Mercedes Sl280 R129 Roof Switch and Roll Bar Illuminated

Hans Solo5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 280 (R129) 1997 Straight 6
Hi, I stupidly let the battery drop down low, I started her with a battery pack but now the Roof Light is permanently on as is the roll bar light.

Im praying no permeant damage by using the battery pack, everything else is fine, is it a trip to MB for a STAR plugin and fault clear of is there a DIY fix I could try?

Is it safe to drive her with the red switches on? the roof switch gets hot !!!

Best way to keep battery fully charged with causing issues please?

Thanks in advance

David

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I recently bourght a maypole battery trickle charger for mid £20 from eBay/Amazon ( other sales platforms are available :D) . It allows you to wire the battery in to a pull push connection block that makes permanent trickle charging more easy .

Vintage Racer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SL320 (R129)
Can't answer the first question, but for the second, buy a C-TEK MXS5

Not cheap, but I use them on all of my cars and mower etc.

I have tried cheaper brands, but never get the same performance, or reliability.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Try resetting the roll bar by putting it up and down 3 times. If that doesn’t work I'd disconnect the battery for a short while, reconnect and try the reset again.
If none of that works then it will need plugged into STAR- hopefully no ECU issue.
Hope that helps David. Did you have to reset the windows by the way?

OP
Hans Solo5

Hans Solo5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try resetting the roll bar by putting it up and down 3 times. If that doesn’t work I'd disconnect the battery for a short while, reconnect and try the reset again.
If none of that works then it will need plugged into STAR- hopefully no ECU issue.
Hope that helps David. Did you have to reset the windows by the way?

Thank you John

Windows and everything else was fine! How do I reset the roll bar when the switch is not working? is it a case of manually pulling it up and down?

I read also by pulling the hardtop manually may also work and reseating.

Many thanks for your help.

David

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah David the switch isn’t operating then didn’t realise sorry. Hold it in the up position for 10 secs, if that doesn’t work then the battery disconnect for c20 mins and reconnect then if that doesn’t work it needs a Star reset

OP
Hans Solo5

Hans Solo5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah David the switch isn’t operating then didn’t realise sorry. Hold it in the up position for 10 secs, if that doesn’t work then the battery disconnect for c20 mins and reconnect then if that doesn’t work it needs a Star reset
John
My car tech guy suggested to disconnect the Negative terminal only! is this on the same lines as you were thinking?

I don't need the roof down this time of year but is it safe to drive her with the lights on? roof switch gets very warm.

Thanks again.

David

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Indeed was what I was thinking of....
I wouldn’t put of getting it seen to if the battery disconnect doesn’t work

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you have the manual roof latch tool make sure it's all locked down. If so then it should be ok to drive although the roll over bar may not operate.

The switch will get hot due to the bulb being lit.

OP
Hans Solo5

Hans Solo5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Guys for your responses, very helpful, Im pleased to say by disconnecting the negative side of the battery for 20 minutes, it cleared the lights and everything went back to how it should be ! All working as it should, a word of warning just make sure you have the radio code written down. Very happy with that. Note to-self, get a trickle charger.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom