Anyone fitted winter wheels/tyres onto a C350e?

Zeddicus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 C350e Sport
Hi,

I've just joined.

Thinking of fitting winter tyres/wheels to my 6mo old C350e.

Checked out options with Mercedes and they say that the only OEM wheel that will fit the car is the A205 401 0800 wheel which they would happily sell me for £500 per corner including tyres! Not keen on spending that much! Mine is a sport spec so comes with 17" alloys.

I've seen some generic W205 wheels - A205 401 2400 (16") - but Mercedes are non-committal on whether they will fit.

I'd much prefer to buy a second hand set of wheels and tyres as they tend to be cheaper than just getting new tyres - looking like c£130ish a corner for a decent set, and they will have some resale value.

I have the car on a 2 year lease, so I'll need the winter set up for 2 winters only. Probably going 4x4 after this one, so just need something to get me through.

If anyone is a C350e owner and has gone through the same issues, I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Zed

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The only potential issues with the 16s will be fitting over calipers and what ET they are.
The recommended ones are ET48 and the others are ET38. You could fit 10mm spacers with longer bolts to correct it but its not an ideal solution.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Maybe just go "all seasons" on the current rims , and keep the tyres you have for refitting when the car goes in two years !! It's going to be cheaper.
Or run winter tyres on the current rims for two years , that could be cheaper still .

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
For 2 x winters I’d just get the winter tyres and keep the existing rims.
By the time you’ve bought the tyres on top of Alloywheels direct prices for the alloys you’re back to near 2k
Oponeo will do you Kumho Wintercraft for £77/each for front and £90/each for rears- £334 total plus fitting- probably £60 for 4, so all in under £400.
Or check your manual, it may also suggest you can use 225/50 all round for winter in which case you could use the Uniroyal MS Plus 77 as I have for £92 per tyre (and you could rotate those)

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Hi,

I've just joined.

Thinking of fitting winter tyres/wheels to my 6mo old C350e.

Checked out options with Mercedes and they say that the only OEM wheel that will fit the car is the A205 401 0800 wheel which they would happily sell me for £500 per corner including tyres! Not keen on spending that much! Mine is a sport spec so comes with 17" alloys.

I've seen some generic W205 wheels - A205 401 2400 (16") - but Mercedes are non-committal on whether they will fit.

I'd much prefer to buy a second hand set of wheels and tyres as they tend to be cheaper than just getting new tyres - looking like c£130ish a corner for a decent set, and they will have some resale value.

I have the car on a 2 year lease, so I'll need the winter set up for 2 winters only. Probably going 4x4 after this one, so just need something to get me through.

If anyone is a C350e owner and has gone through the same issues, I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Zed
I've fitted 17in alloy wheels and winter tyres from a 204 to my C220 W205 Sport which has 'standard' front discs and calipers. If I remember rightly, there is a couple of mm difference with the ET value which brings them out very slightly. To remove the TPMS warnings, though, you would need to fit valves that are compatible with the MB systems.

Ernie

OP
Z

Zeddicus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 C350e Sport
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Definitely going with tyres rather than wheels. Hearing good things about the Goodyear Ultragrip Gen 1 tyres. A bit more than the Kumho's but still around £550 fitted. Happy to pay a little extra as, with a bit of juggling, I should get away with having them as the only extra set I need to buy for the car before I return it in 18 months.

Anyone have experience of them?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I agree with paying a bit more for quality totally. Sorry I havent used those but being Goodyear I would reckon they are good!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My Uniroyals weren’t even worthy of a test ^

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Definitely going with tyres rather than wheels. Hearing good things about the Goodyear Ultragrip Gen 1 tyres. A bit more than the Kumho's but still around £550 fitted. Happy to pay a little extra as, with a bit of juggling, I should get away with having them as the only extra set I need to buy for the car before I return it in 18 months.

Anyone have experience of them?
I had kumhos on a jeep , and they felt good to me . I would say don't rule them out on your car if you are driving round town for the next two years , but if you are a quick driver , involving all weathers , fast roads and the like I would go with the Goodyears .

quinnj3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport Coupe Auto 227bhp
I’ve just bought a couple of Nankang winters to see me through the worst weather. I haven’t had them on the car yet so no reports from me except I used to fit winters to my old e46 318i BMW. I remember one fine snowy day all traffic on my roads came a halt. The only person moving was me! My rwd coupe handled the weather better than 4x4 jeeps without winter tyres. Again they were budget tyres. I run Goodyear for my summer setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’ve just bought a couple of Nankang winters to see me through the worst weather. I haven’t had them on the car yet so no reports from me except I used to fit winters to my old e46 318i BMW. I remember one fine snowy day all traffic on my roads came a halt. The only person moving was me! My rwd coupe handled the weather better than 4x4 jeeps without winter tyres. Again they were budget tyres. I run Goodyear for my summer setup.

A couple?

quinnj3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport Coupe Auto 227bhp
Yes, just rears. My previous experience on a rwd car is that if you can keep moving the fronts tend to be able to manage direction change just fine. The weight of the engine over them helps to maintain grip. I’ve never had to fit winters to a fwd car due to the engine weight over the front axle. Only issue I’ve ever had in snow in any car is maintaining drive in a rwd.

Fitting 2 tyres instead of 4 works for me anyway, it’s not as if I’m attempting to drive at 60mph in snow conditions just because I’ve winters on. I just need to maintain drive so I can make it home.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Yes, just rears. My previous experience on a rwd car is that if you can keep moving the fronts tend to be able to manage direction change just fine. The weight of the engine over them helps to maintain grip.

Yet I took the SLC out in an inch of snow a couple of weeks ago, Pointed downhill the fronts locked up with the slightest touch of the brake pedal, even at only 2mph and so slow the ABS would not kick in either as they slid towards the kerb line. Only saving grace was the rears had no grip either, I dread to think how unstable the handling would be with winters on the rear only.

Russ

OP
Z

Zeddicus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 C350e Sport
Thanks for all of the responses to this. I ended up getting the Goodyear Ultragrip Gen 1s for the car in the end - £570 fitted and free storage for my summer tyres. I've actually got them for sale in the 'Spares' forum as I'll unfortunately be selling the car shortly :(. Loved my year with the c350e Sport Premium Plus, but a new job means that it will likely spend the next 12 months being bumped and scraped in a station car park, so best to let it go now and get a cheap run around to take the brunt of the damage!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom