A170 W169 3 door rear speaker removal?

slipalong

Reaction score
Anyone know if these just pop out or does the whole panel have to come off? I have levered them a bit, and they move but are very tight, and I am worried I will break them. If they do pop out, do I lever under the chrome ring, or the internal circular section?

Sunileeyo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class A170 2005
Hi,

Did you ever find a solution for this? As my rear speaker has just popped. Also would you know what size the rear speakers are and what speakers did you replace them with?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, and welcome :)

Do you have the option 532 - power sound system with an extra speaker in the dash, and a subwoofer in the spare wheel?

If yes, then it is the same as mine, and the rear speaker part number is: A1698200902 (it might well be the same, for the standard audio setup, I just don't know). Don't know the size either, but can find info on removal and replacement.

36737071111_c4da420eb4_c.jpg

Sunileeyo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class A170 2005
Hi!

Thank you for getting in touch, I don't have the sun and amp in the back but have everything else showing in the image.

How do I remove the back passenger speakers and does the dash speaker work for the handsfree? As I can't hear anyone when I use the handsfree they sound very faint

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought the standard configuration was with six speakers, and the power sound - with eight?
Wasn't aware there was one in between, i.e. no subwoofer, but a central dash speaker.

Anyway, here's the link - I uploaded five files from WIS, should be all the info you might need to remove and replace the speaker.

https://we.tl/CUWLkYQZyR It's on the [free] WeTransfer site, so will only be available for a week.

No idea about your handsfree - must be something not quite right with the connection - on my old system (with factory Audio 20) it was as loud and clear as can be. The handsfree should utilise the entire sound system, not just one speaker.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
David, the link is open - just in case you might need this later.
I'm saving every WIS page I print, for myself or others, for future reference.

Sunileeyo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class A170 2005
Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated. would you know what size that rear speaker is? as I will need to buy some before I dismantle the rear panel.

I thought the standard configuration was with six speakers, and the power sound - with eight?
Wasn't aware there was one in between, i.e. no subwoofer, but a central dash speaker.

Anyway, here's the link - I uploaded five files from WIS, should be all the info you might need to remove and replace the speaker.

https://we.tl/CUWLkYQZyR It's on the [free] WeTransfer site, so will only be available for a week.

No idea about your handsfree - must be something not quite right with the connection - on my old system (with factory Audio 20) it was as loud and clear as can be. The handsfree should utilise the entire sound system, not just one speaker.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated. would you know what size that rear speaker is? as I will need to buy some before I dismantle the rear panel.

I'm afraid you'd need to ask professionals - I never replaced a speaker, yet :)
As you can see, from the uploaded files, the Mercedes EPC only gives you a part number ...

If you contact ComandOnline.co.uk / comand.co.uk - they should be able to tell you the size, etc, or might even have it listed on their site.

Sunileeyo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class A170 2005
I'm afraid you'd need to ask professionals - I never replaced a speaker, yet :)
As you can see, from the uploaded files, the Mercedes EPC only gives you a part number ...

If you contact ComandOnline.co.uk / comand.co.uk - they should be able to tell you the size, etc, or might even have it listed on their site.

Thanks, I will et in touch with Mercedes and get all the sizes so I can take it to a pro to do for me and change my head unit to the pumkin android one. ...

http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/merced...ink-gps-dvd-3g-wifi-on-line-video-output.html

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just changed my Audio20 to an Erisin 9" unit, and so far am very happy with it.

A few thoughts about your chosen head unit:
  • The pumpkin branding is not something I would like in my car, particularly as the idea of the design is to mimic the Mercedes COMAND look
  • The unit's CPU is quad-core, the latest one is octa-core
  • The RAM is only 1GB, you'd get a much better performance with 2GB unit
  • Same for the NAND - 16GB v 32GB in the latest models
  • It's a bit pricey for the spec

Here's the one I fitted:

36514551772_79e4cb1817_o.jpg

35760816223_311a6bdc3c_o.jpg

Apologies for the 'working mess' in the last pic - I'm waiting for the centre vents to be carbon dipped, before I can take a few pics with working HU and finished centre console. This unit has all the spec advantages I mentioned above, no moving parts (no DVD), runs cooler, and is cheaper ;) However, if DVD player is essential, this won't do.

Sunileeyo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class A170 2005
That looks pretty impressive, what model number is that head unit and are you able to still use the steering wheel controls?

I just need a head unit which can help me be a safe driver so I can actually use the handsfree without having to mess around while driving.
DAB
REAR PARKING CAMERA
3G DONGLE INPUT
GPS BUILT IN , PREFERABLY GOOGLE MAPS
BLUETOOTH
AUX INPUT

IF I CAN HAVE THE ABOVE IN A HEADUNIT I AM NOT FUSSED ABOUT DVD/DISK

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I like it too :)

The unit is Erisin ES6982B - you can find them on eBay, as listings change often - I bought it directly from Erisin's own eBay store (UK delivery and warranty, incl returns), carparts-mall.

Yes, the steering wheel controls work perfectly fine, in fact I get more info in the instrument cluster, than before (well, it's only track duration, but still); telephone dial / hang up, etc work too.

All the functions you've listed are available, DAB and a rear cam would be separate items, of course. I don't listen to the radio, ever, so can't comment, but the reversing cam I have fitted, and it's perfect. I might later upgrade to one with no built-in parking lines, as the unit offers dynamic guides, and they are rather good too (so full steering wheel position integration via CANbus).

Instead of 3G dongle (which is an option), I just use my iPhone 4G via WiFi - works fine.
Multiple bluetooth connections are okay too - I have OBD-II dongle - ELM327, and phone at the same time.
Satnav is iGo, which I wasn't familiar with before, as I use Garmin, but it's very good and everything was pre-loaded, without occupying a microSD slot, which is free.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
To remove the rear speakers you need to get the whole panel off. They are screwed in from the rear. The size is about 3.5" and is particular to Mercedes as they have three mounting lugs not the usual four.

Sunileeyo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class A170 2005
Hi, and welcome :)

Do you have the option 532 - power sound system with an extra speaker in the dash, and a subwoofer in the spare wheel?

If yes, then it is the same as mine, and the rear speaker part number is: A1698200902 (it might well be the same, for the standard audio setup, I just don't know). Don't know the size either, but can find info on removal and replacement.

36737071111_c4da420eb4_c.jpg
Thanks for your help, I believe there isn't a speaker in the dash but as I am now upgrading the system by the pros, would it be worth installing a speaker in the dash?

Do you see any advantage of this?

Sunileeyo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class A170 2005
Tha
Thanks, I like it too :)

The unit is Erisin ES6982B - you can find them on eBay, as listings change often - I bought it directly from Erisin's own eBay store (UK delivery and warranty, incl returns), carparts-mall.

Yes, the steering wheel controls work perfectly fine, in fact I get more info in the instrument cluster, than before (well, it's only track duration, but still); telephone dial / hang up, etc work too.

All the functions you've listed are available, DAB and a rear cam would be separate items, of course. I don't listen to the radio, ever, so can't comment, but the reversing cam I have fitted, and it's perfect. I might later upgrade to one with no built-in parking lines, as the unit offers dynamic guides, and they are rather good too (so full steering wheel position integration via CANbus).

Instead of 3G dongle (which is an option), I just use my iPhone 4G via WiFi - works fine.
Multiple bluetooth connections are okay too - I have OBD-II dongle - ELM327, and phone at the same time.
Satnav is iGo, which I wasn't familiar with before, as I use Garmin, but it's very good and everything was pre-loaded, without occupying a microSD slot, which is free.

Thanks for your advice, I have decided to go with the avh x3800dab head unit.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your help, I believe there isn't a speaker in the dash but as I am now upgrading the system by the pros, would it be worth installing a speaker in the dash?

Do you see any advantage of this?
It's hard to say, as I never had a chance to directly compare the sound quality with a standard speaker set, but I suspect there must be an improvement. If your installers can fit one, within the same labour cost (should do really), then it might be worth doing so?

Polykarpos

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A150 W169.3 (coupe) / 2006 / 266.920
Hi,

I have a 3 door A150 and one of my rear speakers is blown.
Is it possible for someone to post the WIS files on how to get to it(remove the panel).

Also a suggestion on the speakers would appreciated.(I have the Audio 5 / Becker BE6086)

Thanks in advance.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi and welcome!

When you say 'rear speaker', do you mean the one in the upper section of the side panel (would be a rear door speaker on a 5-door car), or the small one in the C-pillar, behind the rear seats (if you have one)?

These should help either way :)

Attachments

• W169 WIS Side paneling in rear.pdf
    208.7 KB · Views: 144
  • W169 WIS Remove_install speakers in side paneling (rear).pdf
    79.9 KB · Views: 125
  • W169 WIS trim at C-pillar.pdf
    198.8 KB · Views: 105
  • W169 WIS sidebag unit in the rear.pdf
    211.9 KB · Views: 105

Polykarpos

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A150 W169.3 (coupe) / 2006 / 266.920
Yes, that is exactly the info I was looking for.
Plus that was incredibly quick.

Thanks again GLK!!!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom