownership of my E350 CDI (61 plate with DPF) the engine oil seems to have crept up. It now sits just above max and I'm not sure what to do now. I am refusing to drive the car atm and I' waiting for mercedes service department to ring me back, so I cna ask them what should I do.
The last thing is a runaway diesel, should it get to that stage.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Can only be caused by fuel contamination of the oil. Presumably you have been doing a lot of short running? Don't allow too much contamination as the lubricating quality of the oil diminishes with higher levels of fuel. Change the oil....

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Can only be caused by fuel contamination of the oil. Presumably you have been doing a lot of short running? Don't allow too much contamination as the lubricating quality of the oil diminishes with higher levels of fuel. Change the oil....

It can also be caused by water getting into the oil, e.g. head gasket.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The OP didn't state the look or smell of the oil so it's wrong to assume it can only be fuel.

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oil is black as anything and it does indeed smell a little bit fuelly.
I do plan an service next month before I go touring europe.

Been told by MB service dept to monitor coolant level and oil level and also been told it will flag up if the oil level gets too high.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Water would have been a much worse scenario.
I don't think diesel runaway can be caused by oil being too high unless the turbo oil seals fail.
Hopefully someone will confirm.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
There are a number of ways fuel can get into the oil. A discussion about that with your dealer or an indi would be a good idea. If only via rings, then more frequent oil changes would suffice. Long running will also help.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Water would have been a much worse scenario.
I don't think diesel runaway can be caused by oil being too high unless the turbo oil seals fail.
Hopefully someone will confirm.

it can happen. the oil gets too high and more of it splashes around in the PCV breather system. as this returns to the inlet side of the engine, it can (in extreme circumstances) cause runaway. its rare but it CAN happen

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't know what to think of it at the moment. Don't have any warnings etc telling me otherwise. I think it may have splashed about as it gets a few drops higher on the wire of the dipstick, but at random spot, not continious or anything. May just be worrying too much.

Is there a way of draining a tad of the oil for my own piece of mind until I get it serviced in August?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Don't know what to think of it at the moment. Don't have any warnings etc telling me otherwise. I think it may have splashed about as it gets a few drops higher on the wire of the dipstick, but at random spot, not continious or anything. May just be worrying too much.

Is there a way of draining a tad of the oil for my own piece of mind until I get it serviced in August?
Go to B&Q and buy say 3 meters of clear tubing.
When I found the car had a few mm over the max, when really hot, just after an oil change.
I just pushed it down the oil dipstick tube, it goes in about the length of the dipstick, and then I sucked it, and the syphon effect just pulled it up.
For health reasons I got 3 meters so I could pull the fumes into my lungs. A good strong quick suck starts the syphon effect.
Then rechecked the dipstick and set it 2 mm under max. When the oil is very hot.

Mine was down to just a somewhat slap dash mechanic doing an oil change.
But its very important it doesnt get too high, if it does the crank can whisk the oil, which like whipped cream expands considersbly ... not seen that but was told thats what happens if its a lot too high.
Aerated oil Has considersbly more volume, which in turn lets the crank whisk it more, lubricates poorly, creates too much crank pressure, can cause oil leaks, and can mess up the PVR oil breather etc. Etc.

I got my MB MD to check it out thoroughly. All was well , just careless overfilling i.e. Not done when the oil was hot. If it was cold it was under the max mark.
Mobil 1 0W40 expands a lot when hot. Or so they say, and you can see it.

I was also very surprised how sensitive this V8 was to even a slight slope, the surface you are on has to be really level. Reversing the direction of the car is an eyeopener!

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
i know mazda had big issues with the 6 model , there was ash build up in the oil which increased oil levels to a dangerous level , I heard a couple of units failed because of it

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
@sub - or alternatively by a 16 quid ebay electric suction pump? :)

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Can't seem to find the right thing on there. All I seem to be able to find in that range has just as much in postage from Germany or somewhere else. All the cheap and cheerful ones have like a 220 mil pipe on them. Could you link me something please?

Cant make up my mind as to how accurate the dipstick is either as there seems to be deposits on the dipstick tube as well. Worse comes to worse might give my indie a ring to see if he can sort it quickly.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Look up Pela 6000 suction pump . Then you will have it for future oil changes

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
or just get a cheaper, easier to store 4L one if the oil capacity on your car is over 6L (as youll need to do it in two goes anyway)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
or just get a cheaper, easier to store 4L one if the oil capacity on your car is over 6L (as youll need to do it in two goes anyway)
Good advice :)

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the useful information everyone.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Definitely a better option.
I did not take enough oil out on the first suck as it started to drain back, so on the second suck .. I could sort of taste the smell of oil fumes in my mouth. Probably carcinogenic :-/ but not sure.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom