ECO Start/Stop

icom102

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350L Se Bluetec
I have the ECO start stop on my S Class on my C Class as soon as i stopped in traffic or lights the engine cut out and started when i took my foot off the break does it not work the same in the S Class the ECO light is yellow and the engine never turns off when i stop in traffic

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Hi,

If the ECO light is orange it means the ECO function is not active. Either the conditions for activating it are not being met (a long list: cabin temp., battery charge, engine temp., misty windscreen etc) or you may have a problem with the Adblue.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Are we talking about the car in your avatar (S350L Se Bluetec) ?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hi,

If the ECO light is orange it means the ECO function is not active. Either the conditions for activating it are not being met (a long list: cabin temp., battery charge, engine temp., misty windscreen etc) or you may have a problem with the Adblue.

I'd suggest this post is about right. The S will probably put comfort over economy and will probably need much more "charge" in the battery before this system is happy to cut the engine out. Based on the amount of kit and the fact a powerful car charger can sit for 24 hrs and the battery on an S class won't even notice. Its probably nearly always below the threshold for start stop to be active unless you have a great battery and drive at least 50 miles a day

That said, a mate's 2015 C class never worked because the start stop control module was defective and was changed under warranty recently... and now it does

OP
I

icom102

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350L Se Bluetec
Yes the S350L Btec

Ans your mates does it work straight away or after a long drive?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My 63 will work on the odd occasion I use ECO mode

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Yes the S350L Btec

his drive to work is about 25 miles (each way)... in the first 6 months stops start functioned twice, the car had a software update and other work still never worked. had the module changed and now it does what u'd expect it to do

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Have you checked that it is activated, it may have been deactivated by the garage or a previous owner.
Its not something that I would be extremely fond of on a big engined car. IT is bound to cause wear and major bills further down the road. Even though I've been told there is a different starter within the Gearbox/bell housing which operates the stop /start system.
Some bumf here on stop/start.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

Last edited:
OP
I

icom102

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350L Se Bluetec
Botus does it work straight away on your mates car?
Xtractorfan well apart from the ECO switch down beside the command wheel can it be turned off anywhere else its lit in the dash but in yellow thow its supposed to be lit green

Wabby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY17 C250d Coupè
Hi,

This ^

Also, my C Class never gets stop start anymore as I only drive 6 miles most days ... If it goes for a run over a weekend then stop start usually works for a day or two max.

Think the battery needs to be almost 100%.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Yes the S350L Btec

Just to give you a basis for comparison, mine is 2011 350bluetec and in general the ECO works:

Under 'normal' conditions (driven every day or two) >> on after about 3 miles.
Ditto but very hot or very cold weather >>> on after 6 or 7 miles.
If I've been fettling the car a lot, opening and shutting doors, radio on etc >>> may take 15 or 20 miles.

The only time it didn't come on at all (even after a 50 mile drive) was when I had a HS NOx sensor and then the engine light came on after a couple of days.

HTH

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
This ^

Also, my C Class never gets stop start anymore as I only drive 6 miles most days ... If it goes for a run over a weekend then stop start usually works for a day or two max.

Think the battery needs to be almost 100%.
Yep lots of short trips and it will be Orange.....

OP
I

icom102

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350L Se Bluetec
My old C Class it worked right after i started the car

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I'd be ecstatic if it were broken. Stupid idea for all the reasons listed by the others above.

Can't say if it works well or not on the 2015 C class
Can say on a 2011 one the owner liked it (I never understood why), on his replacement Audi A6 it leaves him stranded and causes dangerous situations at junctions (both were autos)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom