Rear knocking CLC 180 Kompressor Sport Auto 2009

Miggy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Panorama Sport 2009
Have an intermittent knocking sound from rear of car. It occurs when foot is taken off accelerator and is relative to the speed of the car - a slow knock, knock at low speed, and more like a machine gun at high speed. Braking and turning makes no difference and it occurs in both Drive and Neutral. At 10 - 20 mph it is most noticeable - a deep knock. Any ideas? Thanks.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Handbrake cable knocking on the propshaft would be my first point of call, judging by your description. There is a clip that holds it to the inside of the transmission tunnel that often breaks/comes loose.

busters the boy!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230e
Sounds similar to the noise I got when my rear driveshaft was worn out.

A deep metallic knock or clang, like 2 pieces of metal being banged together and matching the speed of the wheels. Quite loud.

Mine got worse over a period of about 3 - 4 months and it was present when I accelerated from either a complete stop or when I had taken my foot off accelerator and then pressed it again (if that makes sense). Also when it got worse it started to do it going uphill and round corners too.

I bought a used one off ebay and my local garage fitted it for about £60 labour.

OP
M

Miggy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Panorama Sport 2009
Thanks for all suggestions.

It's going up on a lift and I will let you know if we find the cause..

Last edited:

John Marden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clc180
Have an intermittent knocking sound from rear of car. It occurs when foot is taken off accelerator and is relative to the speed of the car - a slow knock, knock at low speed, and more like a machine gun at high speed. Braking and turning makes no difference and it occurs in both Drive and Neutral. At 10 - 20 mph it is most noticeable - a deep knock. Any ideas? Thanks.
Hi miggy did you find out what knocking noise was I have same problem? Thanks john

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’d check the exhaust hangers and rubbers, good chance it’s not being damped and hitting metal

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom