CL500 full respray or other options?

Sl500er

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215 CL500 [Also Owned W221, W220, R129, R230, W211]
Hi,

I have just bought a silver w215 cl500 ‘06 in very good condition.. I feel it needs to be fettled further to bring it back to near concourse condition (feel that the car deserves the attention)

The bodywork has been ceramic treated with g-tech however... I have some corrosion and neeed guidance on the best approach. The areas affected are:

Rear wheel arches (quite a bit), sunroof area (small bubble), bonnet ( many stone chips), a pillar (small bubble), c pillar (usual place).

Shall,I go for a full respry or just address each area separately or... is there another approach? I don’t want the car to look like a patchwork quilt and want to stop further issues..

Also, any recconendations for a suitable body shop in Merseyside /Cheshire?

Cheers,

PC

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It really depends on the painters ability some will work miracles and you won't tell on the paint, the corrosion is more difficult as it depends how bad it is.
Try and see some of their work and even better where its done and what they use.
Wheel arches particularly rear are a pain because the back ones can have rust trapped.

OP
Sl500er

Sl500er

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215 CL500 [Also Owned W221, W220, R129, R230, W211]
Thanks, how do you mean ‘trapped’?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Corrosion entering behind the paint making it difficult to get at - I’ve made a recommendation on your intro post, tell them you’ve been recommended by a friend of Susan Newton (I think the couple who run it are Wayne and Susan IIRC). The Susan Newton i mention has a 2000 SLK 280 which has been fettled by them

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>> don’t want the car to look like a patchwork quilt
>>>depends on the painters ability

I've used three bodyshops I trust over the past 25yrs and my preference is to paint the minimum possible and when they guys are good it is impossible to know which panels have been done,

For example on my 15yr old BMW 5-series I bought it with unsightly blemishes/dings (no rust though) the previous owner thought OK on a car of that age but I didn't. So one windscreen pillar, one sill, the rear bumper and a front wing have been painted. Two+ years on and those panels still all match perfectly.

I always ask to see completed work at any sprayshop I consider and if there is even a hint of difference in the new paint I don't use them.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Thanks, how do you mean ‘trapped’?

Between two or three panels. Rear arches comprise an inner, an outer and sometimes a roof panel.
Hence it is an 'involved repair', once corrosion gains a stronghold betwixt.

More so, when Aluminium is involved (think so, on the CL)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes thank you thats what I mean't .

ardaelius

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class 2010 2.1 diesel four door w204 c250 cdi blue eff sport
may i ask for advice please,? one obsidian black 2010 c class 2.1 2010 diesel sport i am seriously thinking of having a complete re spray. when completed, how soon to wash or not to wash,! to polish or not to polish! and all the bits and pieces that i may need to do the job properly, they are the questions, also please take inconsideration i am 80 yer old, ardealius

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
The only person who can give you the definitive answer is the painter himself, as it's entirely dependant on what materials he uses.

Some can be cleaned within a day or two, others a few weeks.

As for the OP, I agree with this statement: -

I've used three bodyshops I trust over the past 25yrs and my preference is to paint the minimum possible and when they guys are good it is impossible to know which panels have been done,

ardaelius

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class 2010 2.1 diesel four door w204 c250 cdi blue eff sport
thanks daveenty, sorry about the time lapse in my answer, ardaelius.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom